PDA

View Full Version : Wraps, Straps And Singlets

Squid
07-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Websites for Buying and Reference

http://www.ProWristStraps.com - Sells Various Supports
http:// (http://www.prowriststraps.com/)www.InzerNet.com (http://www.InzerNet.com) - Sells Various Supports
http:// (http://www.prowriststraps.com/)www.Elitefts.com (http://www.Elitefts.com) - Sells Various Supports
http://www.ironmind.com - Sells Various Supports
http://www.schiek.com - Sells Various Supports

For Grip

Chalk - Comes in powder, block and liquid forms available on most bodybuilding websites at a relatively cheap price
Tacky - A sap like substance for stonelifting applied to forearms for extra grip
Straps - Thick material strips roughly 2" wide lassoed around the users wrist using the loose end to wrap around the Barbell causing the forearms to become exhausted more slowly

Knee Wraps and Supports

A thick material 2" wide ranging from 2m - 3m long with or without Velcro wrapped around the knee in various fashions to provide compression and support for the knee while increasing the weight the user can lift sold by all referred sites and one piece bits of neoprene or other materials used to do the same as the wraps

Tutorial on knee wrapping:

YouTube - APT Knee Wrap Tutorial Technique

Wrist Wraps

A stretchy heavyweight material 3"-4" wide, at around 1-2cm thick, wrapped around the wrist to provide support and relieve stress on the wrist joint while benching

Elbow Braces and Wraps

One pieces of material or wraps designed to protect the joints and support the elbows during a bench press or other press exercises

Belts

Belts come in Neoprene and Leather forms, Neoprene belts are often secured via prong clips like that on rucksacks or via velcrow and Leather belts are often secured via a singular or double prong belts compressed the abdominal muscles and lower back muscles to relieve strain and reducing chance of pulling a back or abdominal muscle.

NOTE: they should not be worn over an extended period of time because they cause the abdominal and back muscles to relax which can be greatly problematic

Singlets

Singlets are required by most powerlifting federations for lifting they are worn over underwear, a shirt and if competing 'Equipped' over a Bench Shirt, Singlets are made from a blend of Polyester, Spandex and Cotton, There are two variants a Suit and Singlet both look similar in design but, a suit is made very tight to support the lifter and protect from injury the singlet however is often much looser and comfortable to wear

Bench Shirts

Bench Shirts are strong forward sleeved shirts designed to support and increase the weight lifted by the person benching they are always worn with a singlet and not a suit, and usually under the singlet

Rehband

Rehband is a brand of knee, shin and elbow braces and other products designed with physicians and doctors for strongman events and training and any other athlete

Resistance Bands

Resistance band are designed to help the lifter accelerate the bar as fast as possible and for 'speed' lifting, they come in resistances of upto 200lbs

Chains

Chains similarly to Bands are used to help with the 'positive' portion of the movement, they way they work is when a lifter finishes the negative of say a bench all the chain is touching the floor and is not felt by the lifter as the lifter presses the barbell it adds weight as it goes up helping with to quote Louie Simmons on chains

Training with chains in this manner accomplishes three things. 1) We have maintained our original weight in order to use the correct percentage for explosive training. 2) We have overloaded the top portion of the lift, which normally does not receive sufficient work because of increased body leverage at this position. 3) A neurological response to build explosive strength is developed. This training will train you to drive to the top because you cannot slack off at the top phase as you used to.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCfruLGBv-0)

BrotherIron
07-16-2009, 12:11 AM
What about bands? I'm thinking of incorporating bands into my routine in the near future.

Sistersteel
07-16-2009, 03:18 AM
There is some missing info under Rehbands and bench shirts. Plus there appears to be something missing under knee wraps and supports. Can we fix that and make this a sticky?

Squid
07-16-2009, 04:49 AM
yes i'll send you the missing info it's just i was writing it at 2 am and decided to go to bed

Squid
07-16-2009, 07:00 AM
I'll write what i know about chains and band but my knowledge is limited to what I have read

Sistersteel
07-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Sticky!

BrotherIron
07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
I'll write what i know about chains and band but my knowledge is limited to what I have read

I appreciate it. I want to start introducing these into my routine soon.

If anyone has any exp on how to best use them and their exp with using them, please chime in.

crashcrew56
07-16-2009, 08:11 PM
I appreciate it. I want to start introducing these into my routine soon.

If anyone has any exp on how to best use them and their exp with using them, please chime in.

I do have some experience with them, not much though since I am fairly new to powerliftings. Chains and bands are great for speed work and to help strengthen different points of the lift. They are also really good to help with stabilzation (trying to bench with just a lifting band on the bar is not an easy task if you don't stay tight).

