PDA

View Full Version : bikini announcement

tammyp
02-19-2009, 06:13 AM
This news just in from the NPC as posted on hardbody.com:

Changes for the new bikini division. This news comes directly from the NPC.

Please note that for all 2009 National Bikini contests except the 2009 Junior USA Bikini Championships, an athlete must have competed in an NPC Bikini event prior to entering a national contest.

The following must be provided with your entry:
• NPC Bikini Contest Name
• Date Of Contest
• Contest Promoter
• Your Height Class & Final Placing

This includes:
• NPC JUNIOR NATIONAL BIKINI CHAMPIONSHIPS
• NPC USA BIKINI CHAMPIONSHIPS
• NPC TEAM UNIVERSE BIKINI CHAMPIONSHIPS
• IFBB NORTH AMERICAN BIKINI CHAMPIONSHIPS
• NPC NATIONAL BIKINI CHAMPIONSHIPS

tiramisu
02-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Has anyone figured out what a "bikini" participant is supposed to look like yet?

tammyp
02-19-2009, 08:43 AM
i was told by a fellow judge (he is ifbb) that its almost like the playboy look.

Kelly Baker
02-19-2009, 09:24 AM
i was told by a fellow judge (he is ifbb) that its almost like the playboy look.

*gag* That's a shame....

Fitswim by Celeste
02-19-2009, 10:15 AM
*gag* That's a shame....

X2!

Femphysiquefan
02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
(insert sound clip of can of worms being opened here) ;)

lil mama
02-19-2009, 02:22 PM
lol:D

(insert sound clip of can of worms being opened here) ;)

Angela123
02-19-2009, 03:29 PM
please let's not start this as a bashing bikini competitor thread or wondering what type of look they are going for. its been done a million times.

if u want to do that, start a thread in the pit. not the women's forum where we have members who are bikini competitors. and we wonder why some women members are too timid to post on here. if i was a bikini competitor i might lay low too.

Sledge
02-19-2009, 03:58 PM
I think for the first couple of bikini comps a bunch of FBBs should get together enter.

Kelly Baker
02-19-2009, 04:03 PM
please let's not start this as a bashing bikini competitor thread or wondering what type of look they are going for. its been done a million times.

if u want to do that, start a thread in the pit. not the women's forum where we have members who are bikini competitors. and we wonder why some women members are too timid to post on here. if i was a bikini competitor i might lay low too.

My intent was not to bash, merely express disappointment that the Playboy look is what they may be going for. This had the potential to reward women with what is considered to be an athletic physique that may not be ready to enter a Figure or Fitness class. Some women are athletic and muscular, but not able to add the necessary mass for another competitive class.

Angela123
02-19-2009, 04:20 PM
oh...nothing posted was horribly bad..but it could cause others to start really bashing. i just wanted to post before serious bashing started.

tammyp
02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
i am trying to have an open mind with it. after all, i have to start judging it next month! the next few months should answer alot of the questions surronding it.

Angela123
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
yah..i was a bit negative at first but ive come around.

tammyp
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
i think it will have to earn respect. lets hope the 1st year turns out some good girls to pave the way fro the sport

SallyAnne
02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
i am trying to have an open mind with it. after all, i have to start judging it next month! the next few months should answer alot of the questions surronding it.

I'm glad you'll be judging - you can give us the inside scoop.

tammyp
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
you can count on it. i judge in buffalo the end of march. im sure they will have it there.

musclegoddess65
02-19-2009, 08:53 PM
still don't know how you ladies rock those damn shoes.... I'd be flying across the stage and it wouldn't be graceful :)

Tu Holmes
02-19-2009, 08:55 PM
*gag* That's a shame....

Speak for yourself... Sounds good to me.

Angela123
02-19-2009, 09:38 PM
hi tu. how have you been?

yah..playboy type bodies r pretty hot!

Punisher44
02-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I still don't see how these clowns in the IFBB think a bikini contestant will pay money to compete in the freakin NPC when bikini contests are given for free on a nightly basis in some states and the prize money will be more than four or five times what the IFBB will be offering. I love their arrogance. Nothing like a bunch of fat, old guys running a physique federation!!

Sledge
02-19-2009, 09:54 PM
trying not to sound negative here. I love bikini models as much as any bloke. I still haven't figured out what it has to do with bodybuilding. And if the idea is to bring in more spectators, I'd also ask is that the type of spectator you want at a physique contest. I guess they will spend some money though, just one dollar bill at a time.

SallyAnne
02-19-2009, 10:00 PM
trying not to sound negative here. I love bikini models as much as any bloke. I still haven't figured out what it has to do with bodybuilding. And if the idea is to bring in more spectators, I'd also ask is that the type of spectator you want at a physique contest. I guess they will spend some money though, just one dollar bill at a time.

Tickets to national bb shows run upwards of $60 + each, and entry fees are approx $150 or so. Each competitor usually brings at least one family member, so 100 figure girls (and I'm being conservative) + family = $21,000.

Last time I checked, there were around 300 figure girls at national level shows. I'm assuming bikini will be just as popular if not more so...

Sledge
02-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Ahhhh I didn't realize that entry fees etc were so high over there. I see the point of it now. Hmmm might have to promote my own IFBB amateur bikini show. I like the sound of that. Sledge, King of the Bikini Girls. Are there any guidelines yet for what they are judging. I've seen some threads about what they are not looking for. But I've yet to see what aspects of the physique they are judging positively.

