PDA

View Full Version : Barnett fails drug test....

Plates
07-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Fresh Sherdog.com scoop indicates that former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett has registered a positive test that has left a marquee Aug. 1 bout with Fedor Emelianenko at "Affliction: Trilogy" on thin ice. (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/fedor-barnett-bout-in-jeopardy-18663)
(Barnett tested positive for illicit supplementation in the spring of 2002, denting his win over champion Randy Couture at UFC 36 that March. Barnett disputed the results, citing holes in the handling and protocol of the testing. He remained absent from the U.S. circuit until a 2006 Pride event in Las Vegas.)
This is woeful news for Affliction, which surely will encounter significant problems pulling television advertising on only 11 days' notice. Sherdog reports that a tentative agreement (pending Emelianenko's approval) has been reached with Vitor Belfort, who had been preparing for a middleweight bout and who can't weigh much more than 200 pounds at the moment. Belfort appears rejuvenated, but an extra 30 pounds of Emelianenko is a big load to carry. Another possible replacement is Bobby Lashley, a choice that could cause a minor stir; Lashley would be the best wrestler Emelianenko has faced since Kevin Randleman, who dropped Emelianenko on his danged head
Truth is, there should be a laundry list of athletes getting in line for a late shot at the sport's current king of the ring. Beat him and you're deified; get twisted up and you can lean on the excuse that you had only a few days to prepare. What does anyone have to lose, besides a few veneers?

ANADROLicfreak
07-23-2009, 11:18 AM
i dont think it matters what barnett takes fedor would have killed him.

Mr X
07-23-2009, 11:21 AM
i dont think it matters what barnett takes fedor would have killed him.

bullshit Barnett would have pushed Fedor.

This is a fucked situation for everybody involved , I'm pissed this would have been an awesome fight that was years in the making.

Plates
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Would have been amazing fight. Barnett would have made it a great fight for Fedor. Still think Barnett was going to take a nap though. Oh well, hopefully something happens out of this. I want to see some fights

Mr X
07-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeh I think Fedor would have beaten him but it pisses me off when people talk about Barnett like he had no chance.

Plates
07-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeh I think Fedor would have beaten him but it pisses me off when people talk about Barnett like he had no chance.

+1 Barnett is a gamer for real.

Mr X
07-23-2009, 11:26 AM
bottom line Affliction is royally Fucked!

Plates
07-23-2009, 11:30 AM
I think they will come up with something. They do have a few names over there to carry them a little farther. Its not like they are putting 100% of their franchise on Kimbo. But I dont see Affliction lasting another year.

Mr X
07-23-2009, 11:31 AM
It looks like its going to be Fedor vs Vitor.

meh

Plates
07-23-2009, 11:34 AM
KO or TKO? Ill go with TKO

Mr X
07-23-2009, 11:37 AM
For me this fight is pointless but they are stuck and Fedor has to fight someone.

KO, 2mins 32 secs 1st round.

Plates
07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Cool.. Ill say TKO in 4:25 of the 1st. 100 Karma points to the closest. Deal? Oh wait...we dont have K on here. lol

Mr X
07-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Cool.. Ill say TKO in 4:25 of the 1st. 100 Karma points to the closest. Deal? Oh wait...we dont have K on here. lol

Deal. we can just check back here for bragging rights after.

On a side note I gotta talk to some mods about starting a Predictions thread here where you register and predict on upcoming MMA events and we could have a leaderboard with which member is the best fight predictor, I'm not sure how it could be set up.

Plates
07-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Deal. we can just check back here for bragging rights after.

On a side note I gotta talk to some mods about starting a Predictions thread here where you register and predict on upcoming MMA events and we could have a leaderboard with which member is the best fight predictor, I'm not sure how it could be set up.

That would be tits. Ive mentioned rep points before. I know other boards have "Karma" or whatever. I was thinking about calling it a "Rack" as in weight rack or something of the sorts. And you accumulate weight for your weight rack through betting, passing it out, or whatver.....or something of that nature. Would be nice to spice it up around here. :) But good idea on the predictor. That would be the shit

Mr X
07-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeh it could be good.

I might just start a MMA Fight Predictions thread for now and just do it on a event by event basis.

Pretzel Logic
07-24-2009, 03:13 AM
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. It seems like guys always test positive after the fact. Too bad Fedor can't just agree to fight him anyway and Barnett can take his lumps(most likely never fighting in the US again) later. The match could be changed to an exibition.

Sensei
07-29-2009, 12:56 AM
How did I know this would lead to affliction cancelling the show. Now hopefully the UFC can sign brock. Barnett is probly the most hated man in MMA right now though atleast by those who were gonna fight on the affliction card

Mr X
07-29-2009, 01:32 AM
How did I know this would lead to affliction cancelling the show. Now hopefully the UFC can sign brock. Barnett is probly the most hated man in MMA right now though atleast by those who were gonna fight on the affliction card

ah dude Brock is the UFC heavyweight champ, you meant Fedor?