PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Lawler for mayor?

~gymdiva~
07-07-2009, 12:17 PM
from WZ:

MyFOX out of Memphis, Tennesse, is reporting that Jerry "The King" Lawler has announced that he considering a run for the office of the Mayor in the city of Memphis. Although nothing has been confirmed, and an official announcement should come by the end of the week, Lawler informed MyFOX that he has added his name to the list of Mayoral candidates. This will be the second time Lawler has run for Mayor in the city of Memphis, having run and lost back in 1999 to now retiring Mayor Willie Herenton.

~gymdiva~
07-07-2009, 02:58 PM
follow up to the previous post:

We reported yesterday that WWE's Jerry "The King" Lawler has announced that he may be placing his name in the running for the office of the Mayor of Memphis. In a recent interview with The UK Sun, Lawler had the following to say concerning his possible running for office:

"I am going to do some media interviews and see what level of support is out there before I officially declare.

"The people of Memphis are so tired of the political circus that we have been living in for the past 18 years and hopefully, are tired of politicians in general.

"I would be an alternative to that since I am not a politician and never want to be one.

"Just someone who could bring some common sense to the office of Mayor and hopefully make my hometown of Memphis a city that people want to come to, instead of move away from.

"I will be making an announcement by the end of this week."

~gymdiva~
07-09-2009, 01:02 PM
and one more followup!

CommercialAppeal.com is reporting that Jerry "The King" Lawler has decided to officially run for Mayor in the city of Memphis. Lawler made the announcement himself during a radio appearance on WGKS-FX this morning. This will be the second time Lawler has run for the office of the Mayor, having run and lost to Memphis' current Mayor back in 1999.

~gymdiva~
07-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Jim Ross posted the following in his latest blog regarding Jerry Lawler and his run for Memphis Mayor:

"For Monday Night Raw fans, if Lawler wins the Memphis Mayoral race he will have to come off Monday Night Raw which would certainly end an amazing era that started 15 years ago. Jerry and I had approximately 12 great years together sitting at ringside every Monday night during the hottest period ever in WWE but as in all phases of our lives things change."

Jerry Lawler also said during an interview that he'd be retiring from wrestling if he won the election that is still a few months out.

~gymdiva~
07-11-2009, 02:31 AM
Jim Ross posted the following blog over at JRsBarBQ.com:

"It looks as it the King is actually going to run for Mayor of Memphis as a special election is apparently going to be held in Memphis in about 90 days. The position of Mayor of Memphis, Tennessee is a full time position and one cannot hold another job, as I understand the matter."

"I had some fun on one of my blogs earlier in the week about King NOT running for Mayor. However, after communicating with Jerry, seeing how serious he is about making a difference in his hometown and his desire to help all the people of Memphis, I not only endorse Jerry's candidacy but am very proud of him for wanting to do such an honorable thing for the people of Memphis."

memphismuscle
07-11-2009, 03:07 AM
haha being from memphis i don't know how good of a shot he has, he has done this before and did ok. i will say this he can't do any worse than the fuck tard we had in office before. LAWLER FOR MAYOR!!!!!!!!!!

Goodfellas
07-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Gymdiva what is his platform based on, puppies? :wavey:

Gaoshang Xiongshou
07-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Lawler is going to win.

Goodfellas
07-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Lawler is going to win.

You going to go out and vote?

Gaoshang Xiongshou
07-11-2009, 10:09 AM
You going to go out and vote?

Maybe.

Goodfellas
07-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I voted for elliott Spitzer for governor and he was kicked out of office for a sex scandal lol

~gymdiva~
07-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Gymdiva what is his platform based on, puppies? :wavey:

save the puppies platform...could work on soooo many levels! :doggy: :boobies:

chitownmscle
07-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Considering Arnold is governor of Cali and Jessie the Body was Governor of MN why not Jerry Lawlor for Mayor, I am still waiting for Charles Barkley to run for some office in Alabama like he has claimed he is going to do for some years now

trex257
07-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes folks, it is true. Jerry Lawler will AGAIN be running for mayor. He ran in 1998 or 1999 and lost then. I, unfortunately, live in Memphis and was subjected to the last 18 years of our crappy mayor's administration so whoever we get for mayor in the next election will be a welcome departure from the last moron. But yes, Lawler is running again.

chitownmscle
07-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I actually think it's awesome that he is running. Men and women who have come up the hard way and are self made are the people who should be in charge because they understand the struggle of someone like myself or the King coming up in Memphis.

