PDA

View Full Version : First time tire flipping

toddbz
07-08-2009, 04:35 PM
My first time flipping a tire

Qed6YlwyvI0

trip back. I was the first to go so we didn't know it there was going to be a trip back HEHE

ZZLnmJoGaUU

this coming Sunday I'll work with a far larger tire.

toddbz
07-08-2009, 04:36 PM
K sorry it posted the vids twice. Don't now exactly why that happened

Suzy Brown
07-08-2009, 04:38 PM
That tire is for little girls!!!! Get a man-sized tire and then we'll talk.

robert da strongman
07-08-2009, 04:39 PM
tell me if that worked. i cant see youtube vids at work.

robert da strongman
07-08-2009, 04:40 PM

i got something man sized for you...:D

Suzy Brown
07-08-2009, 04:43 PM
tell me if that worked. i cant see youtube vids at work. Its corrected.

i got something man sized for you...:D The proof is in the pudding!!!

robert da strongman
07-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Its corrected.

The proof is in the pudding!!!

thanks!

you want pudding?
i gots pudding...

sorry todd...
what was the weight of the tire?

toddbz
07-08-2009, 04:51 PM

Ha! Well truth be told when we went back inside there's the middle aged gal that does strongwoman stuff, and she comes up to us and says "hey that's the tire I was working with yesterday" Man my ego to zero HEHE

But yes thank you. A 'larger' tire will be used next time. Don't know how it compares to that friggin beast Joe uses, but it's damn sure bigger than this one.
And first time...you can't just grab the biggest thing you see

i got something man sized for you...:D

The proof is in the pudding!!!

Clever play on words? ;)

Suzy Brown
07-08-2009, 04:58 PM
And first time...you can't just grab the biggest thing you see
I did. Of couse I couldn't budge it and ruined my mani but I did indeed grab the biggest thing I saw (& no, Rob was no where around.)

toddbz
07-08-2009, 05:05 PM
I did. Of couse I couldn't budge it and ruined my mani but I did indeed grab the biggest thing I saw (& no, Rob was no where around.)

Ahhh. Couldn't budge the biggest thing you could find...whilst looking for 'pudding'? Ummm hmmm

tjoe
07-08-2009, 05:14 PM
technique will come in to play much more with the larger tire.
You will have to get lower, prop your chest against the top of it and try to drive "through it". you'll see what I mean next week. is there someone there with experience on the tire that can help you out while training?

robert da strongman
07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
You will have to get lower, prop your chest against the top of it and try to drive "through it". you'll see what I mean next week. is there someone there with experience on the tire that can help you out while training?

the leg kick helps with the transition and push over.

toddbz
07-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Yeah I've watched you do it several times and see what you mean. You can't just pick it up and think that's going to get you anywhere. It wasn't really that heavy to need to really lay into it. So I'm sure with this next one my form will need to be better.
We do have a handful of really good SM guys (and a few gals). Have to see if they're there on Sunday to help out. I now they really helped these young guys with their stone technique.

Suzy Brown
07-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Ahhh. Couldn't budge the biggest thing you could find...whilst looking for 'pudding'? Ummm hmmm

biggest TIRE ok?!

BrotherIron
07-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I use a tire a lil bigger than that for my cardio. Like Tjoe said there is a world of difference betw flipping a lil one and a real one.

Def have someone show you the proper technique.

toddbz
07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
So choose what looked like the biggest tire my gym has yesterday.
Had 585 written on in in grease pen. So I suppose that's how much it weighed.
I have no idea how to gauge weight on thse things compared to say deadlift (which my max is 450). So just gave it a test inside and yep it was hard but not impossible, and I could definitely do it multiple times.

