PDA

View Full Version : The worst advice you've received..?

AVBG
07-07-2009, 10:27 PM
The worst advice I had received was to do the off season bulk. I got up to 270, it's def hard to get rid of all the fat come competition time.

nutratroy
07-07-2009, 10:53 PM
When I first started out, I hired a personal trainer. He told me to go to a Vitamin Shoppe and get a heavy weight gainer. The guy at the store sold me a HvyWt Gainer & he told me that those 1600Kcals serving's would turn my fat into muscles.

I'll never forget it. It was called Heavy weight Gainer 1600 by MLO? LOL man I was a fat tard at 178 pounds. This was before the internet like 1992??? Newbies got it so lucky nowdays

Ninja Loco
07-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Ok.... I cant make this up if I tried.

Cuban trainer at my gym whom we call "El Cubano" sees me and tells me Im doing great. So now since Im "there", all I need is nothing but fish every day and just the ten pound dumbbells.

His advice for a "cleanse"? Drink a whole glass of orange juice and then a whole glass of mikl right after.

I almost had to kick him out of the gym when I heard him trying to say that to some of the noobs.

Ninja Loco
07-08-2009, 12:36 AM
AV..... lookin solid, bro!!

G-Roy
07-08-2009, 01:17 PM
the weight gainer is def horrible advice and the old tale that fat turned to muscle, oh man. Off season shit bulk eating ice cream, cookies, pizza, and other crap daily because I "need the calories."

AVBG
07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Ok.... I cant make this up if I tried.

Cuban trainer at my gym whom we call "El Cubano" sees me and tells me Im doing great. So now since Im "there", all I need is nothing but fish every day and just the ten pound dumbbells.

His advice for a "cleanse"? Drink a whole glass of orange juice and then a whole glass of mikl right after.

I almost had to kick him out of the gym when I heard him trying to say that to some of the noobs.

I bet there's an "El Cubano" in every gym!

jsfitnessking
07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
cant think of specific time someone gave me bad adivce.
im a trainer so i think it is more of people asking me questions about something someone else had told them to try and they want to see if i agree. for instance one time in my gym a lady asked me about the PBJ sandwich diet. yea thats right. i couldnt stop laughing when she asked me that. basically my answer was its not a good idea

will-work4andro
07-08-2009, 08:07 PM
definitely getting "bulked" in the offseason...bulked is in quotes because at the end of the day, most naturals have no business being 250-260 in the offseason...especially when most of us compete under 200.

AVBG
07-08-2009, 11:14 PM
definitely getting "bulked" in the offseason...bulked is in quotes because at the end of the day, most naturals have no business being 250-260 in the offseason...especially when most of us compete under 200.

I couldn't have said it better.

AVBG
07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
What are some of the crazier training programs people have done?

I know of a guy who received advice to do a Bulgarian strength triple split programs - the end result was the guy weighing 15lbs lighter and screwed up CNS because of the gross overtraining.

mr intensity
07-09-2009, 10:53 AM
owner of my gym who pretends to know it all gave me a recipie of a home made mass gainer shake which was half liter milk, garlic paste, ten raw eggs, watermelon.. put it in a blender then heat it and gulp it...............

will-work4andro
07-09-2009, 12:21 PM
owner of my gym who pretends to know it all gave me a recipie of a home made mass gainer shake which was half liter milk, garlic paste, ten raw eggs, watermelon.. put it in a blender then heat it and gulp it...............

wow...i just died a little bit

Frosty
07-09-2009, 01:11 PM

I know of a guy who received advice to do a Bulgarian strength triple split programs - the end result was the guy weighing 15lbs lighter and screwed up CNS because of the gross overtraining.

Man if he would have taken 5 days off and ate a ton of good food he would probably have gained all the weight back and then some!

exit2010
07-09-2009, 01:18 PM
worst: hey you should post in the pit.

best: hey don't ever go in the pit. lol

MsGuns
07-09-2009, 01:19 PM
worst: hey you should post in the pit.

best: hey don't ever go in the pit. lol

I almost fell out my chair...
Thats the BEST advice ever...lol

sassy69
07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
"Just use some winstrol. It will lean you out."

