PDA

View Full Version : Ob/gyn and gear use

tammyp
07-02-2009, 05:41 PM
PRIVATE PM QUESTION:

Have any of you ladies been asked by your doctor or specifically gynecologist about your ‘enlarged clitoris’? I was told she didn’t want to ‘offend me’ but noticed during examination that mine was enlarged. Then she asked if I was on any supplements to cause it and asked if I would be tested for elevated Test and DHEA levels – as well as 170H-P and andro. I’ve had irregular and prolonged bleeding lately off and on and they were trying to determine the ‘cause’. Do you regularly have your levels tested and if so – how long after being on a cycle? I’ve only used anavar, d-bol and once winny at 10mg/day.

KBigz81
07-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Kinda funny you say that cuz my gyno just asked me that the other day. It was funny how he asked me cuz he had this shit eating grin on his face when he said it.

esplendido
07-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm sorry....

O.K....I go away now.

Sistersteel
07-02-2009, 10:05 PM
PRIVATE PM QUESTION:

Have any of you ladies been asked by your doctor or specifically gynecologist about your ‘enlarged clitoris’? I was told she didn’t want to ‘offend me’ but noticed during examination that mine was enlarged. Then she asked if I was on any supplements to cause it and asked if I would be tested for elevated Test and DHEA levels – as well as 170H-P and andro. I’ve had irregular and prolonged bleeding lately off and on and they were trying to determine the ‘cause’. Do you regularly have your levels tested and if so – how long after being on a cycle? I’ve only used anavar, d-bol and once winny at 10mg/day.

Can you please be more specific in terms of time frames when you make reference to irregular and prolonged bleeding? Are we talking about longer periods or was it a hemorrhage that led to you seek medical attention?

How long ago did you use anavar, dbol and winny? Was that a single cycle or did you run the compounds separately? How long did you cycle for?
How long after your cycle did you start to experience the issues you've mentioned?

Usually, a disruption in the monthly cycle is quite common on any steroid, even one as mild as anavar. Amenorrhea is as common a side effect as is an enlarged clitoris for women on gear. Post cycle, your system bounces back and your hormones normalize gradually. Had you experienced a cessation of your monthly period while on cycle, you would eventually start mensing again (or at least you would hope to). However, sometimes the flow is heavier than what you were normally accustomed to and you might still miss a period here and there. The body has a miraculous way of fixing itself and everything resumes its natural course, in due time.

That being said, It is my opinion that your menstrual irregularities are attributed to your gear usage. It is my assumption that you have not been off cycle long since you still have noticeable clitoral hypertrophy on relatively mild drugs, whether you had run them individually or in a stack (which honestly makes no sense to me at all. The only possible reasoning for stacking three orals significantly increasing hepatoxicity, would have to be either a classic case of trypanophobia (fear of injections) or a classic case of stupidity). Though clitoral hypertrophy is an irreversible side effect, I know for a fact that the swelling is reduced significantly post cycle, even on much harsher and more advanced cycles...so i find it strange that the swelling is noticeable at all in your case.

As for blood work and routine testing..you need to get tested BEFORE and after cycling for more accurate monitoring. The severity of the cycle will typically determine how long it takes your body to bounce back and recover. So post-cycle testing can range anywhere from 3 months to an entire year. Sometimes the recovery process is expedited with prescription meds used to induce ovulation and jump start your periods. This phase is typically accompanied by severe psychological and emotional disturbances that can only lead to deeper issues, depression and loss of libido being the mildest of symptoms.

If the blood loss you are experiencing during your periods is not alarming, (as in it has had no negative impact on your RBC count or resulted in an iron deficiency), and if you are not hemorrhaging (which basically means you are not having multiple periods throughout the course of a single month), I would give your body the time it needs to recover, without disrupting that process. That is what appears to be happening, in my opinion. Your bodily functions are trying to resume their natural course and you are wanting to forcefully expedite things. You are obviously not going to be forward with your doctor about you drug use, which is only going to result in a mess of unanswered questions especially now that the doctor has requested you undergo a series of tests to determine the "cause" of the problem.