Chains are great for adding resistance to the top of a lifts, it you are doing this you want to set up the chains so at the bottom of the movement all the chains are resting on the ground

Bands can be used in a few different ways, you can use they create more resitance on the lift, or they can be used in a reverse band technique where they are put at the top of the rack, so the bottom of your squat, deadlift, or bench is easier at the bottom and heavier at the lockout. From what I understand it helps you to handle heavier weight. Usually with revers bands you would want to be using approx. between 105-120%(sometimes even more) of your 1rm for this, it all depends on what kind of bands you are using

I hope this helps, I'm not really too knowledgable, this is just coming from the experiences I've had in the gym with them, I'll put up a video showing reverse band bench

crashcrew56
07-16-2009, 08:20 PM
GuBO-d5th_8

4Uou8dEXCuo

BrotherIron
07-16-2009, 08:53 PM
I do have some experience with them, not much though since I am fairly new to powerliftings. Chains and bands are great for speed work and to help strengthen different points of the lift. They are also really good to help with stabilzation (trying to bench with just a lifting band on the bar is not an easy task if you don't stay tight).

Chains are great for adding resistance to the top of a lifts, it you are doing this you want to set up the chains so at the bottom of the movement all the chains are resting on the ground

Bands can be used in a few different ways, you can use they create more resitance on the lift, or they can be used in a reverse band technique where they are put at the top of the rack, so the bottom of your squat, deadlift, or bench is easier at the bottom and heavier at the lockout. From what I understand it helps you to handle heavier weight. Usually with revers bands you would want to be using approx. between 105-120%(sometimes even more) of your 1rm for this, it all depends on what kind of bands you are using

I hope this helps, I'm not really too knowledgable, this is just coming from the experiences I've had in the gym with them, I'll put up a video showing reverse band bench

Thanks I am thinking of using chains to work on the first pull or the initial lift and the bands to work on the second pull of the lift.

That is def helpful. I think bands may even work for my Clean to help alot with the second pull but I could just be getting a lil crazy, lol.

BK
07-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks I am thinking of using chains to work on the first pull or the initial lift and the bands to work on the second pull of the lift.

That is def helpful. I think bands may even work for my Clean to help alot with the second pull but I could just be getting a lil crazy, lol.
I would use the bands before the chains when working your pull. The chains are a bit unstable and won't really transfer into what you are wanting to accomplish. The bands, however, will provide a constant tension, w/o the instability of the chains. Before Travis Mash retired, he was performing cleans and snatches with minibands attached to the bar. Save the chains for squats and bench, especailly when it comes to Oly. lifitng. Experiment with the reverse band liting when doing heavy pulls. It will really help your accleration off the ground. Use the blue bands.

crashcrew56
07-17-2009, 12:02 AM
I would use the bands before the chains when working your pull. The chains are a bit unstable and won't really transfer into what you are wanting to accomplish. The bands, however, will provide a constant tension, w/o the instability of the chains. Before Travis Mash retired, he was performing cleans and snatches with minibands attached to the bar. Save the chains for squats and bench, especailly when it comes to Oly. lifitng. Experiment with the reverse band liting when doing heavy pulls. It will really help your accleration off the ground. Use the blue bands.

I would agree with that, I've used chains before when pulling and it does make things a little more difficult, the chains can get in the way. I really like reverse band deads, you'd be suprised how heavy you can go as long as you can keep you grip, they are great for lockouts. I used green bands for mine though

Squid
07-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Going to add to it what are considered the best in each catagory I would love some pm's or even to make a poll about the best available

crashcrew56
07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Best bench shirts:
Inzer Rage X
Overkill (there's a local guy that makes them, they are awesome shirts though)
Metal Ace

Briefs
2 ply Titan Boss
Frantz
Metal Ace

Knee Wraps
TP-5000
ATP Strangulators
ATP Convict Pros

Squat Suits:
Frantz Canvas suit
Metal Viking Pro Squater
Overkill (Canvas Poly mix)

Between the meets I've been to, guys on my team, and gear I've personally worn this is what seems to be the best out there. I know I'm missing some, but here's what I have so far

BrotherIron
07-17-2009, 12:51 PM

Yeah that was what I was going to do, use bands for my cleans. I think it may really help me with my second pull.

BrotherIron
07-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm using chains on my deads and have noticed an immeadiate difference in my pull. If work through my sets and pull with the chain and than perform a lift without them there is an immeadiate change in time (for the better, I accelerate much faster than I did in the past).

I'm intrigued to see how well this will carryover to other lifts and how noticeable the difference be in the long term in terms of progress.

crashcrew56
11-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I just recently got a pair of Overkill briefs, and they are the real deal. They are a HUGE upgrade from the Frantz briefs I had, there are also several other guys on my team with those briefs and they all agree that they are the best briefs they have used.