"Colon cleanse will make you lose 10 lb in a week!"

"Take your shoes off before you go on the scale. It saves at least a pound!" (LOL)

cocobz
07-12-2009, 05:39 AM

lols nice one

Con
07-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Sounds good to me minus the garlic that is lol.

Worst advice was when i was about 18 and around 200lb i had one guy in his 40s say "you have a good build but once you start the gear your just going to blow up".

ultimate
07-21-2009, 12:41 PM
don't know why theres so much hate directed at bulking.
You need to eat safetly over your maintenance level of calories to ensure maximum muscle hypertrophy, unless you have your BMI tested by scientists then your gonna end up eating slightly to many calories and gaining fat, but that's alot better than getting half ass gains all year round.

And if you bulk correctly then you should only have to do 1 week of dieting for each month you spend on the diet, so if you bulk for a whole year then you only would need 12 weeks to get shredded.

Irish
07-21-2009, 01:04 PM

I dont remember the exact routine that I got, but when I started to lift weights it was a fully body workout that lasted about two hours and I did it 3 days a week. Doing this along with having no clue regarding general nutrition or the need for potein in my diet ensured that I lost a stone in weight which left me at a skin and bone 11 stone.

The funny thing is I just couldent understand how I wasnt getting any bigger or stronger despite all of the immense effort I was putting into the two hour gym sessions:D

harlan100
07-21-2009, 03:05 PM
"box squats are no good unless you wear a suit"
"dont train westside barbell unless your using juice"

the_gift
07-23-2009, 09:25 PM
as a former fatboy i never want to do a full on bulk again.. i just want to be able to take my shirt off all the time.. whats the point of working out all the time.. and not being able to look good at the beach??

slow.. clean bulking.. ie days of no carbs, low carbs, and high carbs.. where i can add muscle and stay in good condition!

lilfella
07-24-2009, 01:49 PM
"Now you can't stop working out or all your muscle will turn to fat". I guess we are all screwed!

DAVIDHARDY
07-24-2009, 02:08 PM
"Now you can't stop working out or all your muscle will turn to fat". I guess we are all screwed!

LOL, Usually followed by "Look at Arnold now"...This just in, Arnold is a fucking politician now so he doesn't have the time to just train and eat properly all the time

TheSpirit
07-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Natties can't train with volume or bodybuilders don't have to be strong.

JohnnyMuscles
07-28-2009, 12:09 AM
A personal trainer once told me that I should drink beer and eat pizza if I wanted to get jacked that that would help me put a lot of muscle on and I could worry about the fat later!!!!! :eek:

Amado Carrillo Fuentes
07-28-2009, 01:38 PM
at your age you shouldnt worry about gettin fat just get jacked up bro!

keto diet is not for bodybuilders

carbs should be higher than protein in your diets

keto diet is only for people juicing

use such product and gain 8lbs of lean muscle in a week

all of the previous bullshit was brought to you thanks to animal pak and universal

goddessamazon
07-30-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm with you AV. I was told by a personal trainer who said he was an expert in preparing bodybuilders for future competitions to go on a bulk. I gained damn near 45 lbs and it was torture trying to get that weight off. Those were the most miserable 17 weeks of my life. YES 17 WEEKS!

Two years later I know better and I'm doing better. Now that I'm aware of what to do with my body I never go beyond 10-12 lbs above my competition weight and my contest preps have been great ever since.

Bekim Rizvani
07-31-2009, 01:30 AM
I was told by a cardiologist that when I stop working out my muscle would turn into fat and that I would get diabetes

Leigh Carmichael
07-31-2009, 12:07 PM
I was told by a cardiologist that when I stop working out my muscle would turn into fat and that I would get diabetes

This is actually 100% true, you will get diabetes and die.

My grandfather told me, you better watch out fatty :D

Mr. Dead
08-25-2009, 07:39 PM
at your age you shouldnt worry about gettin fat just get jacked up bro!

keto diet is not for bodybuilders

carbs should be higher than protein in your diets

keto diet is only for people juicing

use such product and gain 8lbs of lean muscle in a week

all of the previous bullshit was brought to you thanks to animal pak and universal
Curious, as to where you got that info...

musclemilf
08-25-2009, 09:39 PM
If you lift "too heavy" you'll start to look like a man LOL!!!