Femphysiquefan
02-24-2009, 10:28 PM
I had a question in regards to bikini in NPC. I just finished reading a thread on another site in which I discovered from both a state judge and the NPC co-chairman for my state (Indiana) that at least for this year, there will be NO bikini division in ANY NPC contest in Indiana. The NPC representatives over there also stated that apparently the NPC has left it up to the individual state chapters as to whether or not to allow this division in their contests this year. Not discounting what they said (and not trying to bash bikini), but has anyone else heard about this happening in other states?? I ask because you may have NPC competitors here on this board who are thinking about crossing over and training for bikini, thinking that they're going to compete in this locally, only to discover that their particular states have decided not to host that division in their shows.

SallyAnne
02-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I had a question in regards to bikini in NPC. I just finished reading a thread on another site in which I discovered from both a state judge and the NPC co-chairman for my state (Indiana) that at least for this year, there will be NO bikini division in ANY NPC contest in Indiana. The NPC representatives over there also stated that apparently the NPC has left it up to the individual state chapters as to whether or not to allow this division in their contests this year. Not discounting what they said (and not trying to bash bikini), but has anyone else heard about this happening in other states??

No - but I can see why they wouldn't. No bikini competitor THIS YEAR - is going to bother with a local/state show when they don't have to qualify for nationals. It's open season for 2009 with pro cards. I would think that the majority of the women will just do a national show.

SallyAnne
02-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Ahhhh I didn't realize that entry fees etc were so high over there. I see the point of it now. Hmmm might have to promote my own IFBB amateur bikini show. I like the sound of that. Sledge, King of the Bikini Girls. Are there any guidelines yet for what they are judging. I've seen some threads about what they are not looking for. But I've yet to see what aspects of the physique they are judging positively.

I'm forgetting the yearly $85 NPC membership fee. How many national shows are there this year? 4? Times that by 300 bikini competitors x $85.

Femphysiquefan
02-24-2009, 10:46 PM
No - but I can see why they wouldn't. No bikini competitor THIS YEAR - is going to bother with a local/state show when they don't have to qualify for nationals. It's open season for 2009 with pro cards. I would think that the majority of the women will just do a national show.

But if I'm reading this right, and correct me if I'm not, the 1st post of this thread from Tammy seems to be saying the exact opposite: that you HAVE to nationally qualify at one of these local shows BEFORE you can apply for the pro card shows, INCLUDING nationals. Do I have that right??

SallyAnne
02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
But if I'm reading this right, and correct me if I'm not, the 1st post of this thread from Tammy seems to be saying the exact opposite: that you HAVE to nationally qualify at one of these local shows BEFORE you can apply for the pro card shows, INCLUDING nationals. Do I have that right??

See - I didn't even read the announcement. lol It looks like they don't have to qualify - they just have to compete in one. That must be the change.

Femphysiquefan
02-24-2009, 10:58 PM
See - I didn't even read the announcement. lol It looks like they don't have to qualify - they just have to compete in one. That must be the change.

Then if that's the case, those NPC competitors here on this board who are wanting to compete in bikini should get in touch with the chairman of their state NPC chapter, and make sure that bikini is even OFFERED in their state contests before they start making any substantial investment in training for it.

SallyAnne
02-24-2009, 11:11 PM
correct.

I have a question: If a local/state show is picking up bikini, do they have to pay the NPC to pick this event up?

goddessamazon
02-24-2009, 11:15 PM
I had a question in regards to bikini in NPC. I just finished reading a thread on another site in which I discovered from both a state judge and the NPC co-chairman for my state (Indiana) that at least for this year, there will be NO bikini division in ANY NPC contest in Indiana. The NPC representatives over there also stated that apparently the NPC has left it up to the individual state chapters as to whether or not to allow this division in their contests this year. Not discounting what they said (and not trying to bash bikini), but has anyone else heard about this happening in other states?? I ask because you may have NPC competitors here on this board who are thinking about crossing over and training for bikini, thinking that they're going to compete in this locally, only to discover that their particular states have decided not to host that division in their shows.

The NPC chariman here in Georgia isn't doing it either. They don't want any parts of it.

Also, it cost only $50 to enter as a competitor in a NPC figure or bodybuilding show down here in the south. This doesn't include the $85 NPC card though.

SallyAnne
02-24-2009, 11:17 PM
I think local/regional/state shows are always cheaper. They empty your pockets at the national level.

goddessamazon
02-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Yup! This is true. I qualified for the nationals last year but opt not to compete however, I was surprised with the registration fee for each competitor. :eek:

SallyAnne
02-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Yup! This is true. I qualified for the nationals last year but opt not to compete however, I was surprised with the registration fee for each competitor. :eek:

I know. lol I'm saving already.

Femphysiquefan
02-24-2009, 11:41 PM
What usually does an entry fee for a national level show run for a competitor?

Curt James
02-24-2009, 11:50 PM
still don't know how you ladies rock those damn shoes.... I'd be flying across the stage and it wouldn't be graceful :)

Okay, clueless question... the bikini competitors will be sporting heels? I just assumed it would be in bare feet.

Because, yeah, bikini and bare feet seem to go together.

On the other hand...

Elise
02-24-2009, 11:59 PM
I"m totally down with bikini, and helping those to walk.

~gymdiva~
02-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Okay, clueless question... the bikini competitors will be sporting heels? I just assumed it would be in bare feet.

yep...just like figure and fitness they'll be in heels...