PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with constipation?

Jacquester
07-17-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm open to the idea that my observations are wrong but here's the question. Why is it that it seem that every women I've ever met is having a constant struggle with constipation while men seem to have multiple movements per day? I can remember once in my 37 years that I had constipation my self. Is it the estrogen, something else or is this not a reality?

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Mine gets really bad the week before a show when I start taking showtime. I have no idea why that is. Other than that, I go pretty much 2 x per day 3 x during that time of the month.

Tami Bellon
07-26-2009, 02:50 AM
It's lack of fiber. Eat your broccoli, cauliflower and greens and you'll be fine.

Low/no carb diets will get you all twisted up if a fiber sup isn't used. :p

tammyp
07-26-2009, 11:16 AM
konsyl fiber is a wonderful thing. i put it in my oats after cooking and never have issues. plus i eat so many veggies ...i bet i get 30 - 40 g daily

Carolyn Bryant
07-26-2009, 12:50 PM
It's much deeper than a lack of fiber for some people. Changes in bowel fluora, hormone changes, stress, spastic colon, severe dehydration, fatty deposits, liver problems that hinder bile excretion, just to name a few.

Tatyana
07-26-2009, 01:18 PM
I have never had constipation.

I poop like a rock star.

Tami Bellon
07-26-2009, 04:48 PM
konsyl fiber is a wonderful thing. i put it in my oats after cooking and never have issues. plus i eat so many veggies ...i bet i get 30 - 40 g daily

This is the one we use too.

Tami Bellon
07-26-2009, 04:55 PM
It's much deeper than a lack of fiber for some people. Changes in bowel fluora, hormone changes, stress, spastic colon, severe dehydration, fatty deposits, liver problems that hinder bile excretion, just to name a few.

I believe it was a generalized question, however, I can attest to what you are saying.

I started having "bowl spasms" when I was 14. I was in school and had to go to the ER; they thought it was appendicitis. I've always had problems with it - IF - I do not eat my fibrous veggies or have a fiber sup. They make me break into cold sweats and I get very weak. I feel like I'm going to pass out from the pain. I usually have to find a cold floor, get on my elbows and knees with my head down and just breathe through them. Kinda feels like labor - lasts about 15 minutes. It sucks.

tmi?.....probably.....sorry.....

tammyp
07-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I have never had constipation.

I poop like a rock star.

:Dtooo funny!

DCtraininggirl
07-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm on a very low carb diet, so I avoid constipation by eating lots of leafy greens, green beans and other nutrient-dense low carb veggies. It's really the best way to stay regular. Nuts have a decent amount of fiber as well.

triceptor
07-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Magnesium citrate ~ 500Mgs a day... you can all poop like rock stars (Sorry Tatyana). Best taken at bed time.....

figurebre
07-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Coffee will get things moving...

triceptor
07-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Coffee will get things moving...

especially a coffee bean enema....

Tami Bellon
07-27-2009, 10:56 PM
especially a coffee bean enema....

Oh MY! :eek: lol

KBigz81
07-27-2009, 11:14 PM
I have IBS w/constipation. High amounts of caffeine, spicy and high fats food do not agree w/me. THere have been times where I didn't go for 3-4 days. It makes you feel so gross too, and sometimes hurts my self esteem. And too much green veggies can make my colon go crazy or it causes my bowels to cramp up real bad. I was even in a study about 3 years ago for a experimental drug because nothing would work for me. Since then they have put the drug on the market, but it is crazy expensive. Since I found fiberlyze it has worked wonders for me since I use 3 scoops a day sometimes.

Jacquester
07-28-2009, 11:08 AM
does anyone ever use something like activa? or digestive enzymes or acidophilus? While my ass works like a swiss clock, if I use activa or digestive enzymes or a acidophilus supplement it's beyond easy.

KBigz81
07-28-2009, 03:01 PM
I've used probiotics before, other than giving me beyond nasty gas, it did help my IBS symptons. I'm also at high risk of ulcerative colitis because my Mom has it. Taking care of my colon is very important to me.