PDA

View Full Version : Diet Critique...

sbfigure
07-07-2009, 12:59 PM
*Sigh* Well... I was on my way to another competition this year... yet tried about 6 different diets along the way and needless to say... I WAS NOT GETTING ANYWHERE!!!! i dropped 20lbs during the prep but i was not at all happy with the way i was coming in, so I set it aside and gave up. Maybe I was holding more water/fat due to the whole cortisol stress factor from being under so much pressure from college... anywho... I wanted to start my offseason diet from the weight I was at, and have a year of REAL offseason dieting- aka-- sticking to a diet with a cheat or 2 on the weekends... not a cheat a day like i always did.

here is the frustrating part... I AM TORTURING MYSELF, STICKING TO A DIET, YET MY CLOTHES ARE TIGHT!!!! i want to gouge my eyes out. Maybe someone can critique what I am eating... due to the fact that i am a broke college student.. getting someone to help in my offseason diet is not an option right now so im trying to create it on my own. once i graduate and start preppin for a show i plan on gettin my nutrition guru. anyway the diet is as follows...

Meal 1.
2/3c liquid egg whites, 2 whole eggs
2 slices of ezekiel bread (cinnamon raisen)

Meal 2.
shake (IDS pro whey- mixed berry flavor)

Meal 3.
4oz chicken
1/4c. ezekiel cerel (or 1/2c smashed sweet potato-- or my new fave recipe- baked sweet potato fries- sounds fattening but its just sliced sw.pot. with rosemary and salt baked at 400degrees for 45min.!

Meal 4. **PRE WORKOUT**
SAME AS MEAL 3

Meal 5. **POST WORKOUT**
Shake
2 slices of ezekiel bread or 1/4c ezekiel cereal

Meal 6
4oz london broil
1c green veggie

I TAKE MY FISH OILS, AND MULTI'S religiously... i currently am not running a fat burner-- taking a 6 week break. I drink my coffee black.. i drink diet soda (coke or pepsie zero), 1-2gals. of water a day... and I am still doing cardio 5 times a week, mostly morning on empty stomach sometimes post workout... 30-60 min. depends on how i feel. My goal this offseason is to NOT GET FATTTTT... i have major fatgirl phobia... i dont expect a 6 pack but i dont expect to be wearing a size 10 jean either!!

sorry for the novel....any opinions?

THANKS!!!

sassy69
07-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Seems light on the good fats. Also is your goal to lean out, lean bulk or bulk? Other sources of good low GI carbs are barley, oats, etc. I was on a barley kick up until March. Cheap & very robust carb.

Also I wanted to ask if you've done / considered /ever done a detox diet? That might help reset your body to start back up. Sometimes trying too hard to get somewhere and nothing is working, is a good time to just start from square 1 and clean things out to start over. In the past I've gotten a juicer for like $30 from Target and hit Costco to get whatever bulk veggies I can and just juice away for 4-5 days.

muscles_1976
07-07-2009, 02:50 PM
have you tried following the offseason diet dave posted in his q&a thread? it looks like a solid plan -- and it fits your budget--free :)

tammyp
07-07-2009, 04:12 PM
i dont see many veggies at all and i think its a bit heavy with the ezekiel. how about oats, veggies yams or rice instead? what are your stats and the macro breakdown of this diet?

Northman
07-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Dieting all year around is not healthy in my opinion.

sbfigure
07-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Seems light on the good fats. Also is your goal to lean out, lean bulk or bulk? Other sources of good low GI carbs are barley, oats, etc. I was on a barley kick up until March. Cheap & very robust carb.

Also I wanted to ask if you've done / considered /ever done a detox diet? That might help reset your body to start back up. Sometimes trying too hard to get somewhere and nothing is working, is a good time to just start from square 1 and clean things out to start over. In the past I've gotten a juicer for like $30 from Target and hit Costco to get whatever bulk veggies I can and just juice away for 4-5 days.

i didnt mention the veggies... i eat veggies with meals 3, 4 and 6. its usually a spinach salad.. w/ tbsp on olive oil and vinegar. if i dont have the salad, i have either broccoli or spinach.

I have never done a detox "diet" but i have done a body cleanse using pills after my HORRRRIBLE rebound last year.

my goal is to lean bulk.... :lift3:

sbfigure
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
i dont see many veggies at all and i think its a bit heavy with the ezekiel. how about oats, veggies yams or rice instead? what are your stats and the macro breakdown of this diet?

I switch the carbs around: my carb sources are either
-rolled oats (i try to use sparingly tho because they make me gassy)
-sweet potato/yam
-ezekiel bread or cereal
-brown/white rice (white only post workout)

and the veggies i left out, but i do eat them with meals 3,4,6. usually spinach salad w. tbsp.oil and vinegar., reg. spinach, broccoli, green beans.

