PDA

View Full Version : from parts unknown...

robert da strongman
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
introduce yourself.
if you want you can use your real name, where you are from, etc....

how did you get into the sport? best lifts?

robert da strongman
02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
my name and my sport are above my avi....

from florida by way of indiana and illinois.
grew up outside of chicago....

got my first weight set at the age of 10. so that means i have been lifting 27 years.
first real gym i went to was Quads...i got to meet Ed Coan there and watch him train.
didnt start competing in strongman till my early 30's....i have promoted 2 comps and coached special olympic powerlifters.

my goal this year is to get a LW pro card.

greuceanu
02-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Been lifting for 16 years in a gym.

I was very sickly and skinny to begin with.
Started doing bodyweight exercises as a kid to help with my martial arts training. Discovered i loved the feeling of working out, later joined a gym.

I've always been a powerbodybuilder hybrid,were i come from physical strength was as appreciated as muscular size or more.Initially i wanted to compete in bodybuilding, but by the time i was 20-21 i stopped liking much today's physiques so i decided to focus on lifting heavier weights.

Now I view this as a mental/spiritual challenge, that's what drives me to improve.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo:

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww31/greuceanuro/?action=view&current=l.jpg

Bigzigga
02-19-2009, 06:05 AM
I started powerlifting in high school. I Competed at the USAPL Teen Nationals in 2004 at 17 I had some decent lifts. I don't remember my lifts at that meet which was my last (damn college tuition) but I know that my openers were 500-365-535(kilo conversion weights). I do know that I only hit my opener on squat and that my last attempt on DL was in the 575 range (higher kilo lift) 575 was the national record at the time. Since this meet I play football at a D2 school for a year and have been training off and on through college. Once graduation comes though it is going to be on!
I love lifting heavy weights. At 17 I hit a 415 bench 615 DL and a 535 squat (very tall, not a great squatter) at this point those are my best lifts because of school and working two jobs.
I have started back on my come back trail and am looking at competing in May or June depending on progress!

robert da strongman
02-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Ed5xjYRkRHs

greuceanu
02-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Did you make your own contraption? Are you neighbours cool with you training on the street or they think you're a bit nuts?

robert da strongman
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
its my friends house. the yokei s homemade.

yes the neighbors think we are insane

greuceanu
02-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Lol.

Viking
02-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Åh Hej! Mitt namn är Terry och har deltagit med strongman utbildning under de två senaste åren och har lyft sedan jag var 12. Jag är mestadels svenska härkomst så jag naturligtvis am dras till vikingar och Norse mythology.

Jag har tävlat i Styrkelyft i gymnasiet, men inte sedan dess. Jag älskar de tre stora makt sport bodybuilding, strongman och Styrkelyft. Tja allt som handlar om att flytta stora järn.

Oh Hello! My name is Terry and have been involved with strongman training for the last two years and have been lifting since I was 12. I am of mostly Swedish descent so I naturally am drawn to Vikings and Norse mythology.
I have competed in powerlifting in high school, but not since then. I love the big three power sports bodybuilding, strongman and powerlifting. Well anything that involves moving huge iron.

tjoe
02-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Didn't realize I didn't respond to this one yet...

Joe
currently 31
new dad... he's 4 months tomorrow :D
persoanl trainer for... a long time... in a small town

Kinda fell into Strongman by accident. I went to have some stereo equipment installed in my car and the closest gym happen to have logs, stones etc. Thats how it all started. Only did 1 show so far which was kinda BS (long story) but (as you may know) I am preparing for another one in May.

I always liked training heavy on the BIG 3 anyway but strongman is a different animal. On the big 3, I took my time, set up, went for perfect execution etc. With strongman however, you just have to get angry at it! Don't get me wrong, form is important but I find it takes MUCH more aggression than PL.