Rick Prince
08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
At 23, I had been training for 2 years with the goal of competing. A national level bodybuilder holding a seminar at our gym told me my skin was too thick, I did not have the genetics, and was wasting my time trying to be a bodybuilder.

I thought he was an expert, stopped training, and started running 10ks and marathons. He probably was correct in that I did not have the genetics to become a pro, but that did not mean I could not have been competitive at the local and state level.

I will be 50 in October, and I am having the time of my life in my first year competing. I've done 3 shows and will compete this weekend in the Alabama State.

Steve56
09-03-2009, 12:45 PM
The worst advice I had received was to do the off season bulk. I got up to 270, it's def hard to get rid of all the fat come competition time.

looking good bro...what weight did you get down to?? and how long did it take??

zubbeyboy
09-03-2009, 12:49 PM
When i was just starting out this dude was tellin me to eat once a day. Saw this dude again last week and he was telling me he still only eats once a day. His body hasn't changed one bit as well since 20 years ago. Healthy lookin fella and sure some people don't wanna be huge but i know he would love to put on 20 lbs of muscle.He is too stuck in his ways.

juggernaut
09-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Jay Robb, " Go sunbathe in the nude, with your nut-sack exposed. The tanning and sunlight will increase testosterone production."

The guy is a mental-case. He's also one of the juice cleanse will help you lose weight morons.

Jake DeMichele
09-15-2009, 07:45 AM
"Don't squat, it will give you a distended stomach."

NTT91
09-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Eat a ton of carbs with low-moderate protein and extremely low fat while trying to gain muscle.

juggernaut
09-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Eat a ton of carbs with low-moderate protein and extremely low fat while trying to gain muscle.very popular in the 80s.

Diabetic Muscle
09-16-2009, 01:07 AM
"Don't squat, it will give you a distended stomach."

I was actually told tonight by a gentleman in his 40's that if I didn't stop squating I would break my ribs.

Aaron Singerman
09-16-2009, 01:22 AM
During a seminar in the 90s I heard Nasser give this piece of advice:

"To get really big you must eat bananas... I personally eat almost 10lbs of bananas per day in the offseason."

I've also heard Nasser tell people that he kept his protein intake under 80g per day during his offseason... Nice guy, huh?

NATURAL-1987
09-16-2009, 04:49 AM
I cant pick one thing....I got so much bad advice before I switched gyms it was rediculous. But I actually still responded pretty well so I would pass the bad advice on to other people because they thought what ever I was doing was right.haha.

almard
09-16-2009, 05:00 AM
eat big to get big....

InHonorInMind
09-16-2009, 11:09 AM
If you lift "too heavy" you'll start to look like a man LOL!!!

UGgghh so true....I hate hearing this shiot....when people (girls) tell me 'wow you look great....what do you do?'...and then I proceed to tell them.....they interrupt me and go OH I DON'T WANT TO LIFT, I WILL GET BIG! ****HUGE PALM TO FACE****........uuuggghhh!!!

Really!? You'll get big!? Just like that!? Well shit, you better tell ME what to do then bc clearly I'm doin it wrong!

NATURAL-1987
09-16-2009, 11:44 AM
UGgghh so true....I hate hearing this shiot....when people (girls) tell me 'wow you look great....what do you do?'...and then I proceed to tell them.....they interrupt me and go OH I DON'T WANT TO LIFT, I WILL GET BIG! ****HUGE PALM TO FACE****........uuuggghhh!!!

Really!? You'll get big!? Just like that!? Well shit, you better tell ME what to do then bc clearly I'm doin it wrong!
:yep: TRUE THAT!!!!

figurebre
09-16-2009, 12:26 PM
During a seminar in the 90s I heard Nasser give this piece of advice:

"To get really big you must eat bananas... I personally eat almost 10lbs of bananas per day in the offseason."

I've also heard Nasser tell people that he kept his protein intake under 80g per day during his offseason... Nice guy, huh?

some people, surprisingly, thrive on lower protein diets.

PJ BRAUN
09-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Most people DO NOT thrive on lower protein diets in this industry!

