PDA

View Full Version : Help for my Daughter

maximusmac
07-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Not sure if this is the best place for this. My daughter who will be 20 in Sept got something know as a depo-provera shot I guess it stops her Monthly she is concerned about the weight gain from it so I suggested DHEA 25mg to increase testosterone she is worried that it will effect the DEPO is a Progesterone which I sure you all know.

is my suggestion ok or do I need to STFU. any help for her would be very helpful.

Tatyana
07-21-2009, 11:45 AM
For the most part, there is very little evidence that the birth control pill contributes to weight gain.

It is thought that the weight gain associated with women going on the pill is due to being content in a happy relationship, the 'couple bubble', where it is fantastic to sit in for the evening with your beau, eating pizza and watching a great movie.

I would suggest she maintains a regular exercise program and doesn't match her boyfriend in how and how frequently he eats.

All of this is a moot point if she is having the injections for some other medical issue.

LisaRD23
07-21-2009, 11:47 AM
My suggestion to you is to get her off the Deop ASAP!! I was on it for aboyt 7years...no period...and my docotor at the time told me it was normal.

I switched doctors, and had blood test run. My hormones were completely out of control. My hormone levels looked like those of a menopausal woman.

My GYN had to switch me over to a lighter BC just to get some estrogen back into my body, then moved me up to higher dose BC

Finally after 9 years of being on Hormonal BC I decided to get off of them completely. I gained a tremendous amount of weight, my system was completely screwed up.

If she needs to be on BC then have her talk to her doc about a low dose pill, or even a non hormonal copper IUD.

SallyAnne
07-21-2009, 12:46 PM
For the most part, there is very little evidence that the birth control pill contributes to weight gain.

It is thought that the weight gain associated with women going on the pill is due to being content in a happy relationship, the 'couple bubble', where it is fantastic to sit in for the evening with your beau, eating pizza and watching a great movie.

I would suggest she maintains a regular exercise program and doesn't match her boyfriend in how and how frequently he eats.

All of this is a moot point if she is having the injections for some other medical issue.

I agree with Tatyana on this.

I took Depo for a couple of years WAY back - and had no issues with it. Not all women respond the same way, though, as Lisa is showing. The female body is still a bit of a mystery, imo.

GirlyMuscle
07-21-2009, 12:53 PM
I used it. Loved it. For me it was the best thing ever.

Suzanne
07-24-2009, 11:49 AM
My sister used it she had always weighed 100-110 she is 4' 10" she had had 2 kids still weighed that

then depo BOOM she is 140 now and no not from being in a happy content relationship

that shit is bad there are way more people who have probs then those who don't and you won't know til you use it then too late you are fat

Tatyana
07-24-2009, 12:00 PM
My suggestion to you is to get her off the Deop ASAP!! I was on it for aboyt 7years...no period...and my docotor at the time told me it was normal.

I switched doctors, and had blood test run. My hormones were completely out of control. My hormone levels looked like those of a menopausal woman.

My GYN had to switch me over to a lighter BC just to get some estrogen back into my body, then moved me up to higher dose BC

Finally after 9 years of being on Hormonal BC I decided to get off of them completely. I gained a tremendous amount of weight, my system was completely screwed up.

If she needs to be on BC then have her talk to her doc about a low dose pill, or even a non hormonal copper IUD.

IUDs are not recommended for young women who have not had children.

All too often they end up being more like a medieval torture device than a birth control device.

GeminiJedi
07-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Actually most docs will now do Mirena in younger women without children. It'll take a little longer to place, may be more uncomfortable, but it can be done.

triceptor
07-24-2009, 08:05 PM
IUDs are not recommended for young women who have not had children.

All too often they end up being more like a medieval torture device than a birth control device.

Tatyana is right.. (damn don't you get tired of that) think Dow-Con Shield .... they lead to fertility issues later in life...

also at her age I would not just start taking DHEA without baseline blood work. While DHEA tends to increase test levels in women, there is still a reasonable conversion to estrogens as well. Hormones must be taken responsibly.... that is, except by me LOL

Angel
07-24-2009, 08:12 PM

I completely agree.

Now I am not a scientist nor have I researched to support whether or not weight gain is from depo. However I was on depo for 4 years in which I put on the most weight I have ever had (except for my pregnancies). I ended up screwing myself up and having to take replacements after I stopped the depo. My cycle became the opposite (7 days off, 3 weeks on), and I went from a size 7 to a size 1 in a matter of 1.5 month doing 0 exercise. And I am currently on a pill (Yaz). I eat the same as I did back then if not worse and I have not been to a gym in god only knows. However I am still in a size 1-3, so no weight gain from the pill form.

The depo was horrible to me. It broke me down and ruined me (hormonally).