My stats: 5'8 170 lbs. (i compete at 140) -- [u can see my competition/photoshoot pics at www.myspace.com/gurleegrlraycn (http://www.myspace.com/gurleegrlraycn)]

I do not have the macro breakdown of this diet.. i will have to work on that.

--i just went out and bought a mix of raw almonds and cashews too.. so when i dont have the salad with the oil i will have 1/4c. of the nuts. thinking bout adding them into meal 2 as well.

does that help any??

sbfigure
07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
have you tried following the offseason diet dave posted in his q&a thread? it looks like a solid plan -- and it fits your budget--free :)

im scared to try that diet right now, cuz i feel like i NEED the carbs. Im in college and i tried a no carb diet while in school and my grades dropped. idk if its in my head or what. I will hopefully begin working with dave in January when I am done with school. that will still give me 7 months in an offseason be4 having to start my 16 week contest prep in July for the 2010 Eastern USAs... for now, i am just trying to do my best on my own.

figurebre
07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I think you need to take a mini 'metabolic reboost' period with your diet. Sounds to me like all the starting/stopping/changing of diets is screwing with u some.
I wouldnt add in cheat meals just yet either...let your body adjust to one thing.
i am definately no expert tho....
BUt I would:
Substitute the ezekial bread for oats, its cheaper anyway.
Use protein sources that are easier to digest ( fish, eggs, shakes)

Once I started competing my Gpa went from a 3.5 to 2.9....woops :)

sbfigure
07-07-2009, 10:00 PM
I think you need to take a mini 'metabolic reboost' period with your diet. Sounds to me like all the starting/stopping/changing of diets is screwing with u some.
I wouldnt add in cheat meals just yet either...let your body adjust to one thing.
i am definately no expert tho....
BUt I would:
Substitute the ezekial bread for oats, its cheaper anyway.
Use protein sources that are easier to digest ( fish, eggs, shakes)

Once I started competing my Gpa went from a 3.5 to 2.9....woops :)

haha i went from a 3.5 to a 2.89! go figure! (no pun intended)

tammyp
07-08-2009, 06:26 AM
once my fat goes low, i lose. you may be that way. high fat works great when im bulking but not when im leaning out. if your eating nuts and using olive oil you may be having too much, along with the amount of carbs your eating. maybe try keeping your carbs around yoour workouts and stick the veggies the rest of the day.

sbfigure
07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
once my fat goes low, i lose. you may be that way. high fat works great when im bulking but not when im leaning out. if your eating nuts and using olive oil you may be having too much, along with the amount of carbs your eating. maybe try keeping your carbs around yoour workouts and stick the veggies the rest of the day.

Thanks so much Tammy. I will give it a try. I am not very good at breaking down macros but a friend of mine does it, so i will have him take a look and figure it all out for me, and ill let you know what im consuming. i will cut back the carbs to meals 1, pre and post workout. and ill keep the fats (olive oil) with my salads throughout the day.:eek:

:)

Melissa
07-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Bre's right...you do have to let your body re-adjust to eating a "normal" amount of food. And the key is to be consistent. I agree with Tammy about keeping carbs primarily around pre and post-workout. I went through my offseason eating only 1/2c oatmeal in the am and one scoop of Carbolyze with 1 and a half scoops of Isolyze postworkout. My fat was pretty high though, and I learned just how efficient my b ody could be fewer carbs. Dammit girl, we need to set aside like 4 hours to catch up on all this crap!

sbfigure
07-08-2009, 10:26 PM
ok so here is the revamp... i started this today...

Meal 1.
1c. egg whites (or 6 egg whites)
1/4c ezekiel cereal/ or 1 slice ezekiel bread or 1/4c oats

Meal 2.
shake (IDS pro whey- mixed berry flavor)
1 oz nuts (almond/cashew)

Meal 3.
4oz chicken
spinach salad w. tbsp olive oil/macadamia nut oil and vinegar

Meal 4. **PRE WORKOUT**
4oz chicken
1/4c. ezekiel cerel (or 4oz smashed sweet potato-- or my new fave recipe- baked sweet potato fries- sounds fattening but its just sliced sw.pot. with rosemary and salt baked at 400degrees for 45min.!
*should i nix the salad here cuz of the carb?*

Meal 5. **POST WORKOUT**
Shake
1/4c ezekiel cereal

Meal 6
4oz london broil

figurebre
07-08-2009, 10:31 PM
if this is your offseason, it just doesnt seem like enough food to me???

sbfigure
07-08-2009, 10:52 PM
thats what i think but when i go to up it, i sweat its like instant growth on my legs and gut...i cant win!!!! i also allow for a cheat or 2 on the weekend... (usually one of the cheats will consist of sushi so its not "too" bad)

apparently this is much like Daves off season figure diet (from what i hear...but i wont know til i actually work with him *crossing my fingers:January*) its also much like a diet a friend of mine was doing in her offseason... so really i just have no idea. haha.. i've been stressin about what i should and shouldnt do. i guess this or something along these lines will have to work until i am ready to caugh over the money to a person trained in this stuff.

