PDA

View Full Version : what is YOUR training like?

marcusmucheck
07-06-2009, 07:59 AM
days per week? session or hours per day?
wl, pl, strongman, kb, highland games?

crashcrew56
07-06-2009, 09:31 AM
My training has been powerlifting 2x per week, and bodybuilding 3x per week and the pl workouts would last from 3-4 hours. I'm going to change this up now though, I'm going to stop with the bb workout and stick to the pl for a little while and see how I like that for a little while

robert da strongman
07-06-2009, 10:18 AM
saturday--events
sunday--deadlift
monday--cardio
tuesday--press
wednesday--legs
thursday and friday--cardio

smj091977
07-06-2009, 10:46 AM
I workout 4 days a week, starting on monday or tuesday and every weekend off. sometimes a wednesday off, or a friday. Depends on whats going on those weeks. Day 1, squat day, usually only medium heavy, staying at 405 for reps, 1 set all out. I finish with bb calf raises with my squat weight, and a light set of leg curls 80-130 lbs on a old nautilus. Day 2, Bench day, medium weight for reps, right now 315. usually 2 sets, all out. I use a medium grip, thumbs extended just touching the smooth. Followed by weighted dips and maybe some tricep extensions. Day 3, Deadlift day I work up to reps with 500, 535 or a max attempt, 1 set all out. I use a loose belt and I use straps after 500. I usually throw in some curls after and maybe some more grip work, pinch grip with 2-25s or CoC grippers working up to a few with either hand on the 2 or 1 on the 2.5. Day 4, Overhead day. I rotate BB push presses with log presses. BB push presses are multiple sets, until I am totally frustrated or satisfied. Log presses are full clean and press, using the Derek Poundstone technique. I follow both main techniques with strict presses or high incline log presses. I finish day 4 with log rows and lat pulldowns, keeping the weight in the 180-200 range for both. I work events pretty rarely. I will do farmers every couple months, harness sled pulling and heavy stone/sandbag/keg carry about the same. I really need to hit these more.

Ninja Loco
07-06-2009, 11:47 AM
3 X week. Cross fit/MMA style with heavier weights.

BrotherIron
07-06-2009, 11:52 AM
I train 4x week and my routine is a hybrid. It consists of Oly Lifting, Strongman, and Powerlifting.

Ninja Loco
07-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I train 4x week and my routine is a hybrid. It consists of Oly Lifting, Strongman, and Powerlifting.
Now THAT is something I would love to see and get more info on.

robert da strongman
07-06-2009, 11:58 AM

details BI...or post a journal...

BrotherIron
07-06-2009, 12:47 PM
details BI...or post a journal...

lol, I didn't think anyone would honestly be interested in seeing what I do. I'll post my split and you'll be able to see what I do.

robert da strongman
07-06-2009, 12:50 PM
lol, I didn't think anyone would honestly be interested in seeing what I do. I'll post my split and you'll be able to see what I do.

more the merrier. always try to get something out of others training.

tjoe
07-06-2009, 03:09 PM
depends.
currently... 2-3 event days and 1 "arm" day thrown in for my training partner. (check my journal)
after my comp in Aug, back to BBing style... maybe 4-5 days a week... not sure yet.

Ninja Loco
07-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Like hell we wouldnt. Yours doesnt sound like the typical "Monday: chest and bis, Tuesday: Back and tris, Wednesday: Calves, hams, yadda yadda"

or

" I get the bar about 2/3.5 of the way up and squeeze and hold, then 3/4 plus an inch and squeez and hold, then down for a count of 20 and I superset with a cable on one arm and a dumbell in the other for flies. Then I alternate arms"

BOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!!!!!!

BrotherIron
07-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Well I don't know how interesting my schedule is but here goes:

Mon~ Legs: Squats, Front Squats, SLDL, Hacks w/ McDonalds Bar on a small block, Jefferson Lift, Lunges w/ McDonalds Bar (held betw legs)

Tues~ Off Cardio

Wed~ Shoulders: C&J, Push Press, Z Press or 1-Arm Overhead DB Press, Hanging Side Laterals Biceps: Barbell Curls

Thurs~ Off Cardio

Fri~ Back: Deadlifts (traditional), Snatch Pulls or Clean Pulls, Bent Over Rows w/ Bar, Pull Throughs, Seated Good Mornings on Flat Bench, Wide Grip Pullups

Sat~ Chest: Flat Bench, Flat DB Fly Triceps: Close Grip Bench, Weighted Dips, Skullcrushers, 1-Arm Overhead Ext.

Sun~ Off Cardio

If I want I'll come in on Sunday and Flip the Bitch Tire 10-12 times for sets outside which is hella cardio.

I use a more mathematical appraoch to sets and reps. I base everything off percentages and increase them each week for 3 weeks and on the 4th week I drop everything to 50% and lift light. It's my deload week. Than I readjust all my numbers again for the next 4 week cycle.

