PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Lashley signs with TNA

~gymdiva~
07-17-2009, 02:01 AM
and look at who reported it!

ESPN.com is reporting that former WWE star Bobby Lashley has officially signed with TNA Wrestling. In addition to stating that he will be continuing his MMA career, Lashley also said that he would be at this Sunday's "Victory Road" PPV.

(credit: wrestlezone)

Mr. Dead
07-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Hmmm... Kind of surprised by that...

Gaoshang Xiongshou
07-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Suddenly, I am feeling even better about watching TNA.

Ninja Loco
07-17-2009, 01:27 PM
A kingdom divided cannot stand.

Not a good move if he wants to keep his MMA career going AND his ultimate goal is the UFC. He has stated repeatedly that UFC is his goal but ONLY when he was ready and has the talent to be a big name there. Splitting training and time is not good i dont care what shape he is in.

Thoughts, GX?

ANADROLicfreak
07-17-2009, 01:30 PM
i say go where the money is.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
07-17-2009, 02:01 PM

Not a good move if he wants to keep his MMA career going AND his ultimate goal is the UFC. He has stated repeatedly that UFC is his goal but ONLY when he was ready and has the talent to be a big name there. Splitting training and time is not good i dont care what shape he is in.

Thoughts, GX?

Well, if the goal is ultimately the UFC, he should stay on that path. As it is, the whole pro wrestling past may work against him at some point, as it keeps being mentioned when speaking of Lesnar. I think a return to pro wrestling IF he was looking to make his mark in UFC would be terrible.

But for all we know, he had a recent epiphany, and decided that wrestling was better for him.

~gymdiva~
07-17-2009, 02:18 PM
I think it may very well be a money thing...maybe create a little cushioning in the bank account so when your contract is up you can continue the course and not look back...or maybe some of his training isn't progressing as he'd hoped and he thought hey, I know I'm good at the wrestling, why not go back to it while I hone my skills...

or he could be badass enough to be able to do both! :D

fatbackgoal
07-17-2009, 05:45 PM
I see it as TNA is based in Las Vegas where the UFC training center and Extreme Couture just happen to be based. Why not kill two birds with one stone. He can wrestle on the show, train MMA daily then roll out for the PPV.

Mr. Dead
07-17-2009, 06:42 PM
I do think he'd be a great addition to the brand... Just kind of surprised, is all...

Ninja Loco
07-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, if the goal is ultimately the UFC, he should stay on that path. As it is, the whole pro wrestling past may work against him at some point, as it keeps being mentioned when speaking of Lesnar. I think a return to pro wrestling IF he was looking to make his mark in UFC would be terrible.

But for all we know, he had a recent epiphany, and decided that wrestling was better for him.

I think it may very well be a money thing...maybe create a little cushioning in the bank account so when your contract is up you can continue the course and not look back...or maybe some of his training isn't progressing as he'd hoped and he thought hey, I know I'm good at the wrestling, why not go back to it while I hone my skills...

or he could be badass enough to be able to do both! :D
From a non competitive standpoint all are solid reasonings.

GX, as a former (or still current) teacher who has led at least one student to a sanctioned win, Im sure you would agree that the training is such that it cannot take a back seat to anything. The focus should be intense and non wavering. "Practical" reasons aside, that's why I think that IF UFC is still his ultimate goal.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
07-18-2009, 04:31 PM
From a non competitive standpoint all are solid reasonings.

GX, as a former (or still current) teacher who has led at least one student to a sanctioned win, Im sure you would agree that the training is such that it cannot take a back seat to anything. The focus should be intense and non wavering. "Practical" reasons aside, that's why I think that IF UFC is still his ultimate goal.

Provided that his focus is still on competitive MMA fighting, then it must not be neglected at all, unless he is able to seperate himself reality from fiction without a thought in the wrestling ring. He should stay to one path, if that is the case. Seriously, I have run across people who can get into a non-serious situation, and forget that they are supposed to be pulling punches. Lashley is no small guy; I would hate to see him hurt someone if that was not his intent. And the last thing anyone who is a serious fighter wants to do is train to pull punches and withdraw on techniques. I am a firm believer that you fight in the same manner in which you train. Perhaps going back and forth between the two may work for him... it did for me. But if it does not, he could find himself in a world of hurt if his pro-wrestling mindset and execution mix with his MMA endeavors.

Has there been any word yet on if he has given up on MMA or not? If so, his MMA training will work greatly in his favor, and if he can seperate himself from actual fighting, he will put on a great show.

matt1005
07-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Thoughts, GX?
I agree with you. I thought he was dead set on staying in MMA. I would like to know the terms to the deal he made.

Ninja Loco
07-18-2009, 08:12 PM
The terms of the deal had to have been through the roof. He left WWE, for christs sake, THE highest paying and most lucrative promotion to persue MMA.

Personaly, I dont think its about money, I think they relented to, or he thinks there is more of a chance for both wit TNA because they dont travel like WWE does. He's an athlete, so Im sure his body can pull it off. But mentaly...........

No word that i know of, GX.

~gymdiva~
07-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Has there been any word yet on if he has given up on MMA or not? If so, his MMA training will work greatly in his favor, and if he can seperate himself from actual fighting, he will put on a great show.

actually the very first post states that he plans to still pursue MMA...

one thought that I did have about TNA though is that their schedule is nothing compared to WWE...they don't have much of a travel schedule at all...unlike WWE where you may be on the road 3-4 days out of the week...TNA typically tapes I think maybe two days tops out of the week and sometimes tours to other cities...this can make a huge difference b/w working for one organization versus the other...

and hey who knows, maybe he didn't want to leave wrestling but rather the company :confused:

Gaoshang Xiongshou
07-18-2009, 08:20 PM
The terms of the deal had to have been through the roof. He left WWE, for christs sake, THE highest paying and most lucrative promotion to persue MMA.

Personaly, I dont think its about money, I think they relented to, or he thinks there is more of a chance for both wit TNA because they dont travel like WWE does. He's an athlete, so Im sure his body can pull it off. But mentaly...........

No word that i know of, GX.

Time will tell. But I do think it is risky to do both also because you can easily get hurt in wrestling, and even a minor injury can lead to a greater one under the right circumstances, and vice versa. I do not think the powers that be in either promotion would like to see him slowed down because of something that happened on the other side.

~gymdiva~
07-18-2009, 08:20 PM
oh geez and I just realized I basically retyped what ninja wrote...my bad! :o

Gaoshang Xiongshou
07-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Well whatever his decision, best of luck to him. I have always been a fan. I remember that first night he came out on WWE. I actually went and got my wife and brought her back in to see him. It was damn amazing.

She still said that she thought Batista looked better.

Ninja Loco
07-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes, but you know you did it sexier.... :D