PDA

View Full Version : Phentermine question via PM

SallyAnne
07-21-2009, 12:50 PM
From a PM:

Hey, Sally! I'm hoping you can help me out. My best fried brought a bunch of phentermine back from Mexico (Acxion Fentermina 30mg). She loves it and has lost a lot of weight. I'm a figure competitor - can I take this without losing muscle mass?

~gymdiva~
07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
geez, I've heard such good and bad things about this one...being one half of the old school phen/fen it certainly was not made for "us" (ie, not obese)...I have asked about this in the past as well and typically the response has not been positive...one former fellow competitor suggested it to me but she was actually aiming to take some of the muscle off of her to switch from bb to figure so she probably was not the person to ask! hahahaha...hopefully those in the scientific know can better answer the question...

SallyAnne
07-21-2009, 01:04 PM
geez, I've heard such good and bad things about this one...being one half of the old school phen/fen it certainly was not made for "us" (ie, not obese)...I have asked about this in the past as well and typically the response has not been positive...one former fellow competitor suggested it to me but she was actually aiming to take some of the muscle off of her to switch from bb to figure so she probably was not the person to ask! hahahaha...hopefully those in the scientific know can better answer the question...

I've also heard that it eats muscle mass, but I can't remember where I heard it from. I'd also like to read some scientific info on this.

Sistersteel
07-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Anorectic drugs generally do not discriminate between fat and muscle loss. However, there are no studies on the fat to muscle ratio lost on phentermine but rather most research was more focused on its effects on total weight loss. I believe it is the mechanism of action of Phentermine and its effects on the hypothalamus poriton of the brain signaling it to release norepinephrine, resulting in a drastic reduction in appetitie that is attributed to muscle loss, moreso than the effects of the drug itself. Phentermine results in an adrenaline surge that causes fat cells to break down stored fat, but still the principal basis of efficacy is hunger reduction. Muscle loss can be minimized by increasing protein intake.

SS

SallyAnne
07-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Do you feel this drug is safe for a competitor to take provided protein intake is increased?

GeminiJedi
07-21-2009, 03:54 PM
I am a certified pharmacy technician, so I know a bit about the drugs. I'm not a pharmacist, but I wouldn't take it if you're a competitor. Especially if taking any anti-depressants and/or ephedra. There are such huge sides associated with this type of drug, and with all that we competitors put our bodies through I wouldn't risk it. Push water to decrease the appetite.

Carolyn Bryant
07-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Tried it. Hated it. Don't think it's for people with muscles. Yes, it will eat them away if you stay on it long enough. It did suppress the appetite a little. However, I personally don't think there is anything on the planet that does that sucessfully except will power.

I reccommend it to my clients and all of them lost weight with it. But none of them are competitors nor cared about anything except being smaller.

SallyAnne
07-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Can you be more specific on the interactions and the side effects? I think this is a good discussion and we should be as detailed as possible.

Sistersteel
07-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Do you feel this drug is safe for a competitor to take provided protein intake is increased?

Phentermine is similar in mechanism to amphetamines and is classified as a controlled substance in this country. Besides the physical hazards that include high blood pressure and overactive thyroid it has been associated with heart disease and glaucoma. However, Its the psychological effects that I am most concerned about as phentermine users are highly likely to develop and addiciton to it. I would steer cleer of it.

SS

Wolfpack
07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
For those saying it will "eat muscle" what is your reasoning or evidence for this? How can you or did you come to the conclusion that it was eating muscle?

Like SS said, there are no studies on fat to muscle ratio lost, so how did you come to the conclusion that it was in fact eating muscle?

NubianBeauty
07-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Right Wolf... it's an appetite suppressant ONLY. Not a 'fatburner'. Psycho effects comes from tricking the brain from hunger signals.... to put it simply. I use it when dieting but not until I get to where I start to have the extreme craving for food which is after dieting a while. I sometimes need it in the beginning too but never take it the entire length of a diet. I use it for kickstart and end road. So maybe 1st 2-3 weeks of a 16 week diet and last 3 weeks.