PDA

View Full Version : Training Hard at Any Age!

john koenig
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm a 54-year-old still holding my own with 25 year-olds in the gym (on a good day!). My primary goals today are to continue to stay healthy, work as hard as possible in the gym, and live to fight again tomorrow. Frankly, I experience few age-related issues working out. What I deal with is a long-ago ruptured left rotator cuff (my competitive powerlifting days), and a greater need for recovery.

Currently I train with weights five days per week. Very little cardio in the winter (I cycle outside in the summer, but as I live in Wisconsin, no riding outdoors for many months per year). My weight is controlled through diet (modified Palumbo eating for many years). Currently at 200 pounds between 10-12% bodyfat. Plan on being 8% b.f. by spring.

Coming back from cutting weight five years ago from 235 to 180 to be a competitive cyclist, then major big toe surgery last November which laid me up for two months out of the gym. Still cannot deadlift or squat or lunge, but hope to be cleared to do so in two weeks. But at least now I'm walking pain-free!

Started leg workouts a month ago, up to 9 plates per side on the leg press, 140# dumbells for rows, 115# dumbells for incline bench, feeling pretty good most days. Haven't been able to bench with a bar for years since rotator cuff issues, and never will again.

I'll be at Metro Gym in Columbus working out Thursday night prior to the Arnold Classic. Who else is going to be there?

esplendido
02-18-2009, 12:00 PM
John,

I'll be in Columbus Thursday, but not until late afternoon.

It's good to hear from another 50+ lifter still in the game and doing well (other than surgery and RC issue). Your lifts are strong, too. Do you get the looks from the young set when they see you using weight they use or wish they could use? I love telling them, when they ask about my training, that I'm 51 and doing it!!!!

john koenig
02-18-2009, 07:16 PM
I sure do get those looks... especially from the young guys who are endlessly curling and rolling their sleeves, or wearing tank-tops. My arms aren't huge, but they're cut and vascular, and as I wear t-shirts with sleeves, they almost look bigger than they are. But it's my work ethic and strength in some areas that gets to them; I don't yell, nor grunt out loud too often, I just work hard. And train properly, feeling the muscle, not feeding my ego.

Perhaps it's my shaved head and glare!

More people ask me about nutrition and supplements, as I'm so cut and lean all the time.

APOSTLE
02-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Pretty inspirational John, much respect to you.

FLEXR6
02-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Good weights there, esp. the incline dumbell press. Good bodyfat too.
A credit to you.

tat2mike
02-22-2009, 07:58 AM
I am very impressed. I'm 42 ,I have only been training for a little over 3.5 years. i would like to hear about the RC issue.I hurt my shoulder during the summer (bench pressing)and it seems to be getting worst.Thinking about seeing a doctor, but I just had a hernia operation last Oct. ,and hate surgery and not being able train.

john koenig
02-22-2009, 10:07 PM
My left rotator cuff deteriorated over the better part of a couple of years. I basically ignored it, warmed up in pain, lifted and competed in pain, used lots of ice and very little pain meds. When a cup of coffee became difficult to hold, I knew I was in trouble.

Shortly before that we'd published an interview on Testosterone magazine with the developer of Active Release Therapy, at the time little known (Dr. Michael Leahy, 888.396.2727, www.activereleasetechnique.com). He talked about saving athlete's competetive careers because no surgery was involved. I called, found out there were only three chiropractors in my state licensed by him at the time, one was nearby, and I was in her office the next day!

She changed my life in that initial, painful 90-minute session, and over the course of probably 30 more sessions, completely fixed my shoulder. Since then my bench pressing has all been with dumbells rather than the bar, a safety measure my chiropractor recommended, but who cares about that? I certainly don't. If I ever get the bug to go back to competitive powerlifting I'll see if it's possible, but for the last six or seven years, no problems with any move in the gym as long as I let my shoulders rotate freely (I don't use the Smith machine, obviously, for anything other than calves and sometimes shrugs).

I cannot recommend Active Release enough, but it's important to make certain you find someone taught by Dr. Leahy.

thepump
03-19-2009, 05:28 PM
live hard die good looking is the saying

sun311rmt
04-16-2009, 09:22 PM
you're very professional ! (http://yahoo-rmt.jp/)

Rocco1943
04-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the RC info, I have been told I have a torn RC but as yet not had an MRI. I tried to baby it and it helped a little, but not for long. I am going to check out the web site for more info. The last thing I want is to be cut on.

Dom
04-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the RC info, I have been told I have a torn RC but as yet not had an MRI. I tried to baby it and it helped a little, but not for long. I am going to check out the web site for more info. The last thing I want is to be cut on.

I can fix it!!!:D