PDA

View Full Version : carb cycling while trying to get stronger

jj125
07-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Hey guys, currently on Dave's keto diet and I'm losing weight and fat etc, but losing strength also. It sucks not lifting as heavy, so I was thinking of trying carb cycling to continue to increase strength while still leaning out. Anyone have any experience with this as a powerlifter/strongman? Undecided on this. Thanks.

tjoe
07-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I asked Dave this exact question!
He recommended that I keep everything EXACTLY the same... but add 50g of waxi to the pre-workout shake. Should be enough carbs for training and then they should be burned off leaving you back in ketosis. Try that out!

BrotherIron
07-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes, I do carb cycling while training. You can look at my workout routine and see how I conicide it with my diet. I have a HIGH day on Mon/Wed/Fri and have LOW days onTu/Th/Sat/Sun. The only training day which is a low day is Sat and it's not a difficult training day. I keep my protein constant throughout and fats are moderate but get adjusted depending on the carb intake.

This method has allowed me to maintain my bodyweight while making continual progress.

jj125
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
tjoe, I asked Dave about the waxi pre workout and what advice he has for powerlifters with his diet and he said trying to lose weight and powerlift don't go well together. Tjoe how was your results with the waxi pre workout? Did you continue to drop fat and lean out while increasing your strength?

robert da strongman
07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I asked Dave this exact question!
He recommended that I keep everything EXACTLY the same... but add 50g of waxi to the pre-workout shake. Should be enough carbs for training and then they should be burned off leaving you back in ketosis. Try that out!

it worked for me too. dropped 20 lbs and my strength was going up. dont know if it is Dave approved but i did keep my fats high.

David
07-08-2009, 03:39 PM
How long have you been dieting? And what are your macros (proteins, carbs, fats)?
It is easier to help if you post some basic stats.

I've been powerlifting on a ketogenic diet since May 10 and my strength has gone up from all the healthy fats that I wasn't bothering to eat beforehand, so unless you're a special case you should probably stick with keto and make adjustments from there.

jj125
07-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm

jj125
07-08-2009, 06:48 PM
David I'm currently using Dave's diet exactly as its posted on the board. I'm weighing all my food measuring my food etc. I was thinking of maybe waiting until I get to the weight I want to weigh and start carb cycling or adding the waxi at that point.

jj125
07-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Sorry about the mistake. Curious I have some carbolyze and one scoop equals 39 grams carbs. Could I just estimate 50 grams with a heaping scoop? Pre workout I do 54 grams whey and a tbs mac oil. Will the mac oil maybe slow the waxie down for more sustained energy? Thanks.

tjoe
07-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Sorry about the mistake. Curious I have some carbolyze and one scoop equals 39 grams carbs. Could I just estimate 50 grams with a heaping scoop? Pre workout I do 54 grams whey and a tbs mac oil. Will the mac oil maybe slow the waxie down for more sustained energy? Thanks.I would estimate it with a heaping scoop. If you were trying to get on stage that would be different.
Yes the Mac oil will slow it down... Dave told me NO fats in the pre training shake. You want the "quick" energy AND you want the carbs gone after training so your body returns to ketosis faster.
side note - I love Mac oil in my shakes! Still use it now and I'm not dieting at all.

thepump
07-08-2009, 08:29 PM
it worked for me too. dropped 20 lbs and my strength was going up. dont know if it is Dave approved but i did keep my fats high.

Yeah, my buddy is on the same diet and asked the same question. Worked well for him too.:beerbang:

jj125
07-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Tjoe should I train right away after drinking the shake since its fast acting? How long does waxi give you energy 1/2 hour, 1 hour before losing its effect?

David
07-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Unless I missed it you didn't state your goal. You can either

1. Lose fat sooner than later and take a hit on strength, or
2. Lose fat later than sooner and maintain or increase strength.

Since this is the PL/SM forum I assume you primarily want to maintain strength. To do that make sure you eat every 2.5 - 3 hours. That may mean more than 6 meals if youre awake for a long time. Also make sure to have a good pre workout meal, you may want to increase the fats for that meal, or just substitute them for some WMS.
Personally I prefer to increase the fats, when I use the WMS I can feel the energy dropoff in the middle of the workout.

Try it out though, everyone's different.

jj125
07-09-2009, 04:52 PM
David, my goals are to lose fat sooner which is taking a hit on strength, but what I'm planning to do is get to the weight goal I have set and then start to either try carb cycling or the waxie pre workout to start increasing my strength at a lower bodyweight. Always interested to hear other opinions. Thanks for the help and responses guys.