PDA

View Full Version : Carbs

jbruno7272
07-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I am a firm believer in a low carb diet as I suffered from IBS for years and only when I ate way less carbs did I get cured of it. Thanks Dave! Anyway, I only eat oats once a day, sweet potato once a day and brown rice once a day. I also eat greens whenever I feel like it. I also have two cheat meals a weeks where I eat whatever I want. My problem is that I am eating about 300-400 grams of protein a day and I am just not gaining weight even on cycle. I do get stronger but not incredible strength gains. I'm trying to put on about 20 lbs of muscle but I'm thinking my carb intake might be too low. Any thoughts?

JonnyO
07-10-2009, 06:05 PM
20lbs of muscle??? Well you could try increasing your fats, then carbs, but I think the biggest thing would be patience in this case. Also I think that a low carb diet isnt the best way to try to add mass at the fastest rate possible, it would be a long steady process.

ArabMuscle
07-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Proteins and fats are the true muscle builders; carbs fuel the process.
As always, patience is key.

jbruno7272
07-10-2009, 06:56 PM
20lbs of muscle??? Well you could try increasing your fats, then carbs, but I think the biggest thing would be patience in this case. Also I think that a low carb diet isnt the best way to try to add mass at the fastest rate possible, it would be a long steady process.
I am 6 1" and 215. I'd like to do it within the next two years. I've been training for 1 year and have gained 35 lbs during that time and lost bodyfat. I was at about 19% and now about 15%.

jbruno7272
07-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Proteins and fats are the true muscle builders; carbs fuel the process.
As always, patience is key.
Yes, this is what I believe but I want to makesure I am eating enough carbs. Dave says to grow muscle you need carbs. I'm just wondering if I should eat more of them.

GottaGetLean
07-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Yes, this is what I believe but I want to makesure I am eating enough carbs. Dave says to grow muscle you need carbs. I'm just wondering if I should eat more of them.

try his mass diet.

Frosty
07-11-2009, 12:54 AM
If you wanna do it low carb you might have to do 2-2.25g/lb bwt of protein and 50-60% fat.

Make sure your stomach acid levels are good. You can test with betaine HCl to see how you are. Let me know if you want more info. If your stomach acid is poor, you're not going to digest all that protein you eat, and of course if you don't digest your protein it won't help you grow!!! Super important.

For carbs you can do PWO carbs and once every 5-7 days depending you can have your carb meals. I highly recommend staying to carbs that are friendly to your IBS, like white rice would be a great thing to eat a lot of on those days. Depending on how you progress you might do 2 meals up to a whole day with the rice.

Leucine or BCAAs are one trick to gain on low carb. 5g of leucine per meal for 3-4 meals a day (every other meal) is good. Also 4:1:1 ratio BCAAs at 0.22-0.44g/kg bwt (0.22g/kg being minimum) taken before/during training can really help. PWO carbs highly depend on your training. If you're doing 5x6 for example there's not much need for any carbs, but if you're doing 10x10 you need some carbs to fuel the workouts. If so use this equation for the amount of carbs:

Z=(0.5307+0.00165*x)*y

where,
z is carbs needed,
x is reps performed
y is lean body mass in kg

jbruno7272
07-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Thanks Frosty. I want to investigate what you had to say and will get back to you with questions if necessary. My stomach has been perfect and I don't want to go back to where I was.