So did 10 sets of
4 flips (4 sets)
3 flips (6 sets)

Then did 9 sets of 6 with the smaller one (my buddies were using it) for speed, and last one was 10 flips for speed.

when I moved to the smaller one after that big S.O.B. I almost went over the top since it weighed so much less and I was used to really pushing 'through' the tire as Joe and you other guys said. Yeah so my feet were completely off the ground for a eye blink on that one. ;)
Had fun though and I can see where technique on the heavier stuff comes way more into play.
Firgured this was a good place to start and plenty of room to move up (since the parking lot is like 1/4 mile long) HEHE.
Git some vid of it and once it gets edited I'll post it and please critic so I can improve...that is unless I'm perfect then you can say that to ;P

robert da strongman
07-13-2009, 04:58 PM
waiting for the video

Dan Rek
07-13-2009, 05:20 PM
tires are fun, the only thing I have any experience with as far as strongman, thanks to football, last summer when I did it I think we had a 450 - 500 pound tire, and we had to flip it and then tie a rope to it and drag it, dont recall number of flips or distance, but it was a BITCH, and I loved it

toddbz
07-13-2009, 05:58 PM
waiting for the video

Yeah me to. A buddies camera and he's the edit guru. So I haven't even seen it yet lol

tires are fun, the only thing I have any experience with as far as strongman, thanks to football, last summer when I did it I think we had a 450 - 500 pound tire, and we had to flip it and then tie a rope to it and drag it, dont recall number of flips or distance, but it was a BITCH, and I loved it

Yeah I'm having a lot of fun with them for sure. Really this is the only type of strongman stuff I've done so far. BUT everytime I pass by the stones
I swear those things talk shit to me ;P

I can't imagine draggin this damn thing anywhere! Hell it's hard enough to just roll back inside let alone flip the bloody thing!

tjoe
07-13-2009, 09:11 PM
haha... Yeah the stones do tend to talk shit from time to time!
can't wait to se the vid bro!

toddbz
07-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry for the delay and gaps in action on this one. Fast forward to about 1:30 for the good stuff to start. Tough to tell from the angle of form, but any suggestions please feel free.
I actually did one more set but the camera cut it off.
This tire was 585lb

E9QNxIDP1dY

tjoe
07-15-2009, 03:12 PM
not bad.
I would say just try to drive "into" the tire a bit more rather than trying to pick it "up". It's just a time and practice thing. Check out this Poundstone clip. ESPECIALLY 1 minute in. You'll even hear the other guys telling him to get his feet back more more and "push through, not up". The rep at the 1 minute mark is perfect for what I am recommending. Perfect angle, he's starting to get tired which means he can't just "toss it" and form becomes that much more important. Check it out:

38BlgYNXDK8&feature=channel_page

toddbz
07-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah I see that now. Kind ofthought that'swhat I was doing, but not even close lol
Got to get that 'deadlift' mentality out of my head and think more of a football sled drill. It's up and forward, but gets driven over by the fact that you're pushing through it.
I may practice a few with a slightly lighter tire since this one was pretty damn heavy for me. At least for using caveman technique.
Kinf of wish we had a heavier one now, but I have connections there.

tjoe
07-15-2009, 04:20 PM
I would stick with the 585... it looked like a good weight for you for now. Don't worry so much about reps/distance, just try to perfect that technique on each flip.

Frosty
07-15-2009, 04:48 PM
When I trained for strongman I had a buddy in the sticks with a 600 lb tire that was probably 5 feet tall. That was a bitch to flip, especially once we flipped it down his driveway and then had to flip it back UP his driveway lol. Brutal though...but I still think the keg load kills me more than the tire flip.

toddbz
07-15-2009, 05:32 PM
I would stick with the 585... it looked like a good weight for you for now. Don't worry so much about reps/distance, just try to perfect that technique on each flip.

Ahhh. Yeah will do. Guess I'm focusing a bit to much on moving it an actual distance rather than having good technique on even the first one lol

When I trained for strongman I had a buddy in the sticks with a 600 lb tire that was probably 5 feet tall. That was a bitch to flip, especially once we flipped it down his driveway and then had to flip it back UP his driveway lol. Brutal though...but I still think the keg load kills me more than the tire flip.

