PDA

View Full Version : Summer summary

esplendido
07-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Well, after deciding to compete next year instead of this year and taking a week off for vacation (great cigars, great company in overly hot Dominican Republic), I've had a few moments to think about bodybuilding.

First, it was easy to take the time off. Not because I'm tired of training or needing the time for recovery. It's from knowing, after 30+ years of training that this muscle isn't going away because I take some time off. Bodybuilding is a lifestyle, true. It offers discipline that can give a person direction and confidence. But there is more to life than bodybuilding. That's not a statement of resignation, of weariness. It's a truth that all bbers need to grasp.

You're not going to lose ground if you miss a meal or a protein shake. You're not going to shrink up if you miss a workout or two. In fact, if you don't take a break once in awhile, you'll burn out, overtrain, and become antisocial.

I rarely discuss bodybuilding with my friends, employees and family. It's a firm goal in my life but it isn't what defines me. I can discuss politics, religion, fishing, cigars, how others are doing without losing my focus on bodybuilding. I concentrate on discovering what's going on in others lives, to talk about their goals and experiences. Bodybuilding only comes up when others broach the subject.

If bodybuilding defines me, then I have no real friends and have no real social life. I would not be able to stray from the topics of diet, training, and competing. I would be boring and dull.

Bodybuilding is my private oasis. It's the treat I give myself in the midst of the work and life struggle. It's my release, rather than drugs or drinking or fornication. I can push as hard as I want or cruise. I control it. And it's a long term effort with slow, steady progress taking time to accomplish.

I'm a man who is a businessman, familyman, friend, husband....and then bodybuilder.

If you are struggling in a relationship or job or business or spiritually because of bodybuilding, you are not a balanced individual. You need to re-evaluate, to diversify, to expand. It can only help your goal to be the best bber you can be.

ironwarrior22
07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
word

ironwarrior22
07-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I get my best gains when I take time off and just focus on everything but bodybuilding. I took the last two weeks off today I way six pounds more and I'm more vascular

DR.BB
07-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Good post. My problem is I have yet to find a balance between work, family and my bodybuilding. For me to make true progress, I find that I neglect other areas of my life, especially work. Don't get me wrong I have a great career, but it conflicts w/ bodybuilding. I find that BB can easily consume your thinking and spill over into other areas of yr life, especially if dieting. Great idea to take a break and step back from it. I need to do the same, but last time I tried I was out of the gym for six months and it was a tough 3-4 months of getting back in the groove after returning.

gman
07-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Same with me. I am so new to it, and so enamored with it, I tend to spend way too much time on here and researching things.

I did manage to get the family part right after a period a while back where I was doing 2 a day workouts. I will never do that again, believe me. My wife was getting justifiably upset then. Now that I go before work while the family is still sleeping, I am not taking away too much from them.

Right now though, I cannot stop training for even a week because I know myself to well. A week would turn into a month and then a year, and my eating habits would go totally to hell. Hopefully as I progress I will be able to learn to take time off without turning into a slob again. Frankly, I have a great fear of getting real fat again, and am afraid I will if I rest too much.

Luv2Hurt
07-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Well you sound like quite the balanced individual, good for you! Me I'm a junkie and need my release much more often and harder.

Have to say you come off a bit condescending in your post.

esplendido
07-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Well you sound like quite the balanced individual, good for you! Me I'm a junkie and need my release much more often and harder.

Have to say you come off a bit condescending in your post.

My apologies. But come back when you're in your 50's and let me know if it still sounds that way :)

little d
07-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Gman, I can understand your thinking. I was obese and totally out of shape before I got into bodybuilding. Like you, I needed to stay in the gym or risk losing my new found control. I became obsessed and so focused my family suffered.
Fast forward years later... family first, learned my lesson...do what you need to do to stay fulfilled with your new found BB without placing family in jeopardy. Work around your loved ones just a bit...so they dont miss you so much. As you, I worked out so early my family didnt even miss me. My family is now totaly supportive and encourgeing, it takes time for their brains to wrap around this new you, give them the time.

Esposito is so right... there are so many dimensions to us. We are so excited with new world of BB that we get carried away... most people dont get that.

Stay the course! We will be here to encourage you. .. you WILL stick to it!

gman
07-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Thanks, Little D. I have gotten more balanced since I started lifting 4 years ago, but have a long way to go. Rick is right, you have to have a complete life, not just a bodybuilding life.

Luv2Hurt
07-24-2009, 08:19 AM
My apologies. But come back when you're in your 50's and let me know if it still sounds that way :)

Don't get me wrong you make some good points that would be hard to argue. :)

Yeah, well I'm sure I will be wiser each year I spend on this earth. Unfortunately some bad luck in life had me growing up REAL fast, too fast. So by the time I was 10 I have had more "experience" than many people in their 40's and 50's Age is a poor indicator of life experience or maturity level.

I have learned over the years to be less judgmental and self righteous.

opsab
07-25-2009, 04:42 AM
My first response in this forum! But it was the best message/ explanation, I have read! I envy you. Me, I have planed to do a comeback for 4 months, but don't succeed at it! Because of lack of balance!

Luv2Hurt
07-25-2009, 09:47 AM
My first response in this forum! But it was the best message/ explanation, I have read! I envy you. Me, I have planed to do a comeback for 4 months, but don't succeed at it! Because of lack of balance!

Boy I just hope you guys are not using this lack of balance thing as a justification to not go all the way. Trust me I have been there. Maybe competitive BB is a poor choice for those who would like to lead a balanced lifestyle?

musclejl
07-27-2009, 10:09 AM
I like how you think, well said.

Summer summary

Well, after deciding to compete next year instead of this year and taking a week off for vacation (great cigars, great company in overly hot Dominican Republic), I've had a few moments to think about bodybuilding.

First, it was easy to take the time off. Not because I'm tired of training or needing the time for recovery. It's from knowing, after 30+ years of training that this muscle isn't going away because I take some time off. Bodybuilding is a lifestyle, true. It offers discipline that can give a person direction and confidence. But there is more to life than bodybuilding. That's not a statement of resignation, of weariness. It's a truth that all bbers need to grasp.

You're not going to lose ground if you miss a meal or a protein shake. You're not going to shrink up if you miss a workout or two. In fact, if you don't take a break once in awhile, you'll burn out, overtrain, and become antisocial.

I rarely discuss bodybuilding with my friends, employees and family. It's a firm goal in my life but it isn't what defines me. I can discuss politics, religion, fishing, cigars, how others are doing without losing my focus on bodybuilding. I concentrate on discovering what's going on in others lives, to talk about their goals and experiences. Bodybuilding only comes up when others broach the subject.

If bodybuilding defines me, then I have no real friends and have no real social life. I would not be able to stray from the topics of diet, training, and competing. I would be boring and dull.

Bodybuilding is my private oasis. It's the treat I give myself in the midst of the work and life struggle. It's my release, rather than drugs or drinking or fornication. I can push as hard as I want or cruise. I control it. And it's a long term effort with slow, steady progress taking time to accomplish.

I'm a man who is a businessman, familyman, friend, husband....and then bodybuilder.

If you are struggling in a relationship or job or business or spiritually because of bodybuilding, you are not a balanced individual. You need to re-evaluate, to diversify, to expand. It can only help your goal to be the best bber you can be.