Cool things I've seen in person:
Ronnie win the '03 Olympia (AWESOME)
Beau Moore squat around a grand at the last GNC Show of Strength
Vincent Dizzenzo bench 800 at my first bench meet (APA)
Poundstone beat Mariusz at the Mohegan Sun Super Series
Poundstone Axle Clean and 3 presses with 400
Talking to Poundstone on the phone

I have no expectations of becoming a pro at 31 years old, but I try to do better every time out. Still love training heavy in one form or another. Never touched AAS but would like to if it weren't for the cash and legality of it. I think it's safer than cigarettes and alchohol which you can get at every corner.

That's me I guess...
oh yeah, I'm a kick ass FL on RXMuscle.com :p

robert da strongman
02-26-2009, 03:58 PM
thanks for sharing!!

hope one day we can compete against each other!

tjoe
02-26-2009, 04:02 PM
thanks for sharing!!

hope one day we can compete against each other!at NATIONALS!!??

robert da strongman
02-26-2009, 04:10 PM
at NATIONALS!!??

hmmm maybe!!

Thad
02-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Thad
33 years old from Lancaster, Ohio. I train with Steve Slater and have been training strongman for about a year now.

We are doing a contest on April 18th in WV. This will be my first one and I'll be in the 231 class. Then Steve is putting on a contest May and I'll probably do that one too.

robert da strongman
02-27-2009, 08:23 PM
that one in may looks good!

good luck

Thad
02-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks

crashcrew56
04-07-2009, 08:17 PM
My name is Mike, I'm from right outside Chicago, and I've been training in powerlifting for about 3 weeks now, I'm going to do my first competition June 27th at APF's Summerbash.

I've been lifting for about 9 years now, I started weightlifting for football and I just got hooked. I decided to start powerlifting recently when I went to watch a friend lift at the APF Illinois State Championship. I'm not sure what my goals are right now, I wanna compete and kinda see where I can go

robert da strongman
04-07-2009, 08:23 PM
hows that snow?

head south to quads in cal city...

crashcrew56
04-07-2009, 08:39 PM
the snow sucked, its almost all melted now thank God

robert da strongman
04-07-2009, 08:42 PM
i laughed when i heard the sox game was snowed out.

crashcrew56
04-07-2009, 08:49 PM
I was sooo pissed when it was snowing, 7 days before that I was poolside in North Carolina

robert da strongman
04-07-2009, 08:59 PM
the reason i moved. my training partner is competing there next week...hope it doesnt snow then.

Big Sky Guy
04-22-2009, 02:44 PM
From MT

Always involved in sports...baseball, track and football being my favs.

Started lifting in 8th grade as a class in school. Made significant improvements in strength and speed and found more playing time in football = hooked. Typical Endo with lots of fast-twitch fiber, so was one of the faster kids in my state.

Lifted through HS and then had our first child and started college = lifting was on hold for several years. I framed houses and did concrete work in the summers, but then became a fat college student each winter :)

12 years ago I realized that it was near impossible to get on the floor with my kiddos and play without getting winded...5 ft 8 and 225 lbs of fat. Must have been 30+ % at the time. We were living in a town of 2,500 at the time and were lucky that there was a small gym, so I joined up and started playing racket ball, lifting and hitting the treadmill. Most days I was the only person in the place and the owner just gave me a key and told me to come and go as I pleased and to lock up when I left...lol...small towns!

Started taking it a bit more serious over the next couple years and lifted more for asthetics over the past 10 years and in the past year started looking at it more from a PL standpoint and improved our diet and put on some good mass and strength this year. Squat and Dead are up over 75 pounds and Bench is up 60 at the same weight as last year and a couple % less BF. Ya gotta love a year like that!

robert da strongman
04-22-2009, 02:58 PM
welcome!

mikemoore
05-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Hey guys,

My name is Mike Moore, I am a powerlifter from Hartsdale,NY. I train in Yonkers with my powerlifting team, the YPC.