but all comments/concerns please still voice cuz i could use the criticism and will take all options into consideration.

sbfigure
07-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Bre's right...you do have to let your body re-adjust to eating a "normal" amount of food. And the key is to be consistent. I agree with Tammy about keeping carbs primarily around pre and post-workout. I went through my offseason eating only 1/2c oatmeal in the am and one scoop of Carbolyze with 1 and a half scoops of Isolyze postworkout. My fat was pretty high though, and I learned just how efficient my b ody could be fewer carbs. Dammit girl, we need to set aside like 4 hours to catch up on all this crap!

i guess i've pretty much shocked my body for the past 4 weeks. i tried to stay on a diet but the weekends got the best of me and i cheated quite a bit, and halted the morning cardio, and took my cardio from 6 days down to 4. so that was my shock therapy. Monday I began my total clean up and my "real" offseason diet, and will only allow for 2 cheats. (one dirty cheat and 1 "cleaner" cheat.. sushi :) ) but YES we definately do have to set aside some time to chat missy. you let me know when and im soooooooo there :) i always loved picking your brain and getting your input!! :D:bowdown:

tammyp
07-09-2009, 06:17 AM
a good rule of thumb is 15x body weight for maintaining. 10 or 12 x for loss.

and if your really blowing it on the weekends, thats why your not losing. an extra 1000 cals each day, and thats a cheat meal out...x 2 days..there went your deficet.

sbfigure
07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
a good rule of thumb is 15x body weight for maintaining. 10 or 12 x for loss.

and if your really blowing it on the weekends, thats why your not losing. an extra 1000 cals each day, and thats a cheat meal out...x 2 days..there went your deficet.

you lost me.... you might want to dumb that comment down a bit.. :p

tammyp
07-09-2009, 06:02 PM
lol.... so if you weigh 120 and want to maintain your weight, multiply that by 15. that is total calorie in take per day. if your eating big on your cheats, a normal meal out is like 1000 cals, and you do that twice a week, that certainly will hinder your weight loss.

sbfigure
07-09-2009, 08:22 PM
ok well the diet i am eating right now is roughly 1500 cals, cuz its very similar to one i was doing... actually it may be lower.. i am having my friend work it out for me tonight... if i were to maintain my look i would have to consume 2550 cals. thats almost 1000 more than i am currently consuming.... so is it that difference that allows me to have my cheat meal? and still maintain?

Suzanne
07-09-2009, 08:43 PM
i didnt mention the veggies... i eat veggies with meals 3, 4 and 6. its usually a spinach salad.. w/ tbsp on olive oil and vinegar. if i dont have the salad, i have either broccoli or spinach.

I have never done a detox "diet" but i have done a body cleanse using pills after my HORRRRIBLE rebound last year.

my goal is to lean bulk.... :lift3:

you cals look way low too low for maintainance at quick glance let alone bulk
if cals are too low you will slwo you metab and gain fat hence tight clothes

i had one trainer had me at 1350 cals and 35 min cardio 7 days a week i was GETTING FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

changed to my current trainer we got my off season up to 3000 cals 30 min 3-4 times a week and low and behold i was leaner and gained muscle and weekly cheat that was pretty damn big and after eating liek this offseason my prep went easy and smotth and i cam in my best ever!

sbfigure
07-09-2009, 09:14 PM

i had one trainer had me at 1350 cals and 35 min cardio 7 days a week i was GETTING FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

changed to my current trainer we got my off season up to 3000 cals 30 min 3-4 times a week and low and behold i was leaner and gained muscle and weekly cheat that was pretty damn big and after eating liek this offseason my prep went easy and smotth and i cam in my best ever!

wow thanks so much for that information!!! i just dont knwo whwere to up my cals!!! i have 6 meals... i eat 4 oz. of protein with 3 aside from the protein from my shakes and eggs! i dont know where to increase. i lift really strong, i push myself to whatever limit i can on my own without dropping weight on myself or throwing weight around a losing form. i do 30 min morning cardio and 30 post workout in most cases 6 times a week.

i have no idea where im going wrong. and today i went shopping for pants... can we say MAJOR DEPRESSION now... :(

Suzanne
07-09-2009, 10:18 PM
wow thanks so much for that information!!! i just dont knwo whwere to up my cals!!! i have 6 meals... i eat 4 oz. of protein with 3 aside from the protein from my shakes and eggs! i dont know where to increase. i lift really strong, i push myself to whatever limit i can on my own without dropping weight on myself or throwing weight around a losing form. i do 30 min morning cardio and 30 post workout in most cases 6 times a week.

i have no idea where im going wrong. and today i went shopping for pants... can we say MAJOR DEPRESSION now... :(

too much cardio for off season work it down
off season i have 6 meals plus pre WO meal plus Post WO meal

depends on what your body responds too I have lots of carbs in my plan and do very well on that I think i am somewehre around 350-400g carbs. They aren't the enemy.

