PDA

View Full Version : question about stevia..help!!

debbiebramwell
07-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Hey guys....I am on keto so I cant use my splenda:( LOL I have tried to order a few different stevias.....some had maltodextrin in it so I couldnt use it so I asked dave for a link.....he linked me to sweetleafe sweetner.......it tastes gross to me...lol....so where can I find a stevia that tastes good??(with no maltodextrin) please help??? :D

NPCfigure
07-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Hey Debbie!

I use Stevia in the raw. Its in a green box...comes 50pk to a box. I get it at A&P. It has an ingrediant called dextrose in it...I don't know if thats the same ingrediant that you have been finding???? I actually like how this tastes too...

Dan Newmire
07-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Why dont you just use nutra sweet?? look for something that is phenyl alanine. Same stuff found in my fav diet pepsi :) Usually the stevia has maltodextrose in it also. Just look an make sure if you get Stevia, its just pure stevia

debbiebramwell
07-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Why dont you just use nutra sweet?? look for something that is phenyl alanine. Same stuff found in my fav diet pepsi :) Usually the stevia has maltodextrose in it also. Just look an make sure if you get Stevia, its just pure stevia

well dave said we are allowed stevia.....but some stevia does have maltodextrin and some doesnt...this one I have tastes nasty!! I dont know where to find it...I ordered from online and didnt know until I got it that it has maltodrextrin in it...

debbiebramwell
07-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey Debbie!

I use Stevia in the raw. Its in a green box...comes 50pk to a box. I get it at A&P. It has an ingrediant called dextrose in it...I don't know if thats the same ingrediant that you have been finding???? I actually like how this tastes too...

hmm we dont have a&P im on keto...so no carbs/sugar I loved my splenda...it tastes good on everything! have you tried it on cucumber ?? yum!

arielkhadr
07-13-2009, 02:02 PM
hmm we dont have a&P im on keto...so no carbs/sugar I loved my splenda...it tastes good on everything! have you tried it on cucumber ?? yum!

Lol.. Debbie you sound like me :p

stephaniewicked
07-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey Debbie!

I have the same one! I'm looking at a packet now and it says it only has dextrose and stevia extract (rebiana) in it...

www.steviaextractintheraw.com

This may not be good though. The dextrose is considered a carb. :(

What is Stevia Extract In The Raw?
Stevia Extract In The Raw is a naturally delicious, zero-calorie, granulated sweetener derived directly from the leafy green foliage of the Stevia plant (stevia rebaudiana Bertoni). The sweetest part of the plant – an extract called Rebiana (a.k.a. Rebaudioside-A or Reb-A) — is then isolated to create a sweetener extract that is 300 to 400 times sweeter than cane sugar. This extract is blended with dextrose, a natural carbohydrate derived from corn, to produce the 100% natural, zero-calorie sweetener we call Stevia Extract In The Raw.

sbfigure
07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
I get my stevia from Vitamin Shoppe and it says right on the packet it does NOT contain: refined sugar, matodextrine, fructose or artificial sweeteners (saccharin, nutrasweet {aspartame}, Ace k)

its ingredients are: Fiber (FOS) and stevia Leaf extract. It def. does not taste like shit....
every vitamin shoppe i've gone to has it... or u can order it off their site.. its in a blue vitamin shoppe box.

good luck!

dvsness
07-13-2009, 05:26 PM
The only stevia I like is Truvia. The other ones taste bitter and nasty.

debbiebramwell
07-13-2009, 06:06 PM
I get my stevia from Vitamin Shoppe and it says right on the packet it does NOT contain: refined sugar, matodextrine, fructose or artificial sweeteners (saccharin, nutrasweet {aspartame}, Ace k)

its ingredients are: Fiber (FOS) and stevia Leaf extract. It def. does not taste like shit....
every vitamin shoppe i've gone to has it... or u can order it off their site.. its in a blue vitamin shoppe box.

good luck!

thank you ladies..im gonna check these out!!

debbiebramwell
07-13-2009, 06:24 PM

good luck!

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1819 this it??

sbfigure
07-13-2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1819 this it??

yup!! thats it!

debbiebramwell
07-13-2009, 10:43 PM
yup!! thats it!
thank you! I appreciate your help! ;)

MashkaNY
07-14-2009, 09:48 AM
hey why not buy the lose kind, not in packets?

i have bought some from NOW brand, was great

and "other ingredients: none"

mshrdbdy
07-14-2009, 08:16 PM

AGREED! I absolutely love this stuff, I put it on EVERYTHING. I love how it's granulated like real sugar but no icky bitter aftertaste like sweetleaf..

debbiebramwell
07-14-2009, 08:20 PM
AGREED! I absolutely love this stuff, I put it on EVERYTHING. I love how it's granulated like real sugar but no icky bitter aftertaste like sweetleaf..

does it have any maltodextrin or carbs in it?? where do you get it?

