PDA

View Full Version : Tanning Lotion & other high priced crap

SallyAnne
02-18-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know about you, but I feel totally ripped off when I have to pay $50 for a bottle of good tanning lotion at the salon.

I just bought 12 bottles of the good stuff plus 50 sample packets on Ebay for $60. I'm feeling pretty thrifty right now. http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/designerlotion4u

What expensive crap do you find cheaper elsewhere - and where do you find it?

musclegoddess65
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
the bodysouce online use to be a decent place to get tanning lotions too..

Vitaglo.com has some ok prices..

the girls at the tanning salon HATE that I don't buy lotions from them.. yea knock down those markups a bit..

tiramisu
02-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Does tanning lotion actually do anything?

~gymdiva~
02-18-2009, 10:19 PM
hey I've bought from that ebay store before, too! :D

SallyAnne
02-18-2009, 10:20 PM
I was skeptical at first, but I use the tingle stuff and it definitely makes a difference over regular lotion. I tan MUCH faster.

cheddar cheese
02-18-2009, 10:23 PM

I've always wondered that myself.

cheddar cheese
02-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I was skeptical at first, but I use the tingle stuff and it definitely makes a difference over regular lotion. I tan MUCH faster.

What's the brand name? I'm using this stuff called Sheer Wisdom and I really like doesn't irritate my skin but yeah $50 bucks a bottle, never thought of looking on ebay for it, thanks for the tip

musclegoddess65
02-18-2009, 10:49 PM

mmm can't do that tingle stuff....

but being a fair skinned red head, I'd never do the tanning bed without lotion

Jer
02-18-2009, 10:53 PM
My sister spent 100 bucks on a bottle of tanning lotion and it was only like 6 or 8 oz. I thought she was fucking nuts.

I'll tip her off to ebay. ;)

corrie79
02-19-2009, 04:14 AM
www.lotiondeals.com
I get my stuff cheap from them. 12 bucks for the brand I use and it works great.

tight booty
02-19-2009, 06:33 AM
If you want to feel ripped off, then just move to Australia. :( We pay alot more tax here on stuff such as cosmetics and beauty items. You Nars cosmetics are a third of what we pay for here down unda. That is just an example...sigh!

tammyp
02-19-2009, 07:54 AM
when i had tanning at my salon, i hated tosell the 50 and 75$ bottles..i just felt it was such a rip off. i loved the austalian gold line, its way cheaper and just as good as the $$$ bottles. check out sallys beauty supply too.

GirlyMuscle
02-19-2009, 08:13 AM
I never pay full price for tanning lotion. Here in PA the professionals only supply places have it half price if you have a beauty license. So that's what I do.

ReneeK
02-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Lotions2go.com has really good prices!

Sistersteel
02-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Since I started using mt2, I've saved hundreds of dollars on tanning products.
Just a subq pin daily and hop in a bed every now and then and you are golden brown ALL YEAR....appetite suppression too :)

Youngguns
02-20-2009, 01:57 AM
I never pay full price for tanning lotion. Here in PA the professionals only supply places have it half price if you have a beauty license. So that's what I do.
How hot do you have to be to get one?

Tuffgirl410
02-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey a great site I get my lotions at is BestPriceTanning.com The lotions are 50% cheaper than the salons!

Erin
02-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't know about you, but I feel totally ripped off when I have to pay $50 for a bottle of good tanning lotion at the salon.

I just bought 12 bottles of the good stuff plus 50 sample packets on Ebay for $60. I'm feeling pretty thrifty right now. http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/designerlotion4u

What expensive crap do you find cheaper elsewhere - and where do you find it?

I can't believe how expensive nuts are!

Geez. I just buy them at Costco now since its cheaper, but I REALLY like unsalted cashews, which they don't carry... :mad:

SallyAnne
02-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Just a subq pin daily and hop in a bed every now and then and you are golden brown ALL YEAR....appetite suppression too :)

I've used the hell out of that stuff. I can't use it at night, though - it makes my sinuses drain for a few hours like I have an allergy or a cold. Makes for rough sleeping.

Erin
02-24-2009, 09:31 PM

I've been looking into that, as well. Love the idea. Hate my casper white self, but I also hate the idea of damaging my skin by consistant tanning.

musclegoddess65
02-24-2009, 09:34 PM

ok gotta ask what is mt2???

SallyAnne
02-24-2009, 09:35 PM
melanotan II. Peptide. Makes you uber tan fast and gives you girl wood.

musclegoddess65
02-24-2009, 09:39 PM
melanotan II. Peptide. Makes you uber tan fast and gives you girl wood.

gotta love multi faceted items :) more bang for your buck... so to speak..

musclegoddess65
02-24-2009, 09:40 PM
and as a fair skinned red head.... hhhmmm

Suzy Brown
02-25-2009, 02:59 PM
K here's the skinny on lotions & their prices...

