PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a Bodybuilding Hall of Fame?

GREENMACHINE23
02-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Do we need a brick and mortar Bodybuilding Hall of Fame and where should it be located? Post your answer and why.

buster12
02-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Yes and no. It would mean alot to us, but im not sure how many people would visit it....

Mouse
02-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Baseball has lots of memorabilia in their hall. What are you going to fill it with? Used lifting straps?

It'll never happen...ever. You'll see a hall of fame for the Ice Capades first.

GREENMACHINE23
02-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I choose Columbus based on its ties to bodybuilding competitions.
I think that the more bodybuilding is placed in the public eye the more accepted it will become. I know that not everyone would accept it ,but that is o.k. too. This is our sport, our passion, and I think that we deserve a place to show the world what bodybuilding is all about.

-Z-
02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
No. Hall of fames are for sports, not beauty pageants.

GREENMACHINE23
02-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Baseball has lots of memorabilia in their hall. What are you going to fill it with? Used lifting straps?

I'm sure that there is a lot of bodybuilding memorabilia out there too.
Trophies, Art work, photographs, etc.

Curt James
02-17-2009, 07:23 PM
I call it a sport! :mad:

:p

Eff the world, though. Don't care to educate anyone on why bodybuilding competition is "worthwhile" or to be valued.

It is. It just is.

And there's an argument for each poll choice:

Columbus, Ohio is home to the Arnold Classic and the Mr. World before it.

New York was the site for the first Mr. Olympia as well as the NOC and other competitions.

Venice Beach for obvious reasons including "ARNOLD! ARNOLD! ARNOLD!" (Everyone catch Big Lou on HMR last night?), the original Gold's, and Muscle Beach.

And "Other" as the HOF should go wherever MuscleTech (or BSN or ON or...) says as it's the supp co with the deepest pockets of all and therefore the most likely to break ground on even a modest facility to showcase the sport's heroes and heroines.

I voted for "The Mecca" as it's truly a coin toss, imo.

And lifting straps?

How about housing a version of Brian Moss' Vintage Gym?

Pictures and audio (push the button and hear the narrator speak) biographies of the athletes, male and female.

An actual gym and/or Pit for visitors who would love to say, "I trained at the Hall of Fame!"

Gift shop mandatory.

Supplement shop? Obviously.

Now if MT (or BSN or ON or...) builds and maintains the facility/gym/museum then I guess visitors will only see their supps, but what if Lorimer or some other person or company invests in the idea of a HOF?

What would "YOU" include in the HOF?

Straps. P'shaw, Mouse. I've read your posts and KNOW your imagination is better than that. :)

Mouse
02-17-2009, 07:27 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Curt James
02-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Do we need a brick and mortar Bodybuilding Hall of Fame and where should it be located?

Yes.

I "checked" Venice Beach, but would be glad to see it built anywhere.

"Yes, I need a passport, please. They built the Bodybuilding Hall of Fame in Sri Lanka."

Mouse
02-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Sorry Curt. I spelled that wrong:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

;)

thechampofchamp
02-17-2009, 07:30 PM
" And if you look to your right, you will see a yellowish white towel onced used by the great Franco Columbo to dry his testicular area after a heavy day of squats" oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo "cameras clicking"

Curt James
02-17-2009, 07:31 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I will kill you.

(with a modicum of civility)

Okay, okay! With... kindness. :mad:

Curt James
02-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Sorry Curt. I spelled that wrong:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

;)

In-fi-DEL! I must keel... you... aGAAAIN!

Mike Hunt
02-17-2009, 07:34 PM
It wont happen.There wouldnt be enough people interested.People will always visit baseball hall of fame museums but the average joe would rather look at sports than bodybuilding related things.

Mike Hunt
02-17-2009, 07:35 PM
" and if you look to your right, you will see a yellowish white towel onced used by the great franco columbo to dry his testicular area after a heavy day of squats" oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo "cameras clicking"
lol

GREENMACHINE23
02-17-2009, 07:59 PM
I wonder what the pros think about the question at hand?

GREENMACHINE23
02-17-2009, 08:00 PM
I call it a sport! :mad:

:p

Eff the world, though. Don't care to educate anyone on why bodybuilding competition is "worthwhile" or to be valued.

It is. It just is.

And there's an argument for each poll choice:

Columbus, Ohio is home to the Arnold Classic and the Mr. World before it.

New York was the site for the first Mr. Olympia as well as the NOC and other competitions.

Venice Beach for obvious reasons including "ARNOLD! ARNOLD! ARNOLD!" (Everyone catch Big Lou on HMR last night?), the original Gold's, and Muscle Beach.

And "Other" as the HOF should go wherever MuscleTech (or BSN or ON or...) says as it's the supp co with the deepest pockets of all and therefore the most likely to break ground on even a modest facility to showcase the sport's heroes and heroines.

I voted for "The Mecca" as it's truly a coin toss, imo.

And lifting straps?

How about housing a version of Brian Moss' Vintage Gym?

Pictures and audio (push the button and hear the narrator speak) biographies of the athletes, male and female.

An actual gym and/or Pit for visitors who would love to say, "I trained at the Hall of Fame!"

Gift shop mandatory.

Supplement shop? Obviously.

Now if MT (or BSN or ON or...) builds and maintains the facility/gym/museum then I guess visitors will only see their supps, but what if Lorimer or some other person or company invests in the idea of a HOF?

