PDA

View Full Version : football and strength training

bigcountry86
07-03-2009, 12:06 AM
im 6'7" 340. i love body building but im still a football player for a few years. i think football workouts are stupid and i have never had any good gains using one. does anybody have any good workout routins that include everyday bb routins and good football power lifts that actually work? Thanks

crashcrew56
07-03-2009, 12:24 AM
I can't remember the exact program I used to use when I was playing ball, but it was a combination of exercises that would help w/ football and bb ones. I would keep my rep range between 4-6 and I would start my workout with the core exercises. The routine was a push/pull one and on the pull days I would start with squats and then I would do power cleans, and then I would move to more bb style exercises.

I guess what I'm trying to say in short is to start your workouts with your core exercises that will transfer to the field and then once those are done add in your bb exercises

robert da strongman
07-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Bill Starr has a good book on that...sorry cant remember off the top of my head.

bigcountry86
07-03-2009, 02:35 PM
thanks

tjoe
07-03-2009, 08:00 PM
This probably won't help but here goes...
I trained with a kid that played college ball.
All off season he trained strongman events! I don't know if that's all he did or if he threw in other stuff as well but he was FREAKY!
You have to admit things like a farmers walk/yoke and tire flip would have tremendous carryover to the feild!

Thad
07-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Take a look at Joe Defranco's workouts.

BigJD69
07-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I would stick with basic movements bench presses, clean&jerk, presses, squats etc.

BK
07-05-2009, 10:30 AM
im 6'7" 340. i love body building but im still a football player for a few years. i think football workouts are stupid and i have never had any good gains using one. does anybody have any good workout routins that include everyday bb routins and good football power lifts that actually work? Thanks
I don't know exactly what a football workout is. Never heard that term. Strength & conditioning coaches formulate there own program and implement what they have had success with. Some programs are good but some are shit. BB and football go together like oil and water. They don't belong in the same sentence. Do the things that are gonna make u a better football player. Squats, pulls, cleans, DB and barbell presses done flat, incline and overhead, and Plyometrics. Those are your basic movements. Accessory movements are abs, low back and grip work.

cook
07-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Bill Starr has a good book on that...sorry cant remember off the top of my head.
" The Strongest Shall Survive "