PDA

View Full Version : Hang Deadlift?

Lucas
07-14-2009, 04:47 AM
My apologies if this a amatuer-esque question, but what are the benefits of supplementing hang-deadlifts in my routine as opposed to normal ones? Does it work a certain sticking point or target something different? Thanks in advance! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lyHcYKehWg

HammerStrength12
07-14-2009, 09:36 AM
No problem. I assume you're talking about Romanian Deadlifts(RDLs)

Bodybuilders use them because they hit the hamstrings pretty hard. It harder to round your back on RDLs and easier to engage the muscles of the posterior chain. You can really overload the hamstrings with this one. Olympic lifters use them to enhance the second pull of a clean while powerlifters sometimes use them as well. Definitely a great exercise worth doing, no matter what you train for.

Lucas
07-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Im familiar with RDL's but y, as in this video do they start the movement from the top position as opposed to starting from the bottom. Unless ive been doing RDL's wrong and youre supposed to start from that position, or is it just a question of preferation?

Lucas
07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Oh mite have solved this myself, is it just wit a extremely heavy weight they start from the top position so that they dont strain theyre hamstrings lifting from the bottom position?

HammerStrength12
07-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Hmm. Didn't realize there was a video there, for some reason it isn't showing up on my computer. You've got the right idea though, I personally like to start off of a rack to avoid pulling from the ground and using my back(especially on a non-back day)

tjoe
07-14-2009, 11:14 AM
I always start from the ground.
"start off of a rack to avoid pulling from the ground and using my back"
I don't understand this?? The whole point of deads IS back.
Your avi is even Ronnie getting ready to pull 800 from the FLOOR!

HammerStrength12
07-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Nooo lol, that's not what I'm saying.

If I do a hard back day, I'll ALWAYS throw in heavy dead off the ground. That's what a deadlift is, starts from the ground in a dead stop.

I've I've just trained back a few days earlier and am doing legs, I'll often throw in RDLs for the hamstrings. If my back's sore from a few days earlier, I'll start the RDLs off the rack.

I NEVER start regular deadlifts off the rack, just RDLs haha. Deads always start from the floor

robert da strongman
07-14-2009, 12:00 PM
if its rdl's they should only go from mid shin to just above the knee. keeps the hamstrings in it. so starting on blocks would make sense.

BrotherIron
07-14-2009, 12:11 PM
A video showing the exercise would be helpful. There are many Oly Lifts which would look like this to someone but they are not deadlifts.

The reason for performing movements from the hang is to really stress the spinal erectors and to strengthen them causing a strength carryover which will help in many other lifts.

tjoe
07-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Nooo lol, that's not what I'm saying.

If I do a hard back day, I'll ALWAYS throw in heavy dead off the ground. That's what a deadlift is, starts from the ground in a dead stop.

I've I've just trained back a few days earlier and am doing legs, I'll often throw in RDLs for the hamstrings. If my back's sore from a few days earlier, I'll start the RDLs off the rack.

I NEVER start regular deadlifts off the rack, just RDLs haha. Deads always start from the floorah. you made me cringe for a minute :D now it is clear.