What would "YOU" include in the HOF?

Straps. P'shaw, Mouse. I've read your posts and KNOW your imagination is better than that. :)

:D I like your outlook.

ZacharyKane
02-17-2009, 08:10 PM
I doubt it'll ever happen, but if it did it would definitely be a move to help make the sport more mainstream.

svtmuscle
02-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Yes, it'd give people something to actually put their hands on and understand bodybuilding a little more to realize it's a real 'sport' and not just a weird cult sport

It'd be great if a bodybuilding hall of fame had something such as:
*Life-size statues of all Mr. Olympias
*Original equipment used by people like Arnold, Dorian, Ronnie, Sergio, etc (lifting straps, dumbells, belts, machines, plates, etc)
*History of bodybuilding montage
*Posters of all IFBB bodybuilders
*Pictures of the competitions, stages, and backstage views

Curt James
02-18-2009, 01:08 AM
:D I like your outlook.

:) Thanks! Great thread, GREENMACHINE23!

Yes, it'd give people something to actually put their hands on and understand bodybuilding a little more to realize it's a real 'sport' and not just a weird cult sport

It'd be great if a bodybuilding hall of fame had something such as:
*Life-size statues of all Mr. Olympias
*Original equipment used by people like Arnold, Dorian, Ronnie, Sergio, etc (lifting straps, dumbells, belts, machines, plates, etc)
*History of bodybuilding montage
*Posters of all IFBB bodybuilders
*Pictures of the competitions, stages, and backstage views

And I like YOUR outlook.

Sledge
02-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Can't see how it would work. Sheesh bodybuilders can't agree on who won one show let alone who should be in a hall of fame.

The only way I could see it happening would be if a gym or business built one at there own cost. Then of course they would decide who was inducted into the freak hall of fame.

charlie
02-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I think it'd be a great idea. I'd visit it for sure, and it would add some organization and unification to this fragmented sport. The place that immediately comes to mind is, of course, The Mecca. The site of the original Gold's Gym is hallowed ground :)

Curt James
02-18-2009, 01:58 AM
I hadn't thought it through, actually, but I'd want it to be a non-IFBB or, I mean, not just IFBB competitors.

There's an entire spectrum or array of federations past and present. WBBG, AAU, etc.

The Bodybuilding HOF would have to be located in Southern Italy! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_of_Croton)

huge285
02-18-2009, 03:16 AM
I'd like to see it anywhere!

rich_fox117
02-18-2009, 03:29 AM
i voted for columbus because i could actually make it there to see it being in michigan and all

it would be a really really tough sell, but if they ever did it would be a true sight to see

GREENMACHINE23
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
I hadn't thought it through, actually, but I'd want it to be a non-IFBB or, I mean, not just IFBB competitors.

There's an entire spectrum or array of federations past and present. WBBG, AAU, etc.

The Bodybuilding HOF would have to be located in Southern Italy! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_of_Croton)

Yes. All federations should be represented.

GREENMACHINE23
02-18-2009, 06:06 PM

Where ever it may one day be located, I will make the pilgrimage.
Thanks for the post Dave.

greuceanu
02-18-2009, 06:25 PM

Fill it with Nasser's used underwear:p

Outlaw53
02-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Yes. All federations should be represented.
I agree, but that's the end of the "Hall of Fame" then.
I hardly think that all the federations will all sit around together and show respect to each others athletes.

This could never happen - too many egos.

Curt James
02-18-2009, 08:12 PM
It would have to be operated by an organization or person without an attachment to any federation then.

By fans and for the fans.

And HOF doesn't necessarily require a "winner" or first place ranking descending to "worst bodybuilder ever" status.

No judging of those initially noted as being worthy of HOF status.

I'd nominate all the Olympia winners, all NABBA Mr. Universe champions, all WBBG Mr. Olympus winners, what else?

If I win the lottery twice, well, this thing will have a Hall of Ms. Olympia, Ms. International, and NABBA women as well as an AAU wing bookcasing the NPC wing, yo.

I guess you're right, though. Anyone attempting to create a HOF would require individual fed approval for use of their copyrighted titles, right? :(

Meh. So I win the lottery THREE times and grease a few palms. :mad:

BigAl33
02-19-2009, 12:32 AM

You'd be in it Dave!! For Sure!

It would have to be operated by an organization or person without an attachment to any federation then.

By fans and for the fans.

And HOF doesn't necessarily require a "winner" or first place ranking descending to "worst bodybuilder ever" status.

No judging of those initially noted as being worthy of HOF status.

I'd nominate all the Olympia winners, all NABBA Mr. Universe champions, all WBBG Mr. Olympus winners, what else?

If I win the lottery twice, well, this thing will have a Hall of Ms. Olympia, Ms. International, and NABBA women as well as an AAU wing bookcasing the NPC wing, yo.

I guess you're right, though. Anyone attempting to create a HOF would require individual fed approval for use of their copyrighted titles, right? :(

Meh. So I win the lottery THREE times and grease a few palms. :mad:

I hope you win the lottery Curt, but I'm not comin' to HOF in Carlisle

Curt James
02-19-2009, 12:51 AM
You'd be in it Dave!! For Sure!

X2

I hope you win the lottery Curt, but I'm not comin' to HOF in Carlisle

If I win the lottery three times? I pay to have you and your family driven by limo to visit the Bodybuilding Hall of Fame in Carlisle, bro. :D