PDA

View Full Version : My first contest.

Stavman
07-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Wuddup strong dudes, I'm Stavros and I am 20 year old bodybuilder who wants to be a crossbreed lol. I need to ask you guys a few questions.

I will be doing my first contest in November and there events haven't been posted yet. I will be cutting down to the 200 and under division.

The contest will be a mixture of strongman and powerlifting. I am positive it won't be one rep maxes and the events will be the same weight for everyone in my weight class and reps are what count.

1. Do you guys know what the standard weights will be for the bench, dead, squat and overhead press in my class?

2. What the fuck are some standard strongman events I will need to train for?

3. I still want to train like a bodybuilder, how should I go about this while still trying to train for a PL/SM contest?

Sorry for being so stupid, I am just a strong BB who wants to see what strong man is like.

Thanks guys.

Sistersteel
07-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Well hello strong bodybuilder.
Some great guys on this forum who would be happy to assist you. I will bump this for BrotherIron who is a halfbreed sell out like you. lol Just kidding.

Take a look at BI's training journal until tjoe or rob get to this thread. They will brief you on the prerequisites needed to compete in strength meets.

SS

Stavman
07-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Well hello strong bodybuilder.
Some great guys on this forum who would be happy to assist you. I will bump this for BrotherIron who is a halfbreed sell out like you. lol Just kidding.

Take a look at BI's training journal until tjoe or rob get to this thread. They will brief you on the prerequisites needed to compete in strength meets.

SS

Lol, thank you. I will do that.

robert da strongman
07-13-2009, 10:42 AM
where and when is the comp?
is it a NAS comp?

details would help. kind of hard to train for something if you dont know the events

BrotherIron
07-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Sellout, lol. SS just wants me to complete in Oly Lifting. My training routine is a kind of "hybrid" since combined 3 different training methods. I incorporated Oly Lifting, Pl, and Strongman all together. The carry over of stength is HUGE imho and this program has really helped in developing motor pathways as well.

I use different sets, reps, and of course rest periods to achieve my goals. I also use movements which are very foreign to bbers considering I don't use a single machine and use many old school movements and also think outside the box. If you want to see what I do just go to the, "whats your training like" thread and you can see it detail.

What lil I know about strongman, I would assume that you would want to train with the axle, the log, the tire, the keg, the stones, and the sled. I'm sure there are more but these are what I am familiar with.

I would suggest you try to find a facility which houses these apparatuses since to become proficient at the lifts you need the equipment to practice with.

I'll bump this for Rob and Tjoe who compete in SM. I'm sure they will be able to shed more light on the matter.

BK
07-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Wuddup strong dudes, I'm Stavros and I am 20 year old bodybuilder who wants to be a crossbreed lol. I need to ask you guys a few questions.

I will be doing my first contest in November and there events haven't been posted yet. I will be cutting down to the 200 and under division.

The contest will be a mixture of strongman and powerlifting. I am positive it won't be one rep maxes and the events will be the same weight for everyone in my weight class and reps are what count.

1. Do you guys know what the standard weights will be for the bench, dead, squat and overhead press in my class?

2. What the fuck are some standard strongman events I will need to train for?

3. I still want to train like a bodybuilder, how should I go about this while still trying to train for a PL/SM contest?

Sorry for being so stupid, I am just a strong BB who wants to see what strong man is like.

Thanks guys.
Knowing what the events are would certainly help. Obviously if it is a powerliting/strongman combo show then we know that you will more then likely perform the squat, deadlift, or bench. Since these three movements are typically performed in most strenght athletes training regimen, you will want to add these into your program.
As far as event training is concerned there are some things you can do to mimic some events in the gym. Some examples below:
Yoke walk: Load a barbell with a weight you cuold normally squat for 5 reps. Get under the bar and perform long walkouts with the bar on your back.

Stones: sit a 10lb plate on the ground. Place 45 lb plates on top of the 10 lb. Place your fingers under the 45 lb plates and lift. This mimcs lifting atlas stones off the ground.

Stones/Conans wheel: Zercher squats. Place a loaded barbell in the crooks of your arm and squat down until the elbows touch your knees. You can also place the bar on some pins below the knees and perform them this way. As far as training for Conans Wheel take the barbell and either walk with it or stand with it for timed sets.

Farmers Walk: Grab a set of dumbells that you can hold onto with out the use of straps and perform walks with them.

Throw in some power cleans, DB snatches, low back and weighted ab work.

tjoe
07-13-2009, 01:56 PM
date, location, federation, flyer etc??? anything would help.

