PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Normal Charge for a Coach?

SadFatty
07-03-2009, 05:04 PM
The girl I am working with charges differently for the last 2 weeks of a contest preparation. It is more expensive than the regular weeks.

Is this normal? She says the last 2 weeks change drastically.

Scoobysnacks
07-03-2009, 06:20 PM
There is no set way that someone does fees, that said I know with my people its known UPFRONT what the ENTIRE prep will cost. From my experience and chats with others like Layne and Skip they are the same way. The price is quoted and that covers all.

This isnt rocket science and there isnt some secret she has for the final two weeks. Id be leary, but its a free market she can structure it how she wants if you agree to it.

Ss

SadFatty
07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the response. She insists the last couple weeks are very different. I will be overseas the last couple but she will work with me online and on the telephone. I've paid most up front but I think I'll wait before I give her payment for the last couple weeks to see how I progress.

MsGuns
07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Ive had 2 trainers in my career and the price has never changed.
You need to ask her why the price changes.

Jodie
07-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I've had several prep people...I have never had to pay additional for the last week or two leading into the show. Being that I do not know who is doing your preps, you may be paying very little which might be why she charges more the last couple weeks. I've heard of trainers doing this, just never experienced it myself. I want to know the ENTIRE cost upfront. The last two weeks are the most important weeks of dieting....The last 10 days is what makes or breaks your preps.

The Big Sexy
07-06-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm surprised. Usually it's for the whole prep... I know people here charge 400/month for nutritional consults for a show... unless you are also "training" with them - (buying sessions) then you get a little break.

Now, I could totally see it if you came to them with only 2 weeks left. For one, their name is on the line (so, there is a price for that) especially if you don't look like you should coming into the show. Also, the last 2 weeks (10 days) is typically the part that people have trouble with... most people can get down to lean, but then will fuck up the remaining last few days.

however, if she charges... say $70 a week, and then charges you $150 for a week for the last two... that's kind of F'd up

MattyH7688
07-06-2009, 06:02 PM
sounds like a scam.. she knows she has you already in for the whole thing and can charge whatever.. what are you gonna tell her for the final week? no?

fitmomma3
07-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I've worked with a coach that charged extra for the dry out week... it involves a lot of details with food and timing amounts, supplement timing, water and or sodium, carb up, not to mention I talked on the phone to them several times the last week. It wasn't anything astronomical though in price VERY reasonable and inexpensive and I knew about it upfront. I don't think it's that big a deal as long as A- you know before hand and they don't blind side you with it and B - they overall cost is still reasonable to you.

TigerUpperCut
07-07-2009, 12:18 AM
i was emailing layne about signing up and i noticed his prices went up

SadFatty
07-07-2009, 02:57 PM
I paid her all up front in cash but I did get a receit. I told her I was doing a bikini competition but when I told her it was in Europe that is when she told me the last 2 weeks have to change. She has said the look is different. I think she is being reasonable in price but I have nothing to compare it with. I do like her so far however.

Yung Wun
07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
so she just sprung the additional fees on you just recently and did not inform you when you first hired her? I have to agree with MattyH, seems like the trainer found another way to milk this thing out for all its worth. The fees should be upfront and no fine print.

Ken "Skip" Hill
07-16-2009, 08:03 PM
This type of thing is an ongoing problem in this business. Good trainers with good reps will give you their fees up front and they will be very black and white. If you run into ANY issues about fees, I would seriously question that trainer because those fees should have been set from the very first day and be crystal clear.

I have a fee for only the last couple weeks because some people can get lean just fine but want me to take them into a show with my loading protocol, drying out, etc.. It is not cheap. However, if someone works with me for a full prep - start to finish - there is only the one fee. If someone is trying to charge you for the last couple weeks on top of the usual prep fee, they are trying to rip you off.

There are a MILLION prep people in this sport and I always tell people to go with someone that is reputable. It just seems that people want to save money and when you start paying small fees for people that don't have the reputation both for taking care of clients and getting results, you get what you pay for. I see it so often and hear about it from clients that come to me that it makes me sick.

Skip

Curt James
07-16-2009, 08:36 PM
The girl I am working with charges differently for the last 2 weeks of a contest preparation. It is more expensive than the regular weeks.

Is this normal? She says the last 2 weeks change drastically.

Supply and demand (or free market as has been mentioned) applies.

Are you seeing this trainer more often during the last two weeks?

I can well imagine her charging differently if she only saw you once a month or once per week previously. If she's meeting with you or emailing/phone con daily during the last two weeks then it seem obvious that you'll be paying more in total for that time period.