Aaron Singerman
09-16-2009, 02:17 PM

He was lying... because he's an asshole. :yep:

Aaron Singerman
09-16-2009, 02:18 PM

I'll bet half of those guys at the seminar went right out and bought a huge quantity of bananas!

juggernaut
09-17-2009, 05:52 PM
scuse me...ten pounds of bananas? Datsa awful lot of banana shitting. Poor Nassir mustve clogged the bowl.

juggernaut
09-17-2009, 05:52 PM
eat big to get big....I'm still hearing that in M&F and MD.

Rwdecker
09-18-2009, 01:50 PM
"you're just not doing enough chest... try doing chest 4 times a week.. maybe the 2 or 3 times you work chest isnt helping you grow"

"but my shoulders hurt and i feel sore all the time"

"thats because your body doesnt know how to heel fast enough, are you eating enough cheese?"

just a convo i overheard between a couple of dumb asses, i wish i recorded it

InHonorInMind
09-18-2009, 02:20 PM
"you're just not doing enough chest... try doing chest 4 times a week.. maybe the 2 or 3 times you work chest isnt helping you grow"

"but my shoulders hurt and i feel sore all the time"

"thats because your body doesnt know how to heel fast enough, are you eating enough cheese?"

just a convo i overheard between a couple of dumb asses, i wish i recorded it

ARE YOU EATING ENOUGH CHEESE?!?! HAHAHA.....wow...wtf....LOL

Mr_Matt.
09-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Found it funny both the people who said these were massively overweight:

1) "Dont get to big because wen u stop ur muscle will just turn into to fat"

2) "You shouldnt b drinking protien shakes there not natural"

DAVIDHARDY
09-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Found it funny both the people who said these were massively overweight:

1) "Dont get to big because wen u stop ur muscle will just turn into to fat"

2) "You shouldnt b drinking protien shakes there not natural"

That's my favorite. I usually follow it up with "So I'm right on par to looking like you then?"

figurebre
09-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Most people DO NOT thrive on lower protein diets in this industry!
Yeah. Most. But everyone's body is different. have a banana :p

InHonorInMind
09-22-2009, 12:52 PM
That's my favorite. I usually follow it up with "So I'm right on par to looking like you then?"

HAHA, I literally just laugh at loud at this one....hehheheeh! :yep:

TLF BABY
09-22-2009, 01:55 PM
i had a weight training coach in high school who told our class the first day the best way to get bigger was to do full body workouts three days a week and to bench deadlift and squat everytime.... needless to say i walked out and dropped the class as soon as he finished that bullshit speech

DAVIDHARDY
09-22-2009, 02:17 PM
i had a weight training coach in high school who told our class the first day the best way to get bigger was to do full body workouts three days a week and to bench deadlift and squat everytime.... needless to say i walked out and dropped the class as soon as he finished that bullshit speech

That is a great way...to fuck your back up!

juggernaut
09-22-2009, 11:03 PM
i had a weight training coach in high school who told our class the first day the best way to get bigger was to do full body workouts three days a week and to bench deadlift and squat everytime.... needless to say i walked out and dropped the class as soon as he finished that bullshit speechThis advice isnt really bad-Randall Strossen had a Super Squats routine based on these ideals. It didnt go three times a week, twice, tops. I gained a shitload of weight off it too.

jaykay
09-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Let's see:

"Don't squat below parallel, you will ruin your knees."
"If you eat a lot protein in 1 seating and you don't immediately lift right after, it will all go to fat." This was told to me as I was eating like 5-6 Oz of grilled chicken by itself. I was at work and we were on break and we were allowed to take some food to eat over break. The guy who told me this was 185lbs and at least like 25-30%BF. He also smoked cigarettes, pot and drank every weekend. GO FIGURE...
"Eat what you want and you will easily put on of muscle mass." Yeah, right...
"If you eat a lot of fat you will get fat. Eat very little fat and approximately 2g/lb of carbs in order to put on muscle and stay lean."

juiceinator3000
09-26-2009, 11:54 AM
overheard in the locker room:
hey don't weigh yourself after you lift weights you just built muscle you're going to weigh at least 5 pounds more