Yeah this tire is probably that tall to. I'm 5'11 and I just look over the top of the thing.
We just happen to have kegs at my gym and some will be carried Sunday. A few are fully loaded with sand and only thing I can do with those is roll or sit on em ;)
Cool thing is all this stuff we have has the weight written on it so no guessing is required.

Sistersteel
07-15-2009, 06:29 PM
the leg kick helps with the transition and push over.

I find the leg kick impossible to implement with the bigger tires. I just flipped an 800+lber last week and had to work the other leg in nice and slow an inch at a time. Damn tire was taller than I was. I was under that bad boy for about 2 minutes. LOL

toddbz
07-15-2009, 06:46 PM
I find the leg kick impossible to implement with the bigger tires. I just flipped an 800+lber last week and had to work the other leg in nice and slow an inch at a time. Damn tire was taller than I was. I was under that bad boy for about 2 minutes. LOL

Sorry I kind of got fixated on that last sentence ;P

You know I didn't think of the leg kick. It just kind of came natural. But yeah I could see where if you were at absolute max, you'd claw for every inch.
I've broken my wrists before so there's no way in hell I could get it over if I wasn't able to use the leg kick. My hands don't rotate for jack under a load

robert da strongman
07-15-2009, 08:56 PM

it is tough but once you develop the speed...its on!
practice!!

of course some people do better with a football tackle type push

toddbz
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
it is tough but once you develop the speed...its on!
practice!!

of course some people do better with a football tackle type push

Just found out that Saturday mornings at my gym that a bunch of strongmen/women train (along with some Oly folks). So I'll be getting some good instruction.
Super stoked about that.

toddbz
07-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Did the 585 tire on Sunday and it was way easier putting my feet further back. So I did that 4-5 times then attempted the 800 for shits and giggles. Yeah got it about a an inch off the ground lol
It doesn't have the nice square lugs that the lightter one has and the side carcass is very sloped. Something to work for

tjoe
07-20-2009, 03:41 PM
yeah, tread pattern varies greatly from tire to tire. At one event I went to (didn't compete) the guys were struggling with the 700 but getting the 900 easy... just because of the tread.

robert da strongman
07-20-2009, 03:50 PM
dont forget the height. had one that was tall enough to push over form the top.

toddbz
07-20-2009, 04:03 PM
yeah, tread pattern varies greatly from tire to tire. At one event I went to (didn't compete) the guys were struggling with the 700 but getting the 900 easy... just because of the tread.

Yeah after that we did a bit of a medlay with a pair of 500's 2 totally different tires (did an out anf back kind of set up). One was just cake. The other just about removed all th skin from my palms because it was so rounded on the sides.
Then we did 48kg kettlebell swings followed by 16kg kettlebell snatches. Repeat 5 times. Lunch was about throat level after that one

dont forget the height. had one that was tall enough to push over form the top.

ha! yeah leaning against the wall the 800 looked 'similar' to the 585. I got that thing on it's side and it came a bit under critch level. So I tried it twice moved it just off the floor n put it away (with 2 other peoples help lol)
Hey but then I pulled a PR with hook grip snatch grip deads 395. So not a bad day at all.
I'll probably take next weekend off from tires and do some other event type stuff. I want to do some farmers walk and kegs.
And yes the stones were talking a ton of trash! ;)

robert da strongman
07-20-2009, 04:20 PM
them stones are bitches...they talked to me all day saturday.

toddbz
07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
them stones are bitches...they talked to me all day saturday.

No kidding huh!?
I swear I hear em whisper "pussy' at me more than once

robert da strongman
07-21-2009, 04:06 PM
No kidding huh!?
I swear I hear em whisper "pussy' at me more than once

better show them who is boss.
own them before they own you.

toddbz
07-21-2009, 04:37 PM
better show them who is boss.
own them before they own you.

I'm gonna sneak attack em this saturday!