Z33ACV2
07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
The only stevia brand that I really like is NuStevia... I got it in Whole Foods.

debbiebramwell
07-14-2009, 10:00 PM

dave just told me I cant have this one
\

debbiebramwell
07-14-2009, 10:46 PM
okay so I ran a few past dave....the now stevia balance I can use( I have some at home but thought I couldnt use it because it said 1 carb..but its fiber!) and it tastes good ! plus I ordered one to try(from vitamin shoppe) be careful you cant just use any of them if on keto thanks everyone!

bigc11
07-14-2009, 11:08 PM
i got mine at vitamin world and they had a whole selection. the one i got came in a box of 100 packs by all natural sweet herb and the ingredients is stevia extract and 1g of inulin fiber. only $7

bigc11
07-14-2009, 11:09 PM
and it tastes great

debbiebramwell
07-14-2009, 11:13 PM
i got mine at vitamin world and they had a whole selection. the one i got came in a box of 100 packs by all natural sweet herb and the ingredients is stevia extract and 1g of inulin fiber. only $7

and it tastes great

thats perfect..........what was the name of yours? brand?

bigc11
07-15-2009, 04:03 PM
stevia with fiber by all nautural sweet herb.

LisaRD23
07-15-2009, 04:15 PM
I have Stevia Certified Organic Extract- Trader Joe's Brand.

other ingredients says: Rice Maltodextrin and Silica

Calories 0, Total carb 1g (per packet)

I only use about 1 packet a day.....is this probally not a good option?

Sledge
07-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I think Dave says that the one you use are ok, if you are like me, and only have one or two packs a day in your coffee or something. I think the problem comes when people smother their food in the stuff all the time and the carbs mount up. I think Debs quote "I loved my splenda...it tastes good on everything! have you tried it on cucumber". Indicates she'd be best off with the zero carb stevia.:D

LisaRD23
07-15-2009, 04:44 PM
I think Dave says that the one you use are ok, if you are like me, and only have one or two packs a day in your coffee or something. I think the problem comes when people smother their food in the stuff all the time and the carbs mount up. I think Debs quote "I loved my splenda...it tastes good on everything! have you tried it on cucumber". Indicates she'd be best off with the zero carb stevia.:D

Lol..wow...I only use 1/2 pack in one of my oatmeal servings...and the other 1/2 if I have a cup of coffee..

drsalomon
07-29-2009, 01:25 AM
you can't use splenda on a keto diet?

B7emm
07-29-2009, 01:29 AM
you can't use splenda on a keto diet?
it has a few carbs in it and maltodextren.

dvsness
07-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I've used Splenda, Equal and Truvia while dieting without carbs. As well as sugarfree gum. I progressed just fine.

SallyAnne
07-29-2009, 01:00 PM
I checked the ingredients in Truvia and it has Erythritol in it - which is a sugar alcohol and supposedly has no impact on blood sugar or insulin levels.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/erythritol.htm

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
07-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey guys....I am on keto so I cant use my splenda:( LOL I have tried to order a few different stevias.....some had maltodextrin in it so I couldnt use it so I asked dave for a link.....he linked me to sweetleafe sweetner.......it tastes gross to me...lol....so where can I find a stevia that tastes good??(with no maltodextrin) please help??? :D

I use the liquid flavored stevia. Not sure if Maltodextrin is in it, it shouldn't be because stevia is from a plant and isn't an artificial sweetner.
I guess if you go to any organic or farmer's markets, they have a shelf w different types. Some are natural liquid and some are powders. You just have to read.
There is another form of stevia called Truvia. There is 3 g of carbs per packet, but it doesn't have maltodextrin in it. I sometimes use that in my black coffee.

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
07-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Okay miss debrah, I checked my liquid and my powder.
The liquid vanilla flavored stevia that I use in my water, coffee on my food etc.....
Ingredients:
Stevia Extract, Water, Vanilla Bean Extract, glycerine, natural flavors (this is probably where the crap is located lol)

Truvia
Ingredients:
Erythritol, rebiana, natural flavors

Erythritol is the natural sweetener created from Stevia when the stevia is dried and steeped in water.

There are 3 g of carbs per packet. Not sure if you are a freak when it comes to carbs, but there aren't that many.

lomox
07-31-2009, 04:19 PM
http://vitanetonline.com/description/10412/vitamins/Pure-Stevia-Extract-Powder/

I have tried them all and this is far and away the BEST Stevia you can buy!!!