Men and women who are highly educated but have no idea what reality is because they have never experienced it are the people who are ruining this country.

~gymdiva~
08-14-2009, 10:20 PM
JerryLawler2009.com

his official mayoral website! :)

~gymdiva~
08-18-2009, 01:12 PM
LAWLER STORY LINK (http://www.wreg.com/wreg-lawler-for-mayor,0,4993126.story)

by Bill Behrens
Aug 18, 2009

Well Jerry Lawler is running gain for Mayor of Memphis, as previously reported.

I remember the first time he ran in 1999 getting 12% of the vote. I was promoting in Georgia and in Nashville off & on with Bert Prentice and Bert was helping Lawler. I recall picking up a bunch of Lawler for Mayor Lawn signs for him once. When the election was over we had hundreds of those things, and I tried to get rid of them thinking folk would buy them. I even had some for Lawler to sign when Lawler appeared in Conyors, GA for me, and I thnk we sold maybe two of them. I used some to fill in a wall in a shed at my house, and threw away a bunch. Who knew they'd have value nearly a decade later.

Oh well.

Anyway WREG-TV did a nice piece on it's website with video at wreg.com/wreg-lawler-for-mayor,0,4993126.story

When asked if he is serious about being mayor:

"yes, I am very serious. I'm in this race to win, and I think I can win," Lawler says. "I'm all about bringing common sense to this city."

Lawler also addressed his and his sons' legal issue:

"Have I been to court? Yes, I've been to court. When you're a public figure you become a target, that's just the way it goes," he says.

~gymdiva~
09-16-2009, 11:33 PM
by Matt Boone
Sep 16, 2009

--Apparently Jerry "The King" Lawler missed an important Mayoral debate this past Monday night, opting instead to work WWE RAW as scheduled.

~gymdiva~
09-17-2009, 09:34 PM
by Nick Paglino
Sep 17, 2009

In a new blog over at JRsBarBQ.com, Jim Ross had the following to say concerning Jerry Lawler's WWE future if he were to be elected as the Mayor of Memphis: "My guess is that if Jerry Lawler is elected Mayor of Memphis that the King will continue his role on Monday Night Raw. I can see some PR and marketing value for Memphis with their Mayor appearing on global TV on a weekly basis. Lawler's political opponents might disagree with that assessment. This race is still wide open."

~gymdiva~
09-24-2009, 07:02 AM
GX, do you get any of this? have you seen coverage on it? I'd be curious to know how it all plays off to someone who lives there...

by Matt Boone
Sep 23, 2009

The following is an excerpt from an article on MemphisNewsBlog.com:

Mayoral candidate and pro wrestler Jerry Lawler will not let a local TV station exclude him from an upcoming mayoral debate without a fight.

Lawler is threatening legal action against WREG-TV Channel 3 unless the station allows him to participate in a televised debate Saturday, which is also sponsored by The Commercial Appeal. He's claiming his exclusion from the debate - which is open to only four top candidates -- "could result in permanent, irreparable damage to his mayoral campaign."

"The outrage has been overwhelming," Lawler said in a statement. "Our campaign headquarters has been flooded with phone calls and emails. People are upset, they feel like they are being ignored - their voice is being ignored by the media and by the status quo career politicians."

The debate will feature Shelby County Mayor A C Wharton, Mayor Pro Tem Myron Lowery, former City Councilwoman Carol Chumney and attorney Charles Carpenter - a decision made based on the results of last week's Mason-Dixon poll of 400 likely voters.

FULL ARTICLE (http://memphisnewsblog.com/2009/09/lawler-excluded-from-upcoming-mayoral-debate-threatens-legal-action-against-tv-station.html)

Gaoshang Xiongshou
09-24-2009, 08:16 AM
That article is correct. And I will be living back inside the city limits, so I will be able to vote. I am paying attention to what Lawler has to say.

I know where his campaign headquarters is. I just might direct them to this thread... :whistle: