PDA

View Full Version : Umbillical Hernia

HeavyDutyGuy
09-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Went to the doctor yesterday after battling this for almost 10 momths. He confirmed what I already had suspected. I have an unmbillical hernia- top part of the naval up. Second (supervising) doc confirmed. Said it has to be taken care of. Appointment to consult with surgeon tommorrow. Haven't trained since the North Americans. Much needed layoff. But I want to go to the gym and do some stuff- nothing heavy bentover or deads. But some presses, dips, pulldowns, etc. bad idea? She didn't say I COULDN'T train pre surgery. I have never had a hernia (well she said I probably had this since birth, just opened up over time). The first doc said he had seen much worse in overweight out of shape people. Anyone with experience in this? Also been off test since show. Any harm in starting up with that - modest dose-500 mg type regime?

Granite-Dawg
09-11-2013, 12:46 PM
I had one come up the size of a golf ball above the naval actually could poke it back in and make it look normal. I know I did mine while doing rack pulls on a heavy day. After a few months My surgeon told me I needed to get it taken care of asap and 500 plus deads were never going to happen for me again. During surgery the find out the tear is much larger than anticipated, and don't have a piece of mesh big enough to cover. The surgeon decides to sew my abdominal wall together.

I have proved him wrong about not pulling heavy because I have since done several PL meets where I pulled over 600.

The negative it took me over a year to get back to feeling that my abdomen was strong enough to lift heavy. Taking a dump after surgery will be a miserable chore from the fact that you squeeze with your abdominal muscles.

HeavyDutyGuy
10-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Surgery was succesful. No problems. A lot of pain the first week, lessening each day. 11 days post surgery. No heavy lifting for 30 days til next appointment. Work- light duty. Will start cardio in a couple weeks.

HeavyDutyGuy
01-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Update- 4 months post surgery today. Basically healed though I have had a few ab muscle twinges that have progressively declined in intensity and frequency. Started working out at 8 weeks- very light, 20 reps on everything. Increased week by week over the past 9 weeks. Up to some fairly heavy weights, mostly Hammer or Smith Machine. No heavy deadlifts.

Granite-Dawg
01-20-2014, 09:57 AM
That's great news. Glad you are healing up.

Andon
07-31-2014, 07:08 AM
I have just had my hernia in the groin surgically repaired 7 days ago, pain has gradually decreased with each passing day, taking a dump is very hard as you need to squeeze with those muscles.