PDA

View Full Version : What cardio is best for someone with muscular legs?

Lilr24
07-14-2009, 09:49 AM
I competed in my first figure comp in may and won...and am currently in the off season. I have very muscular legs, and although got many compliments at my show on my lower half, I'm afraid that they are almost too big. I was a cross country runner and sprinter in HS so have always had strong muscular legs. What cardio do you think would be best to trim them and just maintain their size. I'm afraid they are getting larger and overpowering. I am doing an hour of cardio a day and switch it up every day. One day i will put the treadmill at a 5.5 incline and run at level 6 speed, i walk at a 15 incline at level 3.5, i do the stepper at level 10 and eliptical at level 7. I don't usually bike because i don't feel it burns enough calories. I aim to burn 1000 cals per hour. I don't lift heavy on leg day, and just do low weight high rep...but still my legs are bigger than most of the men in the gym lol. I know alot of it is genetics...i have big legs...but any tips on how to maintain and trim? Any advice would greatly be appreciated : )

triceptor
07-14-2009, 10:06 AM
while this is not a subject that I claim to be an expert... legs will grow if the cardio is strenuous and occurs in burst that place a greater demand on the legs.. like sprinting.. so I would imagine that the traditional slow arduous cardio would NOT contribute to your leg size and development.. and potentially whittle them sown a little.

With that being said.... 1000 cals an hour goal may be making you place the kind of work load on your legs that will keep them or make them larger if you are using the incline and extra resistance. I would opt for low resistance and higher speeds to hit the 1000 cal an hour goal IMHO...

Studies on sprinters shows that they undergo the same fiber changes as does resistance training with weights. The aerobic/anaerobic threshold may play a role in those changes so if you're feeling the burn of lactate build up you may be producing the wrong resulst based upon your goals.

Also, do you do a lot of direct resistance leg work? Squats? etc.? I interviewed Trey Brewer once and when he first started BB'ing he actually stopped training his legs because they were so overpowering to his upper body....

Carl

Lilr24
07-14-2009, 10:35 AM
On leg day i usually do straight leg dl, wide stance squats, leg ext, lunges, and lying leg curls. 3-4 x 12-15. I've thought about stopping training legs...but am worried they would become soft...but i suppose the cardio would keep them tight? My next show is in november, so maybe i'll try and lower the resistance and speed for the next month and see my results. Do you think i'll have to spend more time doing cardio tho since i won't be exerting myself as much?

nutratroy
07-17-2009, 02:47 AM
On leg day i usually do straight leg dl, wide stance squats, leg ext, lunges, and lying leg curls. 3-4 x 12-15. I've thought about stopping training legs...but am worried they would become soft...but i suppose the cardio would keep them tight? My next show is in november, so maybe i'll try and lower the resistance and speed for the next month and see my results. Do you think i'll have to spend more time doing cardio tho since i won't be exerting myself as much?

Hontesly Lil24, Hard to judge without actual pictures. I know girls who say the same thing and they hold a lot of estrogen in the lower half mis consturing it for muscle.

Here is a female who has legit top national figure (soon to be IFBB Figure Pro) with muscluar legs & wants to bring them down. Is this your same case?

2009 Akane:to the left not training legs

2008 Akane to the right training legs

Lilr24
07-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Wow...her legs look amazing!!!! Mine aren't that cut up...they just seem thicker than I'd like them...but lately I've been looking at Pro's legs and mine seem to be where they should be if i'm looking to go pro.

nutratroy
07-20-2009, 11:10 PM
I competed in my first figure comp in may and won...and am currently in the off season. I have very muscular legs, and although got many compliments at my show on my lower half, I'm afraid that they are almost too big. I was a cross country runner and sprinter in HS so have always had strong muscular legs. What cardio do you think would be best to trim them and just maintain their size. I'm afraid they are getting larger and overpowering. I am doing an hour of cardio a day and switch it up every day. One day i will put the treadmill at a 5.5 incline and run at level 6 speed, i walk at a 15 incline at level 3.5, i do the stepper at level 10 and eliptical at level 7. I don't usually bike because i don't feel it burns enough calories. I aim to burn 1000 cals per hour. I don't lift heavy on leg day, and just do low weight high rep...but still my legs are bigger than most of the men in the gym lol. I know alot of it is genetics...i have big legs...but any tips on how to maintain and trim? Any advice would greatly be appreciated : )

I seen your pictures. You look great. If this is indeed the case, take the "Gina Aliotti" approach. Since you both have the same dilemma, bring up ALL weak body parts till they match your amazing legs. Don't do nothing for your legs other then some light workouts here or until you have reached that point in your figure career to start training legs hardcore again.

Of course cardio is a must for stored body fat during any prep, but it is what it is. Work around the problem & focus on becoming "the total figure package".

My wife is an IFBB figure Pro and has to always bring her legs up while trimming down her abs,arms & delts, go figure?

Good Luck. What is your next show? Nice Christine Marsh suit Btw;)

Lilr24
07-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Thank you, isn't it gorgeous!!! The person who helped me with my diet for my first show is a pro, and she let me borrow it...amazing huh?! But thank you, i get alot of compliements on my legs...but obviously, we are our own worst critiques. I think they just look like tree trunks...lol, but when it comes time for the show, they trim up nicely i suppose. I haven't been doing legs, but running more. I'm gonna do some lunges and nonweighted squats tho...maybe some straightleg dl's too. I need to gain width in my back and rounden my delts, then i think everything will come together better. I'm planning on doing the Ft. Lauderdale show in november. So wish me good luck : ) i'm gonna need it!!!!