Salon cost is 1/2 MSRP. So the bottle that costs you $50 cost the salon $25. Some salons can buy enough to negotiate discounts from their distributors from 25-50% off. So again, the $50 bottle cost the salon min $12.50. That gives them room to discount it to you or for clearance, or "3 free tans w/ purchase" type thing.

The lowest priced bottle in my catalog is about $18. If you don't want to pay for what your salon is offering, ask if you can special order one in your price range.

Taking your online lotion to the salon is like taking snacks to the movie -- its frowned upon, but we all do it. And because we cut into the theater's profit margin by not spending at the snack bar, we don't have the right to complain that they want $12 a ticket. Don't complain about the cost of the tan when you're cutting into their profits.

Now here's the skinny about buying online -- you have no clue what you're getting. It might be the "good stuff" but it also might be old, or a bottle the seller got from the trash & filled with Jergens. You have no clue.

For example that link Sally posted, the Temptation stuff, Greed & Pride, that's been off the market for 4 years. Which means those bottles are probably 5 or more years old!!! So to spend $50 on that type of shiz, that will go right into the trash is a much bigger waste than just buying from the salon to begin with.

Kelly Baker
02-25-2009, 03:04 PM
tan2day.com has been a good resource for me if I don't catch the massive sale at my salon. I use the Designer Skin products since I tend to dry out and get itchy with cheaper lotions.

SonOfPluto
03-12-2009, 03:59 AM

How much do you take? I've had good success with around 1mg a day. Anymore and I end up vomiting, the stuff really makes me nauseous for some reason..

SallyAnne
03-14-2009, 05:51 PM
K here's the skinny on lotions & their prices...

Salon cost is 1/2 MSRP. So the bottle that costs you $50 cost the salon $25. Some salons can buy enough to negotiate discounts from their distributors from 25-50% off. So again, the $50 bottle cost the salon min $12.50. That gives them room to discount it to you or for clearance, or "3 free tans w/ purchase" type thing.

The lowest priced bottle in my catalog is about $18. If you don't want to pay for what your salon is offering, ask if you can special order one in your price range.

Taking your online lotion to the salon is like taking snacks to the movie -- its frowned upon, but we all do it. And because we cut into the theater's profit margin by not spending at the snack bar, we don't have the right to complain that they want $12 a ticket. Don't complain about the cost of the tan when you're cutting into their profits.

Now here's the skinny about buying online -- you have no clue what you're getting. It might be the "good stuff" but it also might be old, or a bottle the seller got from the trash & filled with Jergens. You have no clue.

For example that link Sally posted, the Temptation stuff, Greed & Pride, that's been off the market for 4 years. Which means those bottles are probably 5 or more years old!!! So to spend $50 on that type of shiz, that will go right into the trash is a much bigger waste than just buying from the salon to begin with.

They're not bad. I opened them all and they smell very good and are nice and thick the way I like tanning lotion. When I pay for tanning, I feel no obligation to by lotion from the salon - ever. I have on many occasions, but I don't feel I'm required to simply because I bought a tanning package.

Suzy Brown
03-14-2009, 06:15 PM
O that's good news Sally! I didn't know you actually bought those.

If you look at the back of your cosmetics, there is often a little tub icon with the lid lifted and a number. That number is the shelf life in months.

The bronzing ingredient in tanning lotions is food grade, so the shelf life can be affected by light, heat, exposure to air. If your lotion has a bad scent or changes textures (gets soupy) its time for a new bottle.

Angela123
03-14-2009, 06:50 PM
i managed a tanning salon for a while...yep like susan said...lotion is marked the fucked up! our 105 bottle of CT7 from California Tan cost 30 bucks...maybe less if you buy in major bulk.

cal tan products are not suppossed to be sold anywhere else than a liscensed/ exclusive cal tan salon (we sold cal tan and could not sell any other lotion/product) but they always end up online. our cal tan reps would always say, "well, those clients who say they buy cal tan on the internet, definitly do not have cal tan. we only sell to reputable salons who dont sell on the internet." well...maybe so..but still...that shit ends up online somehow or like susan said...its the bottle but its filled with regular lotion or cheap tanning lotion.

and there are many indoor tanning lotions that claim to be safe for tanning beds, you know, the ones you buy at walmart or target, but those contain mineral oil (many hide the term mineral oil and use other terms) which strip the acrylics of the bed, resulting in the cracking of an acryilic, that easily costs well over 1000 to buy a new one. so that is why some salons may not allow you to use your tanning lotion you get at walmart.

oh and MG, the girls at tanning salons may hate you for not buying lotion from you bc well...most tanning salon employees work on commission, from lotions to upgrade beds to memberships. and its pretty damn good too..my salon was anyway. i made some good ass money for a 20 year old, working at a tanning salon, even b4 i became manager.

and lotion does make you tan faster...damn...idk have my paperwork anymore bc i havent worked there in a few years...but i used to have percentages about how much more your skin tans with a lotion compared to skin with no tanning lotion.