I also coordinate my diet with my training so that Mon/Wed/Fri are all HIGH days meaning I eat clean carbs like its going out of style. Tu/Th/Sat/Sun are all LOW days. Protein is constant throughout and fats are moderate always.

BrotherIron
07-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention on the Clean Pulls and Snatch Pulls, I do these from "the hang" meaning the start position is just below the knees and I never drop the bar while performing the movement.

I also go ass to floor on my back squats, front squats, and hacks. Doing the hacks on the block helps to really hit the outer quad.

Ninja Loco
07-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention on the Clean Pulls and Snatch Pulls, I do these from "the hang" meaning the start position is just below the knees and I never drop the bar while performing the movement.

I also go ass to floor on my back squats, front squats, and hacks. Doing the hacks on the block helps to really hit the outer quad.
Fuking hell yeah brother!! THAT is what Im talkin about!....... Man Im going to have to youtube some of those exercises in your routine.

I do snatch pulls and press, and I also do them from the hang. My upper forearms hurt so much I can barely pick up a glas of water unless I do it sideways. I cannot do ass to floor on any squat yet, Im training myself to get there without falling. I do get about two to three inches from the safety bar, though. Well basicaly I just cant get the stance right is what it is, not even with bodyweight squats.

tjoe
07-06-2009, 07:43 PM
BI - I'm interested on 2 "numbers"... what do deadlift (apx) and what do you use on Z presses (apx). Just curious. Thanks.

BrotherIron
07-06-2009, 10:09 PM
BI - I'm interested on 2 "numbers"... what do deadlift (apx) and what do you use on Z presses (apx). Just curious. Thanks.

No worries bud. I'm by no means the strongest person but I do well for someone who's had total knee replacement on both knees.

Right now my best deadlift is 285kg which is 627.5lbs. I am hoping to hit 700lb by the end of this year.

For the Z Press I use 185lbs and work reps. I haven't done any heavy singles for it. I use it as an assistance exercise for my Push Press.

BrotherIron
07-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Fuking hell yeah brother!! THAT is what Im talkin about!....... Man Im going to have to youtube some of those exercises in your routine.

I do snatch pulls and press, and I also do them from the hang. My upper forearms hurt so much I can barely pick up a glas of water unless I do it sideways. I cannot do ass to floor on any squat yet, Im training myself to get there without falling. I do get about two to three inches from the safety bar, though. Well basicaly I just cant get the stance right is what it is, not even with bodyweight squats.

You can also just ask me if you can't find it on youtube and I'll do my best to explain it.

Remember when you do a "Snatch Pull from the Hang" to end the movement on your tippee toes shrugging as hard as you can and holding the position for second or two. You explode upward, keeping the bar as close to your body as possible and with your arms straight using a snatch grip. Don't bend your arms during the movement. Than shrug, drive the bar as high as you can and also raise up on your calves. This is a great whole body workout movement. You can also do them with a bend in the elbows, where the bar is driven farther upward. Those are Snatch high pulls.

BK
07-07-2009, 10:22 AM
I train similar to BI as well. Here is what I am doing currently.

Sun: Box Sq, Pull thrus, Rows, Shrugs, Glute-Ham raise, Weighted Abs

Mon: Push Jerks, 8"Log Inc Press (DE), Shoulder press, DB Inc., DB Tris

Tue: Heavy Stretch, Kettlebell work

Wed: O-head Sq, Hang Clean, Box Sq.(DE), Deadlift(DE), Snatch grip RDL,
Pulldowns, Abs, GHR

Th: Heavy Stretch, DB work

Fri: CG Bench, Board Press, Rows, DB clean & press, Skull crushers, Reverse Hyper, abs

DE=Dynamic Effort. I wave the sets and percentages on these
Any clean, jerk,snatch is percentage work and sets and reps wave.
All other movements the sets and reps wave as well.

BrotherIron
07-07-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm working on my shoulder flexibility so I will be able to add Snatches and Overhead Squats to my routine.

If you've never done Overhead Squats, try them sometime. There DAMN hard.

realmccoy
07-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Day#1 Squat
Day#2 bike or sled work
Day#3 Bench press
Day#4 bike or sled work
Day#5 Deadlift
Day#6 Rest or upper body bodybuilding movements
Day#7 Rest or biking

BK
07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm working on my shoulder flexibility so I will be able to add Snatches and Overhead Squats to my routine.

If you've never done Overhead Squats, try them sometime. There DAMN hard.
Overhead squats are great for shoulder flexibility but also for low back flexibility as well. Every athlete or anybody with shitty flexibility should add these in they're regimen.

BrotherIron
07-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Overhead squats are great for shoulder flexibility but also for low back flexibility as well. Every athlete or anybody with shitty flexibility should add these in they're regimen.