I would nod in agreement when the doctor suggests tests or meds, flash him with my most charming smile, thank him for his valuable input and take my sweet self home.

I am not a doctor nor am I qualified to give you medical advice. I cannot make these decisions for you either. I can only suggest alternative approaches based on my experience and it is my opinion that you just need to give yourself some time and let nature take its course. I have seen many women go from having a mild rebound issue post cycle to ending up severely depressed, morbidly obese and emotionally numb, when misled and deluded doctors commence an extensive regimen of hormonal therapy in an attempt to "fix" an issue based on a faulty, erroneous diagnosis.

SS

Tatyana
07-03-2009, 06:20 AM
PRIVATE PM QUESTION:

I woud also recommend you have a cervical smear, and get tested for bacterial vaginosis, chlamydia, gonorrhoea, pelvic inflammatory disease as all of these can cause bleeding between periods.

Brochas8
07-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Can you please be more specific in terms of time frames when you make reference to irregular and prolonged bleeding? Are we talking about longer periods or was it a hemorrhage that led to you seek medical attention?

Thanks for trying to address my questions and help! My bleeding began off and on with only spurts of unexpected blood at the end of April. It would sometimes occur just sitting at my desk at work, or after I lifted heavy in the gym and occassionally after intercourse. It didnt last even a day - it was just spurts of blood here and there but some were heavy such as 'clots'. I never really felt I had a normal menstural cycle that went a day or even a week. My cycles have been irregular since I was a teen thru adulthood. But the spurts were pretty regular from April thru early June when I sought medical attention.

I was also doctoring for abnormal pap smear and I had a cervical biopsy in December which was negative for cancer. So I was already in the care of my gynecologist when the bleeding started.

She also did an ultrasound to check fibroids which I've had for several years - but determined them not to be growing and said that was good they aren't changing.

I ran d-bol and winny at 10mg/day in early January for 8 weeks. I went off it by mid-march prior to my breast augmentation surgery. I ran this cycle alone and didn't use any PCT. I got a horrible outbreak of cystic acne and was treated with heavy and high dosage anitbiotics for several weeks.

My last gyno visit was in early June and that's when she ordered the ultrasound to check the fibroids and I had another pap smear. I just visited my gyno again yesterday, July 2, to discuss the results of the ultrasound and that's when she asked me about my clitoris being enlarged. Maybe due to process of eliminiation that all other tests were proving not reason for the abnormal bleeding? She is also leaving the practice and I am being referred to another female doctor in the group.

I think I should've been upfront with her - and told her I had used 3 supplements in the past. . but I didn't. Not even sure why .. it was just a knee jerk reaction to the question as I was taken back and shocked.

I didn't have the bloodwork done - but I still have the lab order to do it at a future date.

I hope I answered all the questions you asked to help with your response.. and I truly appreciate your indepth answer to my question -it helps me alot..

Tatyana
07-03-2009, 09:32 AM
How old are you now?

I am wondering if you will demonstrate biochemical evidence of menopause.

I am surprised they haven't checked your hormones yet.

Is there any sort of pattern to your periods? If so, then 3-5 days after your period starts is the best to check for menopause.

You also need a thyroid function test.

As you have had ultrasound, I am assuming they have ruled out PCOS.

Are you on any form of birth control pills?

Brochas8
07-03-2009, 10:45 AM
How old are you now? I'm 47 will be 48 in November

I am surprised they haven't checked your hormones yet. I've not had my hormones tested as of yet.. I'm sure she will eventually in time.

Is there any sort of pattern to your periods? If so, then 3-5 days after your period starts is the best to check for menopause. No my periods have had no pattern ever.. it's hit or miss.. and I have an IUD so I have them less and less - if at all.

You also need a thyroid function test.

