PDA

View Full Version : food for thought.....

rich_fox117
02-18-2009, 02:17 AM
a point was made in a forum on the "OTHER" ahem...site from Ron Harris about an interesting topic i would like to address

why is it that bodybuilding fans are almost NEVER just fans? it seems to me that when you look at most sports, take the NBA or the NFL for instance, guys will sit down with a beer, some chips, and lean back in a lazy boy to watch the game. now a bodybuilding fan however would be propped up, sipping on a protein shake, eating 8 ounces of chicken with some greens while watching the Arnold classic!

i have almost never seen a super bowl fan watch a game then turn around and go play a game of football and talk about how much they would love to be a QB for the stealer's or something along those lines...

but bodybuilding? at least for me, every single pose seems to resonate deep within me, almost as if i can feel being there myself, tensing every muscle, squeezing every striation in, and smiling all at the same time in front of a huge crowd.

seems that almost, if not all bodybuilding fans are bodybuilders themselves, they may not compete, and they may not be the next Ronnie Coleman, but they all lift weights, they all know in some small way what its like to be one of the pros

why is that? i mean am i wrong? do i only see bodybuilding because thats what i love the most? or is it true, and if it is, why? why does it feel like to me, that bodybuilding fans are so much more immersed in the world in which they live in, where as other pro sport fans are just happy sitting on the sidelines with a brewski in there hands?

food for thought...

Womanthrower
02-18-2009, 02:30 AM
a point was made in a forum on the "OTHER" ahem...site from Ron Harris about an interesting topic i would like to address

why is it that bodybuilding fans are almost NEVER just fans? it seems to me that when you look at most sports, take the NBA or the NFL for instance, guys will sit down with a beer, some chips, and lean back in a lazy boy to watch the game. now a bodybuilding fan however would be propped up, sipping on a protein shake, eating 8 ounces of chicken with some greens while watching the Arnold classic!

i have almost never seen a super bowl fan watch a game then turn around and go play a game of football and talk about how much they would love to be a QB for the stealer's or something along those lines...

but bodybuilding? at least for me, every single pose seems to resonate deep within me, almost as if i can feel being there myself, tensing every muscle, squeezing every striation in, and smiling all at the same time in front of a huge crowd.

seems that almost, if not all bodybuilding fans are bodybuilders themselves, they may not compete, and they may not be the next Ronnie Coleman, but they all lift weights, they all know in some small way what its like to be one of the pros

why is that? i mean am i wrong? do i only see bodybuilding because thats what i love the most? or is it true, and if it is, why? why does it feel like to me, that bodybuilding fans are so much more immersed in the world in which they live in, where as other pro sport fans are just happy sitting on the sidelines with a brewski in there hands?

food for thought...
Doesn't take much thought. It's a niche that most of us never cared about at all until we started working out. And that a lot of people that work out still couldn't care less about it.

.DP
02-18-2009, 03:02 AM
Because honestly bodybuilding is fucking boring to watch, it's the training that we like. Sometimes the posing routines are entertaining to watch, but I personally prefer the old school Ed Corney style vs the awkward pop-and-locking of Melvin Anthony or Queen Kamali.

When I watch Ronnie Coleman lift weights or hit a most muscular I don't cheer and high-five my buddies, I get fired up and get the urge to workout.

I guess what it boils down to is you like what you want to be. There's just far less of us that want to look perfect than want to catch a ball.

Razer
02-18-2009, 04:33 AM
Because honestly bodybuilding is fucking boring to watch, it's the training that we like. Sometimes the posing routines are entertaining to watch, but I personally prefer the old school Ed Corney style vs the awkward pop-and-locking of Melvin Anthony or Queen Kamali.

When I watch Ronnie Coleman lift weights or hit a most muscular I don't cheer and high-five my buddies, I get fired up and get the urge to workout.

I guess what it boils down to is you like what you want to be. There's just far less of us that want to look perfect than want to catch a ball.

I'm with .DP on this one. It's that common ground when you watch someone workout. Even thought I enjoy watching bodybuilders on stage hitting their poses and giving love back to the audience/crowds. If you try to celebrate in other sports you could get penalized, not in bbing the crowd should and some times goes wild. BBing is not for everyone but for those that workout and compete....God Bless you and Thank You for inspiring me!!!

BullGod
02-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Well...watching almost nakid. oiled up men with big muscles...isnt really much of a spectator sport...you either have to be a) gym rat striving to be huge yourself, b) a woman who loves to watch oiled up almost nakid men posing with huge muscles....or c) Steve Blechman

A-Maxx
02-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Well...watching almost nakid. oiled up men with big muscles...isnt really much of a spectator sport...you either have to be a) gym rat striving to be huge yourself, b) a woman who loves to watch oiled up almost nakid men posing with huge muscles....or c) Steve Blechman

:D

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh101/amaxx00/blch.jpg

rich_fox117
02-18-2009, 02:03 PM
:D

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh101/amaxx00/blch.jpg

LMAO

but seriously come on man i mean no homo but even the straight dudes who dont bodybuild gotta give some props to the incredible guys that stride across stage, whether they feel there freaks, queers in speedos, or ladies men, either way theres always a look of awe on someones face the first time they see a BBer

for the record maybe this isn't food for thought, i was surprised at the contrast of BBing fans to regular sports fans but maybe its not that interesting to all of you lol

Por2gue
02-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Agreed, and I totally see your point with this.

Theobeselifter
02-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Probably becasue bodybuilding is inspirational, and those that follow it or on a different level with the athletes. Look how we can just come on message boards and freely ask them questions, or watch them as they train for the next event. Body buildings just personal like that, you got to be more than a fan to enjoy it. Heck, look what happend when Dave and John got the Axe, we all went Bannana's and were'nt going to take NO for an answer. I almost felt like it was me they fired. The bodybuilding community just has that kind of close support. Your not just watching it, your apart of it.

JasonR
02-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Probably becasue bodybuilding is inspirational, and those that follow it or on a different level with the athletes. Look how we can just come on message boards and freely ask them questions, or watch them as they train for the next event. Body buildings just personal like that, you got to be more than a fan to enjoy it. Heck, look what happend when Dave and John got the Axe, we all went Bannana's and were'nt going to take NO for an answer. I almost felt like it was me they fired. The bodybuilding community just has that kind of close support. Your not just watching it, your apart of it.

Very true especially the last sentence. Great choice of words Bro!!

rich_fox117
02-18-2009, 05:56 PM

ooo yes i agree i like this to, that pretty much sums it up now doesn't it?

greuceanu
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Because honestly bodybuilding is fucking boring to watch, it's the training that we like. Sometimes the posing routines are entertaining to watch, but I personally prefer the old school Ed Corney style vs the awkward pop-and-locking of Melvin Anthony or Queen Kamali or Gay Kai.

x2.