PDA

View Full Version : glute/ham raise

jeff_hardy
07-17-2009, 07:00 PM
hey guys
I was wondering, how do you guys do the glute/ham raise without the bench? I was thinking about doing it on a seated calf raise facing the other way but the seat is to narrow to support my legs. so I was wondering if anyone have some creative way to do them safe?

thanks guys

Steve_Colescott
08-06-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't think you really can. The seated calf style will probably hurt your knees since the padding will be inadequate.

Most of all it won't do the same thing. The important part of the GHR is that the knees can lower, with your quads rolling around the circumference of the pad, so that they is a coordinated contraction of the hams and other posterior chain muscles (they all work together).

It truly is the best quad exercise on the planet. you may have to hunt for a gym with one.

Mr. Hyde
08-07-2009, 01:09 AM
YouTube - Glut_ham_raise_bodyweight_plus_45lbs

Jude2
08-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Great exercise.

Outcast
08-15-2009, 01:02 AM
YouTube - Glut_ham_raise_bodyweight_plus_45lbs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXTXw-qrqU)

Great video. I've seen something very similar done with a squat rack and very low set bar where the person's knees were on the floor (Actually on a pad). The person faced away from the bar and put their heels under it. It was weighted to offset their body weight and movement. I'm thinking of trying it myself for something different.

HammerStrength12
08-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Doing them on the lat pulldown machine is a B****!! Way harder than on the GH bench.

Outcast
08-31-2009, 08:44 PM
I tried the on the floor method that I previously discribed and really liked it. I'll be throwing those into my leg days from time to time.