PDA

View Full Version : Routine advice!!

CitizenKane
07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi,
this is my first post so first of all I'd like to say hello to everyone!

I've been training for only about 6 months, but I'm really happy with my progress in that time. I'm currently bulking, and for the last 4 months or so I was doing a 4 day split routine where I did Chest on day 1, Back day 2, Arms/Shoulders day 3 and Legs day 4. I decided to change this however as I felt I wasn't getting enough recovery time, particularly for my biceps as I had my Back day and my Arms day right beside each other which, in hindsight, was pretty foolish.

Anyway, I've now moved to a 3 day P/P/L routine which looks like the following:

Day 1 (Push):
Flat Bench Press 3x8
Decline DB Press 3x10

Incline DB Press 3x10
Flys 3x(10-14)
Tricep Pulldowns 3x(10-14)

Day 2 (Pull):
Deadlift 3x10
BB Bent-Over Rows 3x8
Cable Pulldowns 3x10
Ez Curls 3x10
Preacher Curls 3x10
DB Hammer Curls 3x(10-14)
DB Shrugs 3x14

Day 3 (Legs + Shoulders):
Squats 3x(10-14)
Seated DB Shoulder Press 3x8
Calf Raise 3x14
Leg Press 3x10
Leg Curls 3x14

With a day off after Day 2, and again after Day 3.

Does anybody have any critique or comments about this routine or does it look ok??

Cheers! :beerbang:

Foreskin
07-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi citezen, looks pretty solid except for the shoulders on leg day, move them to chest day seeing as your only doig 3 sets any how, and lose one of the press movements for chest alternate flat and decline every other workout.
i'd suggest something like this

day 1
chest, shoulders tri's

incline press
flat or decline press (alternate)
fly's
shoulder press
side laterals
triceps pushdowns or skullcrushers

how's that sound?

CitizenKane
07-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey thanks for the response. The reason I threw Shoulders in with Legs day is because I honestly didn't fancy doing another big heavy push compound such as Shoulder press on the same day as Benching. And also I have a bit of a dodgy rotator cuff so I wanted to limit the volume for my shoulders as well. But I will try those changes that you suggested and see how I get on.

Cheers!

Foreskin
07-16-2009, 12:49 AM
yeah, can't blame you for that if you're fighting off an injury, to be honest i'm not sure the shoulder presses are even nescessary on a chest/shoulders/tri's day if you're doing inclines anyways, maybe just the laterals and/or some upright rows?