I suggest a low dose pill form. The hormonal iud has the same compounds as depo (from what my gyno told me).

prettymuscles
08-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Not sure if this is the best place for this. My daughter who will be 20 in Sept got something know as a depo-provera shot I guess it stops her Monthly she is concerned about the weight gain from it so I suggested DHEA 25mg to increase testosterone she is worried that it will effect the DEPO is a Progesterone which I sure you all know.

is my suggestion ok or do I need to STFU. any help for her would be very helpful.

I was on Depo provera and it made me crazy i think.. I was very emotional and had my period for 3 full months.. (the oposite what it was supposed to do) So i stopped it after my 3rd shot. When i decided to go back on a B/C I told my doctor i wasn't going to do Depo again but she said its no longer on the market in Canada because it causes Osteoporosis.

Tre
08-02-2009, 03:10 PM

I'd start by grabbing that little fucker she's seeing and asking him why he's sleeping with your teenage daughter.

DCtraininggirl
08-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I'd start by grabbing that little fucker she's seeing and asking him why he's sleeping with your teenage daughter.

LOL Tre...now now, be nice she is over 18 and hopefully Dad taught her to be careful.

On the other hand though, I do not think such a powerful treatment should be used so young. I was on reclipsen for a few months and it really screwed me up. Got my period twice a month and lots of headaches which impaired my production at work. It also made losing fat a little difficult, which is bad for me, as I'm over weight and trying to lose. However, bc works differently for every woman. I went completely off of it, but then again, I am 23 and engaged, so if we did happen to have a kid, it wouldn't be a castastophe, difficult as it may be financially at this point. Another thing I considered s that my significant other has a low sperm count and I have had menstrual irregularity for 10 years, since I got the damn thing. Therefore, our chances are lower anyway.

But for your daughter, whom I am assuming is normal hormonally and sexually active, unless its for medical purposes, I would recommend getting some basic tesing done to see where her hormones are and stick with something low dose but effective so she doesnt get pregnant but it doesnt throw her hormones completely whack either

DCtraininggirl
08-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Oe more thing, reclipsen is actually a pill, not something permanently inserted, it was more for demo purposes of even lighter bc. Reclipsen is also for women who have lower estrogen levels and/or higher test levels. Like I said, I'd do a hormonal test to see where her levels are and then get her on a pill or maybe even a patch accordingly

LisaRD23
08-03-2009, 10:13 AM
My weight gain was after I got off the depo and after I decided to 100% get off any hormonal BC.

My hormones were just crazy for about a full year. I was on for a total of 9yrs so my side effects maybe more extreme because of that, also I got on at a young age, when my hormones were still trying to "establish" themselves.

Personally I am done with any kind of Hormonal BC.

GeminiJedi
08-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Wow... BC Has actually been a LIFE SAVER for me. I had the WORST cramps before going on the pill (low-dose estrogen because I was prone to migraines). These cramps would have me at home in the fetal position with a heating pad all week :( I first tried LoEstrin, but got HORRENDOUSLY moody, so switched to the low-dose Necon, now on Zovia. I have had to switch it up every 3 or 4 years because my body adjusts to it. I gained a little bit of weight when I switched to Zovia, but that came off rather easily. Since I got back into working out, not only has the weight come off, but symptoms are lessened tremendously, as well.

prettymuscles
08-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Wow... BC Has actually been a LIFE SAVER for me. I had the WORST cramps before going on the pill (low-dose estrogen because I was prone to migraines). These cramps would have me at home in the fetal position with a heating pad all week :( I first tried LoEstrin, but got HORRENDOUSLY moody, so switched to the low-dose Necon, now on Zovia. I have had to switch it up every 3 or 4 years because my body adjusts to it. I gained a little bit of weight when I switched to Zovia, but that came off rather easily. Since I got back into working out, not only has the weight come off, but symptoms are lessened tremendously, as well.

When i got off completely I go through the worst cramps EVER it makes me cry. I have noticed not sure if there's any relations but since i've been with Dave's Diet and taking all the recommended vitamins (i'm assuming the primrose oil supplement is actually helping) i'm not planning to go back on the BC ever i've been off for over a year now.

GeminiJedi
08-03-2009, 11:25 AM
That sucks that there are so many bad experiences with BC. There CAN be some tremendous positives from BC use--alleviation of headaches, cramps, acne, moodiness, etc. All sides need to be voiced and discussed.

I think Depo is probably not a good choice, but there are many different options out there, and it's going to take a bit of experimenting before a woman finds what works best for her. The biggest, most important thing is that she communicate with her doctor what is going on. It takes 2-3 months for the body to adjust to a new treatment, but if the sides are intolerable (such as mine were with LoEstrin--which is not uncommon) then by all means switch immdiately. We know our bodies best and the only way our docs know is from what we tell them.