PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk...coming back after a LONG layoff, muscle memory and injury prevention..

AlphaMike
06-22-2015, 12:02 AM
Basically looking for anyone's input on coming back after a long layoff and any advice on injury protection/prevention.

I am coming back after a 15 year layoff. (trained from 15 to 25, currently 40 years old) No previous injury history. Always trained with moderate weights, high reps, perfect form. On point diet.

Training during 15 year gap consisting primarily of...well nothing. Diet consisted of Coors lights, Jack Daniels, White Castle, Burger King etc. ....you get the point.

Previous training body weight in the 215-225 range.

Weight after 15 year gap 150.

Back in in the game (as far as diet, training etc) for just a few weeks. Out of the gate I start hitting it hard. Using low weights but higher reps to failure. (25-30 rep range) The logic being to minimize injuries while still obliterating the muscles and forcing as much blood into the muscle groups trained as possible.

Gains are returning very quickly. My concern is obviously the potential for injury...just wanted to see if anyone else out there has ever been in a similar situation and/or had any insightful thoughts in general on injury prevention or coming back after a layoff..

Curt James
06-22-2015, 12:45 AM
Previous training body weight in the 215-225 range.

Weight after 15 year gap 150.

Welcome back to the gym. I'm no expert at all and look forward to a knowledgeable reply but will add that your strategy of lower weight/higher reps to failure seems like the right approach.

Muscle memory is a crazy thing. Bet you'll be back to 215 and more in no time.

Start a training journal and I'm sure there will be a lot of feedback.

Training journals are here. (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/forumdisplay.php?193-Training-Journals) Just start a new thread!

AlphaMike
06-23-2015, 12:34 AM
Thanks, Curt. Appreciate the reply and the encouragement.

I'll definitely check out some of those journals over the next few days and consider doing one myself. I'm kind of an "old school" trainer and do a lot of modified Arthur Jones/Mentzer type training that works best for my body so if it could work for someone else.. why not share my experiences on the road back!

And, as I've learned over the last few weeks, muscle memory is a very real thing.... although I think anyone training with correct form, no cheating, not using momentum, SLOW negative reps, rest/pause training to squeeze out a few more reps after failure etc. could make awesome natural gains.... It worked wonders for me when I was younger... and now at 40. (Albeit with much lighter weights and higher reps.... for the time being at least...)

AlphaMike
02-05-2016, 01:50 AM
Not sure why I'm logging in here besides to check on the date i posted that.. clocking in at just shy of 220 totally natural and injury free! High reps and high calories work!