As you have had ultrasound, I am assuming they have ruled out PCOS. They didn't mentiond PCOS.. and my pap and biopsy were ruled out for the HPV that causes cervical cancer. She said I am good to have 1 year regular pap smear as of now.

Are you on any form of birth control pills? No I have an IUD. Meridia.

Sistersteel
07-03-2009, 09:19 PM
How old are you now? I'm 47 will be 48 in November

Is there any sort of pattern to your periods? If so, then 3-5 days after your period starts is the best to check for menopause. No my periods have had no pattern ever.. it's hit or miss.. and I have an IUD so I have them less and less - if at all.

Are you on any form of birth control pills? No I have an IUD. Meridia.

This certainly broadens the spectrum of possible causes. Abnormal uterine bleeding can be a direct result of a hormonal imbalance in women who are approaching menopause. If you have not experienced the more obvious symptoms yet like hot flashes, mood swings, irregular periods, vaginal dryness etc, you could purchase a home-use test kit to measure follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) in your urine. This will help indicate if you are in menopause or perimenopause. You could have very possibly experienced any of the aforementioned symptoms on cycle, and thought it was the gear. In reality, being on cycle induces menopause-like symptoms. Abnormal bleeding can also be caused by the introduction of an Intra Uterine Device as a form of contraceptive. It is not uncommon for women with an IUD to experience post-coital bleeding. The IUD might even shift during heavy lifting, resulting in a slight tear in the uterus. Uterine perforation can result in more extreme cases.

I am going to take a stab at this, and assume you have not had your Mirena IUD long. You've probably had the uterus fibroid issue before you had your IUD inserted. Mirena IUD can induce fibroid shrinkage during menopause, which can help avoid having to undergo a hysterectomy. That might very well work to your advantage assuming menopause were the underlying cause of your symptoms. However, on the flip side, let us assume you had your IUD inserted before discovering the fibroids in your uterus. The fibroids could eventually increase in size due to an increase in estrogen, which is very likely to result from the coupling of a hormonal IUD with steroids that could possibly aromatize. That could result in the fibroids embedding the IUD in the uterine wall. So, it’s a hysterectomy waiting to happen no matter how you look at it.

This analogy leads me to the conclusion that the bleeding you are experiencing is more than likely attributed to your IUD and how your body is responding to the hormonal fluctuations caused by possible menopause, the hormones in the IUD itself, and of course, the gear. The fibroid issue could be indirectly posing a problem for you as a result of this more complex underlying hormonal disturbance. In this case, you need to find out what type of fibroids you have, submucosal, intramural, or pedunculated. Knowing the type and size of the fibroids will provide you with a wider range of treatment options to avoid a hysterectomy. All of this info is important because if you have submucosal fibroids, they can be removed through an outpatient procedure called hysteroscopic resection which usually resolves bleeding symptoms.

That is my personal observation and should in no way serve as a substitute for the advice of a licensed physician. I am simply trying to provide you with a different perspective.

SS

On a side note, you mentioned having a cervical biopsy in December after an abnormal paps, yet that did not deter you from starting your cycle early January,…I could not resist the urge to ask.. why on earth would you start a cycle within days of an abnormal paps, knowing that you had to get routinely retested in the near future for precautionary measures? …not a wise and responsible decision in my opinion.

NubianBeauty
07-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I would say no to those tests. The results will get put in your chart... matter of fact the question alone and his/her suspicions are now there and subject to your insurance company. Time to switch Drs. Believe me they know already when they look @ you if you have a significant amount of muscle. Ask for a complete copy of your chart to see what is in there already. That's is your right. I'm with SS on this no way would I have started a cycle right after an abnormal pap. Get the problem addressed before use again. I suspect its a combo of things. Just your age alone puts you in the pre/-menopause field which your symptoms/issues could be the result.

Brochas8
07-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks SS, NubianBeauty and Tatyana for all your assistance, advise and suggestions.. It helped alot.. I appreciate all your help.