100% Stevia Extract - SO, that means its extremely potent. 1/4 tsp for most purposes (= 2tbps sugar). I like stuff sweet so I use a bit more. It's NOT great for "sprinkling" but it is awesome for recipes, shakes, drinks, etc... anything you can mix. Here's the short list of things I add it to:

Egg Whites
Oatmeal
Coffee
Tea
Salads
Ground meat (ever wonder why Mickey Ds burgers taste so good! SUGAR!)
Hot sauces (any homeade sauces really)
Spiking Walden products
Cooked veggies
Add to almonds in a container, shake - go nuts!
Natty PB
Cocoa Powder
Flavored seltzer

The downside to me is that fake sweet makes you crave more sweet. But you are using so little of this stuff and its trully calorie free that you can go nuts with it. Try adding it to shit you would never think to put sugar on - like hamburger meat. This stuff is the ONLY reason I can stick to such extreme diets.

BTW - any Stevia cut with Inulin or any fiber tastes like ass to me.

Im curious as to Truvia though. 3 carbs but Zero calories. Can this Erythritol be metabolized by humans or is it like dietary fiber where its actually has no caloric value (as it is not digested). I would really liek an answer to this b/c that is easily the best tasting and most versatile Stevia out there.

lomox
07-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Try this: 1 tbsp Herseys Special Dark cocoa powder, 1 tbsp psyllium husk, stevia to taste, water to desired consitiency. Put it in a bottle, shake, refrigerate for a little bit. Now you have dark chocolate syrup! THE ENTIRE BOTTLE has 3 carbs from the Cocoa (and 2g of dietary fiber from the cocoa as well), 34 ZERO VALUE calories from the Psyllium (NOT DIGESTED) and FIVE, yes 5, calories from the cocoa. If you dont like dark chocolate youre a freak, lol, no you can use reg cocoa powder, but thats 15 calories - for the bottle. Play with it till you get the consitiency right. Then once you got it down you can add drops of extract like a few drops of almond extract, coffee extract, vanilla, mint, etc. Get creative. Sometimes I drop the chocolate all together and make ZERO calorie vanilla or maple syrup with extracts. Also, try adding a little cayenne pepper!!! This is a dessert chef's secret. Cayeene pepper and coffee really bring out the flavor of chocolate. Enjoy!

Rick Prince
08-01-2009, 05:18 PM

I noticed our local health food store (Gloria's Good Health) had three brands of stevia .

In powdered form they have two types from NuNaturals. One of those does not have carbs and the other has maltodextrin.

They also have liquid stevia extracts from Optimum Nutrition, Nu Naturals, and Sweet Leaf. The Sweet Leaf extract contains grapefruit seed extract and comes in various flavors.

stephaniewicked
08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Okay, found another one at ShopRite (which is so much more convenient than making special trips to the health food store!)

It's called Stevita Stevia Supreme, which like another one someone mentioned, only contains stevia extract abnd erythritol - 0 cal, 0 carbs! Ever since I discovered this, I stopped using the other brands I was finding because they contained maltodextrin and other fillers.

http://stevitastevia.com/content/blogcategory/27/50/

SallyAnne
08-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I found a brand at New Frontiers Natural Market called NuStevia NoCarb Blend. It has Stevia and Erythritol in it. Tastes VERY good - no bitterness.

stephaniewicked
08-11-2009, 01:34 PM
This looks good so far, thanks for the info :)

No prob, sweets!

I found a brand at New Frontiers Natural Market called NuStevia NoCarb Blend. It has Stevia and Erythritol in it. Tastes VERY good - no bitterness.

I notice that with the one I have too... love it! :)

InHonorInMind
08-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Guys!!! I just started Dave's diet and I picked up a bag of XyloSweet from whole foods. Its nice and granular and super sweet. Here is the link: http://www.xlear.com/xylosweet.aspx

Is this ok to use? It says no blood sugar effects.....its xylitol....I want to remain in ketosis....so could I use this? I also have tried NuStevia....think thats 2nd best to this....tried everything else (Whole foods will actually give you a little packet of each to try and then decide!!!) and these are the only two I actually liked. So any help would be appreciated!!!

anabolic fyre
08-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I've been using stevia in the raw maybe twice a day, is this fine while on the keto diet?? i only use it in my preworkout coffee isolyze shake, nd my morning coffee. thanks...

InHonorInMind
08-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I've been using stevia in the raw maybe twice a day, is this fine while on the keto diet?? i only use it in my preworkout coffee isolyze shake, nd my morning coffee. thanks...

Dave answered me back. Said that stevia is fine. and Xylitol, while sugar free is not carb free so should not be used. Stevia it is! :yep: