PDA

View Full Version : post contest bloat

Arthur Early
07-23-2009, 10:21 AM
what is the most weight you have ever gained after a show and in how many days

i remeber after my first show i gained 20lbs in a week NEVER AGAIN

Bob Smith Jr.
07-23-2009, 10:28 AM
hehe, i competed last weekend and i weighed in at 188. I'm already back up to 220, so whats that- 32 lbs! I feel a lot more comfortable at this weight though then 188. My body did not want to be that light...

Shawn Bellon
07-23-2009, 10:28 AM
I was 238 at my show last Friday night. I weighed 265.3 last night. :)

Arthur Early
07-23-2009, 01:28 PM
SHIT i weight in at 174 on sat and i am know 182 and i feel like a fat fuck

Frosty
07-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Man I'm a firm believer in continuing the diet after the show to prevent this and help maintain leanness! The leaner you can stay year-round the better. Then you can gradually start changing the diet to shift into a gaining mode instead of just slamming the body with food and bloating up and gaining fat.

Arthur Early
07-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Man I'm a firm believer in continuing the diet after the show to prevent this and help maintain leanness! The leaner you can stay year-round the better. Then you can gradually start changing the diet to shift into a gaining mode instead of just slamming the body with food and bloating up and gaining fat.

sooooo true that is what i am doing right now

Quadsweep
07-23-2009, 04:08 PM
37# in 5 days after 1997 Jr natls! I do not do that anymore. I am now 5 days after Masters Nationals and I am only up...oh maybe 5 or 6 pounds. Would have expected more after all I ate!

Quadsweep

Quadsweep
07-23-2009, 04:12 PM

I agree to a point. I have not been over 5.5% in about 5 years. I also have not tried to gain lean mass to any great degree in this time. I think a person can be too lean to gain lean mass effectively. I plan on going to around 7.5% this year. I only lose 5-7# for a show the way I have been as of late. I also think a little extra fat will cushion my joints some as well.

Quadsweep

Frosty
07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
I agree to a point. I have not been over 5.5% in about 5 years. I also have not tried to gain lean mass to any great degree in this time. I think a person can be too lean to gain lean mass effectively. I plan on going to around 7.5% this year. I only lose 5-7# for a show the way I have been as of late. I also think a little extra fat will cushion my joints some as well.

Quadsweep

True, and if you start out at 5% you have a LOT more room to gain some fat and still be fine. If you let yourself go post-contest and get up to 10% quickly, you have less room to add fat. Starting at 5% you could add 5-7% BF and still be okay...someone starting at 10% is gonna get pretty chubby if they increase 5-7%!!! I think going no higher than 10-12% in the off season is a good idea, and staying lean post-contest would make this possible. Then you can stay gaining longer and then take less time to diet down! Plus you'll look better....I'm sorry buy guys going from a high BF% down to contest shape just don't look as good as someone that stayed leaner.

MikeS
07-23-2009, 05:32 PM
After all I've read about people getting so fat, bloated and heavy after a show (clearly from binging uncontrollably) I'm more and more convinced that after my first show in 6 weeks, I am going to have the 1 day after my show off and eat whatever (and as much)as I want then back on the diet (albiet slightly more cals) & cardio the day after for a week or two then reassess. Seems like the best option. Hopefully this will lead to about 3-5 lean solid pounds.

chris d
07-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I competed last saturday in the mr.missouri-ozark championships went down to the light heavys I won the masters 35-39 class, I won the mens novice and took the overall, then I jumped in the open which in everyones eyes they say I should have won that class too but they gave me 4th and the guy who got 3rd I just beat him twice that night in the other classes how is that possible, but anyways I am happy with my outcome going to do masters nationals next year see what I can do. By the way I weighed in at 196 it is thursday and I am 230 right now Crazy!

Bob Smith Jr.
07-23-2009, 08:53 PM
u got any pics from the MO state show? I did that show last year. I heard there were only 35 competitors total this year or something really low like that. My friend ross won the middles...

freak
07-23-2009, 09:11 PM
completely agree with frosty here. going from border-line starvation to gluttony is detrimental to your health and could possibly induce refeeding syndrome.

johngorman
07-23-2009, 10:06 PM
completely agree with frosty here. going from border-line starvation to gluttony is detrimental to your health and could possibly induce refeeding syndrome.
come on guys, when you gain 30 lbs after a show in a matter of 2 days (i just gained 30 lbs in 2 days from my rebound after the mostate show, 155 to 185) it's almost all water from different variables such as reintroducing sodium, using a diuretic, and cutting water. that's 95% of the bloat, it's not fat. after i gained about this much after doing the muscle mayhem last may, i got back on the diet on tuesday, and all the water was gone by friday and i was actually leaner. ITS MOSTLY WATER!!!!

freak
07-23-2009, 11:30 PM
come on guys, when you gain 30 lbs after a show in a matter of 2 days (i just gained 30 lbs in 2 days from my rebound after the mostate show, 155 to 185) it's almost all water from different variables such as reintroducing sodium, using a diuretic, and cutting water. that's 95% of the bloat, it's not fat. after i gained about this much after doing the muscle mayhem last may, i got back on the diet on tuesday, and all the water was gone by friday and i was actually leaner. ITS MOSTLY WATER!!!!
yeah... the water and electrolytes is the problem... do you know what refeeding syndrome is??

Frosty
07-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Even if it's water it's not healthy to gain 30 lbs in 2 days and have bad edema.

If the feeding last for more than 2 days watch the fat pack on at a scary rate.

