PDA

View Full Version : To Diet Or To Lifestyle

Ericksmadhouse
07-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Step one to a new lifestyle.
It seems there is always the latest frenzy of diets.
Brand name diets come and go as quickly as Octomom
is having babies. Then there are the “Extreme” diets.

I would say over 95% of diets out there work. I do
question ones health on extreme diets that
advertiser losing 7-10 pounds per week; when a
healthy weight loss should be no more than
2-3 pounds a week.

The problem with the word “DIET” is that you can't
stay on them forever. One could end up with serious
health issues staying on an “Extreme” diet over the
recommended length of time.

Forget the diets, forget the calorie counting unless
you're a professional athlete. How about a lifestyle
change. Make a decision, a promise to change the
way you're eating, to excersie consistently, to have
a new LIFESTYLE on your own health.

Start by a decision. Write your goals down on a
3 x 5 card and place it on your bathroom mirror.
The goals should be:
How much do you want to weigh.
When do you want to achieve the new weight.

Be realistic on the time issue. You shouldn't be
losing anymore than 2-3 pounds a week after your
first 2 weeks of your new lifestyle.

Take a head to toe photo. Take measurements of
arms, chest, waist, hips (if female) and thighs. Get
serious, take your lifestyle by the horns.

Godzilla
10-04-2009, 08:32 PM
I can not lose weight unless I limit calories .

Many people can not.

How about a lifestyle that involves limiting calories on a daily basis. After a few months it becomes second nature. And is a lifestyle. Many people have to do this or they will over eat. They can not just stop eating. There has to be a limit.

lomox
10-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I can not lose weight unless I limit calories .

Many people can not.

This is patently untrue on many levels.

1) If you subscribe to "a calorie is a calorie" then you can create a caloric deficit by expending more calores (i.e. exercize more), instead of limiting caloric intake.

2) You can lose "weight" by losing a limb. You want to lose fat.

3) If you follow real science you will learn that all calories are not created equal and since the human body adapts to calorie restriction by slowing metabolism, diets based on such a philosophy will only work in the short term. Fat lost and retention are primarily attributable to hormonal response. In short, the more insulin your body is pumping out the more mass you will gain - more often than not, fat mass. Keep insulin and cortisol low, keep growth hormone and testosterone high and you will wonder why you ever bothered counting calories in the first place. The easy answer on how to do this is pretty much to drop daily consumption of starchy carbs, eat more fat (saturated too, just no trans-fat), eat more protien and when you do eat carbs (preferrably twice a week) dont eat too much fat or protien with them.

Godzilla
10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
This is patently untrue on many levels.

1) If you subscribe to "a calorie is a calorie" then you can create a caloric deficit by expending more calores (i.e. exercize more), instead of limiting caloric intake.

2) You can lose "weight" by losing a limb. You want to lose fat.

3) If you follow real science you will learn that all calories are not created equal and since the human body adapts to calorie restriction by slowing metabolism, diets based on such a philosophy will only work in the short term. Fat lost and retention are primarily attributable to hormonal response. In short, the more insulin your body is pumping out the more mass you will gain - more often than not, fat mass. Keep insulin and cortisol low, keep growth hormone and testosterone high and you will wonder why you ever bothered counting calories in the first place. The easy answer on how to do this is pretty much to drop daily consumption of starchy carbs, eat more fat (saturated too, just no trans-fat), eat more protien and when you do eat carbs (preferrably twice a week) dont eat too much fat or protien with them.

Tryed crap like that. Did not like it and did not work for me. I do not like all meat diets. I like carbs. Calorie counting not being real science? lol

I can't tell you how many different styles of eating I have tried. The only thing that has ever worked for me is eating the foods I like and putting a limit on how much I eat.

Do you think all the fat people in this world could stick to a diet like you just described. :no: Everyone knows that the problem is they just eat to much. So what would happen if they ate less. Would their metabolism shut down and they remain fat.:no: They would lose weight(fat). All because they ate less calories.

When ever someone argues against calorie restriction as a way to lose weight(fat) I have to think this person is misinformed.(to put it nicely)

If you want to get into how protein takes energy to digest which burns more calories just from eating it go head. And all that other Blah Blah Blah stuff. I will stick to what works for me.

lomox
10-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Tryed crap like that. Did not like it and did not work for me. I do not like all meat diets. I like carbs. Calorie counting not being real science? lol

I can't tell you how many different styles of eating I have tried. The only thing that has ever worked for me is eating the foods I like and putting a limit on how much I eat.

Do you think all the fat people in this world could stick to a diet like you just described. :no: Everyone knows that the problem is they just eat to much. So what would happen if they ate less. Would their metabolism shut down and they remain fat.:no: They would lose weight(fat). All because they ate less calories.

When ever someone argues against calorie restriction as a way to lose weight(fat) I have to think this person is misinformed.(to put it nicely)

If you want to get into how protein takes energy to digest which burns more calories just from eating it go head. And all that other Blah Blah Blah stuff. I will stick to what works for me.

Yes thier metabolism slows down and they remain fat. Ask any yo-yo dieter.

Calorie retriction will only work to a point to lose fat. Once you reach that plateu you will either have to lower calories more (impossible forever) or exercise more to continue to lose fat. This is basic human physiology.

I am not talking about the "negative calorie" effect at all. (And nice way to dismiss me with Blah, blah, blah). I am talking about homonal effect on body composition.

Do yourself a favor and troll around and read this site for a few days. Learn from the people here. In fact, just check Dave's latest Q&A where he mentions being able to tell hormonal imbalances by looking at WHERE someone stores fat.

Never said calorie counting wasn't real science. It just needs to be expanded to include an additional dimension of what your body does with the calories you consume. This is regulated by the endocrine system.

I could go on about this, but I really would be just repeating alot of myself and others on these boards. So check them out.

BTW - humans were never meant to consume grain and most starchy carbs. Look into some human history and you'll see that this only became the mainstay of the modern diet in the last few centuries (or millenia depending on your source), a blip on the screen of human history. A blip that coincidentally correlates to a rise in obesity, diabetes and disease. Before that it was meat, veggies, fruits, fish and nuts. The story behind how we got to this point is fascinating - but alas very long. If you are interested, a great book with phenomenal sourcing and research is Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories".

All that being said, if you like what your doing and it works for you then go for it man.

Silidons
10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Yes, I believe in a documentary I watched it was said that if you took the entire time line of how long humans have been alive, and compressed it into one year, we started eating grains yesterday, and vegetable oils 10 minutes ago. In that same time, our heart disease, diabetes, and a plethora of other diseases have gone up by some insane amount.