Stavman
07-13-2009, 02:46 PM
where and when is the comp?
is it a NAS comp?

details would help. kind of hard to train for something if you dont know the events

It is in Phoenix, AZ sometime in Novemeber. The fuckers are taking forever to update anybody with event details.

Sellout, lol. SS just wants me to complete in Oly Lifting. My training routine is a kind of "hybrid" since combined 3 different training methods. I incorporated Oly Lifting, Pl, and Strongman all together. The carry over of stength is HUGE imho and this program has really helped in developing motor pathways as well.

I use different sets, reps, and of course rest periods to achieve my goals. I also use movements which are very foreign to bbers considering I don't use a single machine and use many old school movements and also think outside the box. If you want to see what I do just go to the, "whats your training like" thread and you can see it detail.

What lil I know about strongman, I would assume that you would want to train with the axle, the log, the tire, the keg, the stones, and the sled. I'm sure there are more but these are what I am familiar with.

I would suggest you try to find a facility which houses these apparatuses since to become proficient at the lifts you need the equipment to practice with.

I'll bump this for Rob and Tjoe who compete in SM. I'm sure they will be able to shed more light on the matter.

Thanks man. I have a couple of buddies who have all that SM stuff at their house, it should be fun!

Knowing what the events are would certainly help. Obviously if it is a powerliting/strongman combo show then we know that you will more then likely perform the squat, deadlift, or bench. Since these three movements are typically performed in most strenght athletes training regimen, you will want to add these into your program.
As far as event training is concerned there are some things you can do to mimic some events in the gym. Some examples below:
Yoke walk: Load a barbell with a weight you cuold normally squat for 5 reps. Get under the bar and perform long walkouts with the bar on your back.

Stones: sit a 10lb plate on the ground. Place 45 lb plates on top of the 10 lb. Place your fingers under the 45 lb plates and lift. This mimcs lifting atlas stones off the ground.

Stones/Conans wheel: Zercher squats. Place a loaded barbell in the crooks of your arm and squat down until the elbows touch your knees. You can also place the bar on some pins below the knees and perform them this way. As far as training for Conans Wheel take the barbell and either walk with it or stand with it for timed sets.

Farmers Walk: Grab a set of dumbells that you can hold onto with out the use of straps and perform walks with them.

Throw in some power cleans, DB snatches, low back and weighted ab work.

GREAT POST! I will definitely start doing all of those.

date, location, federation, flyer etc??? anything would help.

Look at what I said to Robert. I wish I knew more man.

robert da strongman
07-13-2009, 03:44 PM
hit the basics like BK posted.

tjoe
07-13-2009, 03:46 PM
here is the problem... there are a LOT of events!
Some basics: Tire flip, stones, overhead press (axle or log), loading or carrying various objects, farmers walk, yoke etc. Then toss in the PL side of it and ya got your deads squats and benches.

Types of strength to work on:
static (where the feet don't move), overheads, deads
moving (there is always some kind of moving in strongman) farmers, yoke, frame carry, keg loading, truck pull etc.
Stones would be a mix in my opinion. hard to practice unless you have some to use (why we made our own!)

as said earlier, if you know the events it's much easier to train for.

maybe we should start by asking "what" you have to train with?? ANY strongman stuff at all or all gym stuff?

tjoe
07-13-2009, 03:48 PM
on a side note... this looks exciting. I will be interested to see how this progresses!

Stavman
07-13-2009, 04:26 PM
here is the problem... there are a LOT of events!
Some basics: Tire flip, stones, overhead press (axle or log), loading or carrying various objects, farmers walk, yoke etc. Then toss in the PL side of it and ya got your deads squats and benches.

Types of strength to work on:
static (where the feet don't move), overheads, deads
moving (there is always some kind of moving in strongman) farmers, yoke, frame carry, keg loading, truck pull etc.
Stones would be a mix in my opinion. hard to practice unless you have some to use (why we made our own!)

as said earlier, if you know the events it's much easier to train for.

maybe we should start by asking "what" you have to train with?? ANY strongman stuff at all or all gym stuff?

The static will be easy for me. Deads and overhead presses will be a piece of cake. The moving will be a bitch to train for, but I do have access to stones and other equipment.

Here is the guy I will be training with, he is about 235 and just about 2 years older than me! He is the one that wants me to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Benv10

Check out all his vids, I think he has crazy potential.

tjoe
07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll check out those vids shortly.
get to work on those stones.
overheads can never be strong enough!! I won the viking press at my last event but the log in my next comp will be a challenge. you will also have to practice clean and pressing every rep, not just pressing. (but every comp is different)
deads, be good at singles and reps!