PDA

View Full Version : Upper/lower splits, 3 or 4 times a week? HELP

small2big
07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Would an upper/lower split be better to do 3 or 4 times a week?

ex:

3x a week, basically switching upper lower everyother day.

Monday=upper
wednesday=lower
Firday=upper

Monday=lower
Wednesday=upper
Friday=lower

4 x a week, seems like it might be a bit much??

Monday and Thurday=upper

Tuesday and friday=lower

also, what do you guys/gals think of these types of routines? Good? not so good? I have never done an upper/lower but seems logical...

small2big
07-13-2009, 12:00 AM
anyone?

Mr. Hyde
07-13-2009, 01:14 AM
Ive done the 4 day split with great results, i would go with that one. You can also do it westside style MWFSu. I think a routine like this is great for someone new to the game trying to put on mass. I also have used it recently and i have been training almost 10 years now. Most powerlifters use a routine like that all the time. What are your goals??

small2big
07-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Ive done the 4 day split with great results, i would go with that one. You can also do it westside style MWFSu. I think a routine like this is great for someone new to the game trying to put on mass. I also have used it recently and i have been training almost 10 years now. Most powerlifters use a routine like that all the time. What are your goals??

Cool, some people are saying the 3x may be better cause the 4x just may be to much. But, im not new to the game at all. Ive been lifting for 3-4 years seriously but have always done Fullbody and 3 x splits. Never the upper lower. But it seem good since everything gets hit 2x. However I dont know how I would hit the entire upper body with enuff umph in 1 session.

Mr. Hyde
07-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Cool, some people are saying the 3x may be better cause the 4x just may be to much. But, im not new to the game at all. Ive been lifting for 3-4 years seriously but have always done Fullbody and 3 x splits. Never the upper lower. But it seem good since everything gets hit 2x. However I dont know how I would hit the entire upper body with enuff umph in 1 session.

I Use to do something like this 2 chest, 2 back, 1 delt, 1 bi, 1 tri. All should be compund movements. I used to do this routine alot

Bench
Incline dumbells
Rack chins
Bent barbell rows
Overhead press
EZ curls
Reverse smith press

People online love to tell other people they are overtraining for some odd reason. This Upper/lower split might overtrain you or it might not, only you are gonna know that. Genitics and recovery play a huge roll in this. If your making size and strength gains you not overtraining. If your strength starts to go down then you are, its really that simple. I would give it 8 weeks before you decide if its for you or not.