MattyH7688
07-24-2009, 02:37 AM
im at 205... i started peak week at 191... weighed in as a middle weight

I didnt even cheat on sunday.. went into my planned bulking diet.. its just i had to cut water TWICE and with the sodium and diuretics, my body rebounded hard with water

my abs look like shit.. but I am not eating to much more than i was precontest.. i know most is probably water

Frosty
07-24-2009, 03:06 AM
One option is to continue to use an herbal diuretic for a week or so after the contest.

billytrainer
07-24-2009, 08:05 AM

agreed 100%. i learned this after 3 years of shows... the first 2 i was so deprived for so long I binged & lost all interest in training and dieting for a few months after the shows... now i feel great & try to eat cleanas much as possible & slowly introduce things back into the system..

freak
07-24-2009, 02:28 PM
One option is to continue to use an herbal diuretic for a week or so after the contest.
why?? these diuretics arent good for you.

Quadsweep
07-24-2009, 04:02 PM
True, and if you start out at 5% you have a LOT more room to gain some fat and still be fine. If you let yourself go post-contest and get up to 10% quickly, you have less room to add fat. Starting at 5% you could add 5-7% BF and still be okay...someone starting at 10% is gonna get pretty chubby if they increase 5-7%!!! I think going no higher than 10-12% in the off season is a good idea, and staying lean post-contest would make this possible. Then you can stay gaining longer and then take less time to diet down! Plus you'll look better....I'm sorry buy guys going from a high BF% down to contest shape just don't look as good as someone that stayed leaner. I do not think it would be possible for me to ever get up to 12%. I meant i live @ 5.5% without dieting. Competed @ 3.3% @ 210#. I need to get up to @ least 7% I think so i have a "calorie cushion" so to speak. I have to eat soooo much to gain weight. I am guessing it will be 9 months of 7500 cals a day. Not that 7% is high...but its kinda high for me. Ask Scoobysnacks...I live lean always. Its a gift and a curse at the same time.

Q.

MattyH7688
07-24-2009, 05:09 PM
theres a difference on the body with something like taraxtone and dyazide and even worse.. lasix

i am actually gonna start up some taraxtone again

freak
07-24-2009, 05:24 PM
theres a difference on the body with something like taraxtone and dyazide and even worse.. lasix

i am actually gonna start up some taraxtone again
not gonna lie, i have no idea what any of those compounds are.

MattyH7688
07-24-2009, 06:04 PM
not gonna lie, i have no idea what any of those compounds are.
lmfao

you just assumed they werent good for you then....................

freak
07-24-2009, 08:18 PM
lmfao

you just assumed they werent good for you then....................
dehydrating yourself isnt healthy in general... and are those herbal diuretics??

Frosty
07-25-2009, 01:47 AM

How is dandelion root for a week going to be bad for you?

figurebre
07-25-2009, 02:35 AM
u can do dandelion root year round. its fine.
easy on the sodium.
Keep it clean.
Avoid Fats.
Stay focused. it takes time for your body to adjust. obviously its all water.

Bob Smith Jr.
07-25-2009, 10:32 AM
i dont understand why a bodybuilder would use any diuretic (otc or rx) any time besides the day before a show. Who cares if u get a bloated and watery during the offseason or after a show. That's how u make gains people! You need the extra water and fat to push more weight, thus build more muscle. You can't be super lean year round, it just doesn't work that way!

Frosty
07-25-2009, 10:51 AM
You don't need edema to gain muscle and push heavy weights lol.

capone1153
07-25-2009, 11:58 AM
i did a show in june and started my off season on june 13th at 160lbs @ 5 % bf today i weighted in @ 175 @ 8% bf... is that considered gaining to much fat too quick??

Shawn Bellon
07-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Sodium is fine for you. Just make sure your medical history allots.

I am up to 270 now from 238 last Friday night at my show.

Bob Smith Jr.
07-25-2009, 12:26 PM
im not saying edema but people who try to watch their water weight and shit like that in the offseason is stupid imo. I mean, of course you want to be healthy, but who cares if your holding some excess water...

Shawn Bellon
07-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Totally agree. Pass the sea salt.

Shawn Bellon
07-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Quote from Dr. Colker:

What's all this low salt shi*? Do you have some kind of kidney problem or salt sensitive hypertension? I mean why the restriction? Salt is one of the most powerful and most underrated anabolic factors! I write about it extensively in Extreme Muscle Enhancment II (if those Prosource Publication guys would ever get published!).

chris d
07-25-2009, 04:40 PM
u got any pics from the MO state show? I did that show last year. I heard there were only 35 competitors total this year or something really low like that. My friend ross won the middles...
Duncan, are camera shot craps that night the shutter quit but my buddies wife has some good ones she will e-mail them to me and I will post when I get. I saw you down in Kansas looked great, keep the drive and you are going to go far. Their were more than that, I think the number was 45 or 50 but everyone says the numbers were down but the competition was a lot better as far as the quality of the people. I had 7 guys in my masters class and 9 in the novice and 10 in the open all of the guys were all good bodybuilders.

johngorman
07-26-2009, 09:21 AM
i upped my water intake to about 2 to 2 1/2 gallons a day to help move off some of the post-contest water. i do that either after a contest or after a big re-feed for a couple days, really helps a lot.

Jaredmus
07-26-2009, 09:35 AM
After the atlantic states i put on 10lbs in 24 hours, and by the end of the week gained a total of 16 lbs. which i thought was insane the bloat went away after 10 days, with a few cardio days

Shawn Bellon
07-26-2009, 12:41 PM
I am 275 this morning...ugh. I am little vascularity right now. Hate this.

MattyH7688
07-28-2009, 03:10 PM
competed at 176.. 192 before peak week.. 215 now and abs are coming back :D