PDA

View Full Version : Ayurvedic Medicine?

sassy69
07-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Just curious if anyone has any experience w/ this, has explored it at all, and to our own guru, Miss Leigh, what do you think of it?

I know Oprah made it uber popular when she invited Deepak Chopra on her show in 1994 and his book "Ageless Body, Timeless Mind" reportedly sold 137K copies in a single day after that appearance.

(Side joke I heard on the late nite radio show "Coast to Coast", w/ Art Bell -- any science fiction / conspiracy / late nite people will recognize this readio show --- when Chopra was being interviewed and the subject of the Oprah show came up. Chopra goes "What would Oprah's name be if we got married? Oprah Chopra!" ... gag... )

Anyway, I've also come across a number of people diagnosed w/ various flavors of cancer, who have included ayurvedics, including massage, acupuncture and other "alternative" stuff (herbals, diet change, etc) to work their way thru chemo treatment and continued recovery / maintenance of their conditions.

One might extend the idea that w/ the stress of both extreme diet & training, along w/ AAS and other ancillaries, something like this might offer an interesting support to the body.

Thoughts?

BTW when you do a google search on Ayurvedics, the Himalaya Herbal Healthcare company comes up often. One often mentioned product is LIV-52 for liver support. So it would seem that Ayruvedics are not that far out from the common stuff mentioned in discussion of AAS use.

schullax
07-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I have a bit of experience with ayurvedic medicine. I do what's called oil pulling.. Which is where you take coconut, sesame or sunflower oil and swish it around like mouth wash 15 to 20 minutes per day (like when you first get up & haven't had anything to eat or drink).. then you spit it out and brush your teeth and tongue (i use tooth soap or dr bronner's soap, never toothpaste. it's too hard on your teeth!)... my teeth have gotten whiter. :) the purpose of doing oil pulling is to pull toxins out of your body through your mouth.. if you use coconut oil, it is likely that you'll have some sores in your mouth for a couple days, but it works!! try not to swallow the oil, because it's full of toxins.

that's the extent of my experience with ayurvedic medicine, but it's been a positive one! and that's something simple that pretty much anyone can do. :) i'm currently reading a book about different ayurvedic stuff. i'm interested in trying new things and improving my health.. so i'm new to it.. can't really say much, but i have heard that acupuncture and stuff is very helpful. if it's something you think would benefit you at all, then you should definitely try it!

Lee Penman
07-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Just curious if anyone has any experience w/ this, has explored it at all, and to our own guru, Miss Leigh, what do you think of it?

I know Oprah made it uber popular when she invited Deepak Chopra on her show in 1994 and his book "Ageless Body, Timeless Mind" reportedly sold 137K copies in a single day after that appearance.

(Side joke I heard on the late nite radio show "Coast to Coast", w/ Art Bell -- any science fiction / conspiracy / late nite people will recognize this readio show --- when Chopra was being interviewed and the subject of the Oprah show came up. Chopra goes "What would Oprah's name be if we got married? Oprah Chopra!" ... gag... )

Anyway, I've also come across a number of people diagnosed w/ various flavors of cancer, who have included ayurvedics, including massage, acupuncture and other "alternative" stuff (herbals, diet change, etc) to work their way thru chemo treatment and continued recovery / maintenance of their conditions.

One might extend the idea that w/ the stress of both extreme diet & training, along w/ AAS and other ancillaries, something like this might offer an interesting support to the body.

Thoughts?

BTW when you do a google search on Ayurvedics, the Himalaya Herbal Healthcare company comes up often. One often mentioned product is LIV-52 for liver support. So it would seem that Ayruvedics are not that far out from the common stuff mentioned in discussion of AAS use.
Some ayurvedic formulas are very effective but if you are going for a truly effective alternative therapy I have had many people tell me that Chinese herbal preperations are the very best.

NubianBeauty
07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Whoa! Coconut oil causing sores in the mouth? Never heard of it. I use EVCO as part of my thyroid support for years and never had any issues with swallowing it or cooking with it. Matter of fact its the only time I have been able to lose fat since my troid was removed.