PDA

View Full Version : Partial Tear of the Tricep

Canuck_Muscle
07-17-2009, 02:57 AM
I was in the gym 4 days ago doing the 5x5 program and I dipped under the 5 rep mark on my first exercise which was flat bench as I was doing chest that day. Well I did 275 for a triple and that was fine. I got through the whole workout great but then later that night it happened. I was having sex with my woman and my right arm starting giving me sharp pain coming from the tricep. It literally starting contracting involuntarily and I stopped what I was doing immediately to check it out in the washroom. It looked like the left part of the tricep was knotting up and wanting to snap up into my shoulder. It was fucked up. I was wondering if anyone else has had the displeasure of this happening and what would be the best course of action from here? I am thinking of taking the next 3 to 4 weeks off and hoping that it will heal up. I checked my arm the following morning and the tricep still looked attached at the elbow which was a good sign. It has been 4 days now and there has been no bruising or any major swelling. So I hope it was just an overexertion but I have not flexed my tricep in 4 days because what I feel in my arm right now kinda scares me.b So I am thinking that I may have partial tear in there somewhere close to the connecting point of my tricep and elbow.

BIGLOUIE
07-17-2009, 05:36 AM
what part of the tricep was this on? the long head (back of the arm)? if there is no visible change in the shape of the muscle you may have just over exerted your self. it may have just been a major cramp.
i have had a very similar thing happen to my bicep, there was no swelling or brusing or any change it way the muscle looked. i think it was a partial tear. it was fine in about 14 days.

Canuck_Muscle
07-17-2009, 06:55 AM
It was the short head Louie. The front of the tricep. On my right arm. If that is all yours was then I may be in luck. I am just wondering how bad I tore it. I will know in the next few weeks in how it heals and how I feel when I start easing into training it again. This much I do know, whatever the outcome I am never dipping below 8 reps again as long as I train. Fuck ever going through this again.

Knuckles
07-17-2009, 07:36 AM
If it isn't a rupture, then you may have simply strained the muscle. This means rest, ice as needed, and no specific tricep training, or presses, for a few weeks depending on what grade strain it would be. I would recommend you go to your physician and get a script for PT to help speed it along with modalities. That may also put your mind at ease about possibly rupturing something. Good luck bud. Did you warm up before you jumped into your working sets?

Canuck_Muscle
07-17-2009, 11:02 AM
If it isn't a rupture, then you may have simply strained the muscle. This means rest, ice as needed, and no specific tricep training, or presses, for a few weeks depending on what grade strain it would be. I would recommend you go to your physician and get a script for PT to help speed it along with modalities. That may also put your mind at ease about possibly rupturing something. Good luck bud. Did you warm up before you jumped into your working sets?

Thx for the input Knuckles. Yeah that is the thing that pissed me off so bad is that I had warmed up a lot. I started with 135 for 20 reps then onto 185 for 15, 225 for 12, 265 for 5 and did 275 for 3 on my final set for flat.

redline777
07-23-2009, 09:30 AM
ask Irina veselova to ask Dorian yates for ya. Dorian tore his triceps which pretty much ended his career, he would be the perfect guy to seek advice on...