That's why I'm working on getting more flexibility in the shoulder b/c I def want to add them in.

Ninja Loco
07-07-2009, 11:40 PM
You can also just ask me if you can't find it on youtube and I'll do my best to explain it.

Remember when you do a "Snatch Pull from the Hang" to end the movement on your tippee toes shrugging as hard as you can and holding the position for second or two. You explode upward, keeping the bar as close to your body as possible and with your arms straight using a snatch grip. Don't bend your arms during the movement. Than shrug, drive the bar as high as you can and also raise up on your calves. This is a great whole body workout movement. You can also do them with a bend in the elbows, where the bar is driven farther upward. Those are Snatch high pulls.
Awesome!! Simply awesome!! Thanks for the tips, bro. You're right, it sounds like a great whole body workout movement. Im going to try and practice it before I have anyone do it.

Oh and by the way....... cant find a Z press. What is that?

Sistersteel
07-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Monday
Fast Clean & Jerks
Cleans from the hang
Power Jerks off the Blocks
Clean Pulls

Tuesday
Deadlift
Bent over BB Rows
Good Mornings
Hyperextensions

Wednesday
Overhead Squats
Snatches from the hang
Snatches off the Blocks
Snatch Pulls

Thursday
Power Cleans
Push Press
Hanging Side Lateral
Barbell Rear Delt Rows

Friday
Clean & Jerk
Snatches
Back Squats
Front Squats

Saturday
Power Snatches
Jerk Drives
RDLs

Sunday
Bis & Tris
Ab Work

BrotherIron
07-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Awesome!! Simply awesome!! Thanks for the tips, bro. You're right, it sounds like a great whole body workout movement. Im going to try and practice it before I have anyone do it.

Oh and by the way....... cant find a Z press. What is that?

Its a variation of the military press. You sit on your butt on the floor with your legs extended, side by side. You back doesn't have any support. You do a military press (to the front). This makes the movement extremely strict and therefore you really have to recruit your shoulders and triceps to drive the bar up. You lower the bar to your clavicles and than drive it up fully extended. Lower is slowly and drive it back up.

Ninja Loco
07-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Hmmmm......... interesting.

Ninja Loco
07-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Monday
Fast Clean & Jerks
Cleans from the hang
Power Jerks off the Blocks
Clean Pulls

Tuesday
Deadlift
Bent over BB Rows
Good Mornings
Hyperextensions

Wednesday
Overhead Squats
Snatches from the hang
Snatches off the Blocks
Snatch Pulls

Thursday
Power Cleans
Push Press
Hanging Side Lateral
Barbell Rear Delt Rows

Friday
Clean & Jerk
Snatches
Back Squats
Front Squats

Saturday
Power Snatches
Jerk Drives
RDLs

Sunday
Bis & Tris
Ab Work
If you werent already married.......... :D

No seriously, Sis, this is one hell of a program. Im being totaly serious here, any chance there might be a training video some day? I really would love for my girls to see it.

chasebny
07-08-2009, 12:31 AM
This is an Incredible thread. Thanks for all contributing.

Sistersteel
07-08-2009, 12:37 AM
If you werent already married.......... :D

No seriously, Sis, this is one hell of a program. Im being totaly serious here, any chance there might be a training video some day? I really would love for my girls to see it.

BrotherIron snagged me before anyone else had a chance. lol

That was just my lifting program. I should add that I have 2.5 hours of Brazillian JuiJitsu Monday though Thursday and I will run an hour of stadiums Friday and Saturday. I flip tires on Sunday for fun.

I have a really good video that I will be uploading very soon. :)

Ninja Loco
07-08-2009, 12:45 AM
BrotherIron snagged me before anyone else had a chance. lolNo wonder he's cool.:D

That was just my lifting program. I should add that I have 2.5 hours of Brazillian JuiJitsu Monday though Thursday and I will run an hour of stadiums Friday and Saturday. I flip tires on Sunday for fun. Now THAT is awesome!! I really wish I could get my girls to like BJJ more but they're all too crazy about the muay thai.

I have a really good video that I will be uploading very soon. :)
SOLID!! Any plans for a full length? Ala Ronnie, Jay, Branch, etc.?

Sistersteel
07-08-2009, 01:32 AM
No wonder he's cool.:D

Now THAT is awesome!! I really wish I could get my girls to like BJJ more but they're all too crazy about the muay thai.

SOLID!! Any plans for a full length? Ala Ronnie, Jay, Branch, etc.?

I reserve full length productions for my private website where I can train naked.

Just kidding.

That is a project I have been considering but do not foresee happening in the near future.

Ninja Loco
07-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Well you're still going to upload some kind of training, I can at least get them to watch that. It's going to be very motivational to see a strong woman who is also sexy doing that type of training. PM me the minute that you have it up, please :)

Sistersteel
07-08-2009, 02:08 AM
Will do :)