PDA

View Full Version : Edge injured (now confirmed)

~gymdiva~
07-04-2009, 01:01 PM
see, this is a prefect example of how technology has changed so much in the wrestling world...this was sent at the show to the wrestlezone website...

Ivan B. sent along the following:

I am attending a WWE house show here in San Diego, CA. and I just witnessed Edge get injured during his match with Jeff Hardy.

He was running towards Jeff and appeared to have either twisted or even broken his ankle. His foot was in a very awkward position. The match was immediatley stopped.

EMTs came running to attend him and he was helped out of the ring. He even took the time to take the mic and say "sorry" to the fans.

Ivan B.

Sent from my iPhone

I'll keep an eye out for any further details (as I know you guys will, too)...this would kinda suck since they just put the tag titles on him and Jericho...we'll see what happens...they have some tv time off so we may never witness any down time for him...

~gymdiva~
07-04-2009, 09:19 PM
it's true folks! here's the update:

WrestleZone Update: We have been able to confirm the above fan report. Edge did injure himself during the house show and apologized to fans. Apparently the injury is severe enough to require surgery and a lengthy absence from in-ring competition. We'll have a very detailed update on this story later today in the news.

ANADROLicfreak
07-04-2009, 09:20 PM
that is ok with me i hate him.

~gymdiva~
07-04-2009, 09:22 PM
more:

In an update on the story we broke first exclusively here on WrestleZone.com last night, we can now confirm the injury to Edge at the WWE house show. He injured it about five minutes into the match and at this point the injury is believed to be a torn Achilles tendon.

As we noted in our initial report, Edge did get on the microphone and apologize to the fans for having to cut the match short. The spot the injury occured wasn't even really a spot. Edge just planted his foot wrong and went down with his leg at a bad angle.

That is actually quite a serious injury and will likely require surgery and a long period of down time for Edge. According to one source, the plan is to try and get the Unified tag-team titles, which Edge currently holds with Chris Jericho, onto the team of Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase - Legacy.

Right now company officials are scanning footage of the Edge vs. Great Khali match taped on Wednesday night for next week's SmackDown! TV show trying to find a spot where they can claim on TV for storylines that Edge was injured. [partial credit: f4wonline.com]

~gymdiva~
07-04-2009, 09:25 PM
oy, he could be out until 2010...

A decision on how to explain the injury sustained by Edge at last night's WWE house show in San Diego will be made by the company prior to July 13th, which is the next live television taping. A decision will also be made before that taping on what to do with the WWE Unified tag-team titles, which Edge currently co-owns with Chris Jericho.

As we noted in an earlier report, the titles will probably be switched to Legacy's Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes. Because Edge appears in a match already taped for the July 10th WWE SmackDown!, it is doubtful the company will be mentioning anything about the titles until after that show airs, unless it's a note on WWE.com or something along those lines.

The injury Edge suffered, which is a torn Achilles tendon, generally requires surgery with about eight months - possibly longer - for recuperation. If that is how things play out for Edge, he'll be on the sidelines until potentially March of 2010. The same injury has ended the careers of a lot of pro athletes apparently, although it probably won't be career-threatening for Edge as once recovered you lose some speed, which isn't as big a deal to a top wrestler as it would be a football player, etc. [credit: f4wonline.com]

~gymdiva~
07-04-2009, 09:26 PM
that is ok with me i hate him.

I haven't been a fan of his character in a while but I certainly would never wish this kind of an injury on someone...hope he has a successful surgery and rehab...

ANADROLicfreak
07-04-2009, 09:29 PM
i dont want anyone hurt.just dont care for edge.

LANCE ADAM
07-05-2009, 02:44 AM
edge is great, hes a top heel and sd need shim BAD! maybe morrison can shine now and take on a good role (heel or face)

TheCutMan
07-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I have never been a big "Edgehead" but this devastating injury saddens me nonetheless. Adam Copeland is working his butt off in the WWE and has worked his way up from a nobody to one of the best workers in the business today.
I really liked the recent angle with him and Jericho as tag champs. People were getting a little bit bored of him being in the main event now for such a long time. Not because he lacks main event potential but because of the booking. This "Ultimate Opportunist" storyline over and over again finally sucked badly in my opinion.
Therefore it was a good turn to get him out of the main event for some time and team him up with Y2J - another great, great performer.
Really sad to hear now that Edge will be out until January of 2010.

I hope he gets well soon. :)

~gymdiva~
07-07-2009, 02:52 PM
WWE.com is reporting that Edge will undergo surgery today to repair the torn Achilles heel tendon he suffered at a house show this past weekend. The surgery will take place in Birmingham, Alabama, and will be performed by Dr. James Andrews. Joey Styles, who wrote the report on WWE.com, noted that we should have a time line on Edge's return to the ring shortly following the surgery.

memphismuscle
07-07-2009, 03:30 PM
edge was only good when he was in the Brood

"Rodz"
07-07-2009, 09:54 PM
I wish him the best, and also feel for the writers, it seemed like they scrambled to put the belts on him and Jericho, now they have to change gears again

~gymdiva~
07-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Jason Powell of Prowrestling.net is reporting that WWE creative was considering future plans of turning Edge babyface prior to the Achilles tendon injury he received this past weekend. Although the face turn was reportedly not going to happen immediately, but rather slowly build to a full turn sometime before or after Royal Rumble in 2010, there were definite discussions to go in that direction with Edge creatively. The plan would have seen Edge enter Wrestlemania 26 as a babyface, which is something WWE fans have not seen in years. It is unknown at this point whether or not WWE plans to re-introduce Edge as a face or heel when he returns from injury sometime next year.

~gymdiva~
07-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I was giving this some thought the other day and you know, if played out correctly by both creative and the wrestlers, this could turn into a big opportunity for Dibiase/Rhodes should they go ahead with the plans to put the belts on them...now the sad thing is that with what little they do with tag teams now they could almost keep the belts on Jericho and Edge until his return but I seriously doubt that would happen...but think of the possibilities...if they made them a serious team with serious opponents, we could be witnessing the rebirth of tag team action...

~gymdiva~
07-09-2009, 01:10 PM
PWInsider.com is reporting that Edge's surgery to repair his torn Achilles tendon, which he had yesterday, was a success. Edge will have to stay off the foot for 10 to 14 days and will then be able to walk on it using a rehab boot. Following the 2 week rest period it's being reported that Edge will be able to begin rehabilitation. As we reported before, Edge is expected to miss anywhere from 6 to 9 months of in-ring competition.

~gymdiva~
07-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Despite officially acknowledging Edge's injury on their website, WWE.com is still promoting the Edge & Chris Jericho vs. Legacy Unified tag-team title match for the "Night Of Champions" pay-per view. It's likely that there will be some kind of angle or explanation done on tonight's RAW and then the website will change the line-up.

so any guesses as to where you think they'll go with this one?

atomicplayboy3000
08-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Jericho loses the belts with guest partner, Edge gets upset and confronts jericho, Jericho beats him down and Edge comes back months later in a run-in and turns face