PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Weightlifters

Squid
07-21-2009, 12:06 PM
I was thinking of adding in a day or two, into my split with olympic weightlifting, my only question is what excercises should I do?

BrotherIron
07-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Olympic Weightlifting is something which you need constant instruction to perform the lifts properly and with good technique.

I would suggest if your serious to check in your area and see if there is a Oly Training Gym near you or PM me or SS and we can find out for you.

Oly lifting is a GREAT THING (yes, I may be a bit biased). It will strengthen your core and ALL you lift will increase by leaps and bounds. You will learn to lift using all your muscles at once. It will help build balance and coordination too. The benefits are too many to name on here.

You will NEED to purchase a pair of Oly Weightlifting Shoes which aren't too expensive (some go as cheap as $65) and you may be able to find a pair on ebay or craigslist.

As for exercises, you will want to learn Power Snatch, Power Clean & Jerk, Snatch Pulls, Clean Pulls, Front Squats, Squat Clean & Jerk, and Squat Snatch to begin with. As you get more advanced as you perfect your technique you'll be able to add more and more assisting exercises which will help increase the 2 lifts. The Squat Clean & Jerk and the Squat Snatch.

HammerStrength12
07-23-2009, 12:37 AM
What he said,

Also, consider buying the book "Olympic Weightlifting" by Greg Everett. Really helped me with the form.

Sistersteel
07-23-2009, 03:15 AM
I think you could throw in some power snatches and power cleans for now. No need to worry about jerks or even performing squat snatches or squat cleans for right now. Until you have proper guidance or instruction from a certified coach, you might injure yourself trying to perform the lifts on your own. You do not want to establish motor pathways for flawed technique, It will take an eternity to undo that. I would also suggest you add front squats to your leg day, high pulls with a snatch grip on back day, and high pulls with a clean grip on shoulders day. Do that and you're golden.

SS

HammerStrength12
08-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Is your goal to get bigger/stronger/both? Adding in high reps sets of cleans and presses made my shoulders massive(compared to the rest of my body at least lol). Seriously though, I must have put on about 4 inches to my shoulders after a month of doing these