I used to be an equipped lifter and used to train with Shawna Mendelson. During my training with her and her husband, I hit an equipped 617 bench. I have since became a raw lifter. My competition best are 680/465/610 - 1755 total. For 2009 I am ranked 10th in the 275lb class according to PLWatch.com.

robert da strongman
05-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Hey guys,

My name is Mike Moore, I am a powerlifter from Hartsdale,NY. I train in Yonkers with my powerlifting team, the YPC.

I used to be an equipped lifter and used to train with Shawna Mendelson. During my training with her and her husband, I hit an equipped 617 bench. I have since became a raw lifter. My competition best are 680/465/610 - 1755 total. For 2009 I am ranked 10th in the 275lb class according to PLWatch.com.

welcome Mike!

mikemoore
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
welcome Mike!

Thanks man!!

Squid
08-07-2009, 11:16 AM
My names Liam Heeney, I am 15 years of age 16 this month, I am currently training in powerlifting, looking to reach elite one day, my best lifts stand at 120kg squat, 100kg deadlift, 55kg bench

BrotherIron
08-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I trained for bodybuilding over a decade but in the last few years I switched to training solely as a strength athlete thanks to SS. When we found Coffee's over a year ago I switched totally and never looked back.

I got to witness firsthand what true strength is while training at Coffee's and going to Oly Meets.

My best lifts are a 285kg Conventional Dead for a double, 585lbs Squat for a triple, and bench (I have no idea since I don't even train hard for it anymore but work with 315lbs for reps). I know my Squat is less than impressive but I have both knees totally replaced and therefore don't push myself as hard as I probably should when it comes to training legs.

My main focus is strength through the methodologies of Strongman, Powerlifting, and Olympic Weightlifting. I developed a Hybrid approach which I find fun, exciting, challenging, and rewarding.

7_Deadly_Sins
09-17-2009, 10:29 PM
My name is John..I'm engaged to a wonderful girl named Samantha..I'm a full time student, with the ultimate goal of being Dentist.
I'm 20..21 in April.
I will be training for 3 years in April..seriously I've been training for....about 2 and half years in April.
I was originally training for BBing..but most of the time I was training for strength.
I plan to do my first PLing comp next year around this time..I'm aiming for maybe 1300+ at around a BW of 180 or less.
My current best lifts are..Front Squat 305x5..Decline 255x3..flat bench 225x6(my worst lift) and DL..I've gotten 370x5 /w decent form..I feel like I can get more, but I had to reset to work on my form.
Forgot to add...I'm 175 now..about 11% BF.

juggernaut
09-17-2009, 10:56 PM
I think I officially hung up my posing trunks last week when I walked with my first yoke and LOVED it.
My name is Chris, from NJ-by the shore. I was always into lifting, got into bbing a few years back and enjoyed the hell out of it. Made several good friends and a partnership with my trainer (Joe Franco!) and on another site (Built from IM). I also opened a very successful gym.
I knew that I wanted to to do strongman, but up until recently, TJoe talked me into actually doing it. I'm considered a light heavy at 6'1", 225 and thats hilarious to me in natty bber terms. Right now, I am prepping for my first contest on October 17 to get my feet wet.

Bramlok
01-15-2010, 02:45 PM
My name is John. I'm 42 and live in St. Louis. I've been weight training since the age of 16. I've done a couple BB shows when I was in my 20's. I've always tried to train heavy but geared more towards BB.

I've just started PL training about 2 months ago focusing on the squat, DL and bench.

I have a nephew who told me about his high school football team holding a PL fund raising contest for students and family members to enter, which takes place at the end of the school year. The proceeds will go towards new equipment for the P.E. department. Having never done any sort of PL contest this is pretty low pressure and will help ease me into the sport.....though i am taking it very seriously.:)

tjoe
01-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Bramlok - Welcome and Awesome way to get into the sport! Very cool. I hope they raise some decent cash. I tried to teach an "after school" weight training program at our local high school and most of the time I would have 2-3 people show up and NONE of them consistently... kinda bummed me out a couple of em had some potential.