GirlyMuscle
07-09-2009, 10:32 PM
They aren't the enemy to you. I can't do the carb thing. Too many moods swings and binging.

Suzanne
07-09-2009, 11:16 PM
They aren't the enemy to you. I can't do the carb thing. Too many moods swings and binging.

Very true everybody is different.

I would think in general mood swings would come more often with carb cycling then a consistent diet with carbs in it.

And IMO and from what i have seen and read binging is more psychological then physiological in most cases. Again everyone is different so of course not the case for everyone.

GirlyMuscle
07-09-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm just jealous. I wish I could do complex carbs 6 times a day. Even when I was 200 pounds and doing Body For Life I couldn't do that many carbs.

Suzanne
07-09-2009, 11:44 PM

I'm just jealous. I wish I could do complex carbs 6 times a day. Even when I was 200 pounds and doing Body For Life I couldn't do that many carbs.

the body is a weird thing!

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
07-10-2009, 12:38 AM

I would have to agree with you. I've been dieting for competing since January and my last show isn't until November before I take a break. I am doing shows back to back a month apart.
It seems like the longer I'm on the diet, the more my insulin cravings begin. A slight piece of dark chocolate here and a peppermint candy there and I am going through serious withdrawals.

I am a little scared when I do finally break that I will blow up just by eating everything that for the longest time I couldn't. It's gonna be a doooosy.

Melissa
07-10-2009, 06:58 AM

Same here, Suzanne. My calories offseason used to be very low as well and lots of cardio (45-60 minutes/day, 5-6 days per week). During this past year and a half of an offseason, my calories were up around 3000 as well and cardio was 3x/week at 45 minutes. Put on more muscle than ever. I only hope my prep goes as easy and smoothly as yours!

Suzanne
07-10-2009, 07:30 AM

Dieting meaning too low cals or dieting meaning being on a plan?

Being on a plan i see no probs at all with. My off season has much more variety, many more cals and cheats every week. And has room to go off for things that come up like my dad was in town so i ate off plan when we went out BUT i made sure to cut back my other meals that day. I don't see how this isn't healthy.

Prep there are no excuses not to follow program 100%

Pink!ron
07-18-2009, 03:06 PM
I used to carb cycle. for three or four days my carbs were low and on the fourth or fifth day i did high carbs (when i trained legs). i couldnt understand why i was gaining bodyfat! and it turned out that my higher carb days were wayyyy too high, my protein was wayyy too high on the lower carb days, and my carbs were so low on the lower carb days that i was depriving myself and went overboard on higher carb days! so like tammy said, a cheat meal really can set you back if you over do it, esp if its done 2 days a week. i stopped carb cycling, and tried to normalize my diet a bit, esp since its an offseason diet. i eat complex carbs bc physically and mentally my body responds well to them...one thing that really helped me was splitting up my carbs and fat. (meals are either protein + carbs, or protein + fat, but not both). but i prefer carb meals over fat meals. i even ended up increasing my overall carb intake, like suzanne said, and i finally started leaning out!

DCtraininggirl
07-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Well, I am no expert here, but I read all the threads and here is what I have gotten out of it:

1) Your total caloric intake is WAY too low for the amount of activity you are doing
2) Your healthy fat intake is also too low
3) Your veggies need to increase
4) Your carbs need to slightly decrease, or to a less effective GI index measurement

Also on a side note, I would evaluate how certain types of food make you feel. I.E., how do you feel after eating a lot of carbs? After a lot of protein? After a mix of the two?

I currently am over weight and trying to lose. I have studied nutrition for the last 10 years and am a walking talking calorie and macronutrient calculator for most common foods. My problem was that until recently, I didn't realize different foods' effect my metabolism, which is something to factor in with your weight, whether you are on or off season, and what your caloric intake should be. If I were you I would self evaluate and see document how different foods effect you. Oh and one more thing. I use something called "ColonCleanse." It is at WalMart, $10, white bottle with yellow label and flowers on the front. I take one daily, and not only does it help keep me regular, which I have no problems with anyway, but it also clean out any extra sludge in the colon from food the may be backed up or stuck on its walls (which happens alot especially when you cheat or eat a lot of junk), which helps to shrink any bloating or puffiness of the abdomen and eliminates water buildup in that area. Another great benefit is that it is entirely natural and herbal and wont interfere with any meds or hormones if you are taking any. Hope what I've said helps!