PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin B-6 Declared a “Drug” by FDA; to be Banned from Vitamin Supplements

SallyAnne
02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.ironmagazine.com/blog/2009/fda-is-declaring-vitamin-b-6-a-drug/

Vitamin B-6 Declared a “Drug” by FDA; to be Banned from Vitamin Supplements

God help us, because the FDA has now opened the gateway for all vitamins to be declared “drugs” and removed from sale by the nutritional supplement industry.

What they have done is declared that pyridoxamine (one of the three primary forms of vitamin B-6 found in nature, and the most widely used form in multi-vitamin supplements) is in reality a “new drug,” thus clearing the way for it to be banned from sale as a nutritional supplement. (See the news article below this commentary for more details.)

Here’s what happened:

A North Carolina-based firm called Biostratum began manufacturing pyridoxamine-based drug called Pyridorin designed to prevent the progression of diabetic nephropathy (kidney disease). The company then petitioned the FDA to declare pyridoxamine a “new drug,” clearing the way for them to hold an iron-clad monopoly on its sale.

Today, the FDA agreed with Biostratum, and declared this most popular form of vitamin B-6 to indeed be a “new drug,” using the argument that its medical qualities had been under investigation for years before it was ever used as a nutritional supplement under the DSHEA, which ironically was enacted in 1994 in order to protect nutritional supplements from excessive FDA regulation.

Not to worry, said many observers in the nutritional supplement industry. After all, there are two other natural forms of vitamin B-6 that can still be used in multi-vitamin formulations. The problem is, another drug company has already petitioned the FDA to declare the second most popular form of B-6, pyridoxal 5′-phosphate, which is also called P5P, a “new drug,” apparently for the very same reason pyridoxamine has been declared a drug, i.e., it’s purely medical qualities have been investigated long before it was ever used as a nutritional supplement.

How much longer until the third most popular natural form of B-6 will be declared a “drug”? You can bet your boots the pharmaceutical companies are racing to get in on the FDA’s new fast-track for turning B-vitamins into drugs.

Will All Vitamins Eventually Be Declared Drugs?

Worst of all, the very same argument being used to declare vitamin B6 a “drug” can essentially be made for any vitamin. After all, every known vitamin on the face of the earth has been studied for their medicinal qualities even since the discovery of the existence of vitamins in food back in 1905, when a scientist named William Fletcher realized that foods contained special nutrients that actually prevented disease.

It is easy to see that the day is soon-coming in which all vitamins will be offered solely as “drugs,” by prescription only.

One of the most galling aspects of the whole thing is that the FDA flatly refuses to allow nutritional supplement manufacturers to even mention the incredible medicinal values of the vitamins, minerals and other supplements they sell. Indeed, the FDA routinely claims vitamin and mineral supplements are “useless” and “inert.” Yet when a drug company develops the same natural molecule as a “drug,” suddenly its medical benefits can be touted from the rooftops. The only problem is, the drug company is given a monopoly to produce the “drug,” and what was once a natural product available inexpensively in any health food store in America is now an expensive drug you have to get a prescription for.

Drug-Induced B-6 Deficiency a Growing Phenomena

Another serious issue regarding B-6 is that a growing number of medications actually deplete the body of this vital nutrient that is absolutely essential to life. The syndrome is called Drug Induced Pyridoxine Deficiency, and several drugs, including drugs for the treatment of tuberculosis, Parkinson’s Disease and for cancer are known to cause this syndrome, which essentially turns you into a mental vegetable by depleting your body of its needed stores of vitamin B-6.

In the past, people having to take these drugs could simply go down to their local health food store and pick up an inexpensive bottle of vitamin B-6 in order to prevent the depletion syndrome. But due to the new FDA ruling, people using these drugs will no longer be able to do so. Instead they will have to get a prescription from their doctor, and purchase the expensive “drug” form of the vitamin in order to resolve the devastating mental side effects of the first drug!

Foods that Contain Vitamin B-6 Naturally

Under the circumstances it is important to note that certain foods contain vitamin B-6 naturally. They are, in order of their content percentage of the recommended daily value of the vitamin:

Baked potato, flesh and skin, 1 medium: 0.7 mg ~ 35% DV
Banana, raw, 1 medium: 0.68 mg ~ 34% DV
Garbanzo beans, canned, 1/2 c: 0.57 mg ~ 30% DV
Chicken breast, meat only, cooked, 1/2 breast: 0.52 mg ~ 25% DV
Pork loin, lean only, cooked, 3 oz: 0.42 mg ~20% DV
Roast beef, eye of round, lean only, cooked, 3 oz: 0.32 mg ~ 15% DV
Trout, rainbow, cooked, 3 oz: 0.29 mg ~ 15% DV
Sunflower seeds, kernels, dry roasted, 1 oz: 0.23 mg ~ 10% DV
Avocado, raw, sliced, 1/2 cup: 0.2 mg ~ 10% DV
Salmon, Sockeye, cooked, 3 oz: 0.19 mg ~ 10% DV
Tuna, canned in water, drained solids, 3 oz: 0.18 mg ~ 10% DV
Peanut butter, smooth, 2 Tbs: 0.15 mg ~ 8% DV

More importantly, safe, simple Brewer’s Yeast contains relatively high levels of B-vitamins, including the pyridoxine form of B-6. Capsulated Brewer’s Yeast can be purchased in just about any health food store in the country, or is available through many online sources.

What to Do Now

Legally speaking, as of today, anyone wanting to purchase the pyridoxamine form of B-6, and probably soon the P5P form, will have to have a doctor’s prescription to do so. Of course, the ruling is brand new, and it is going to take some time for the FDA to implement it. Meanwhile, the pyridoxamine form of vitamin B-6 is still widely available in health food stores across the country. I suspect, however, not for long.

Today I went down to my local health food store and stocked up on a number of bottles of NOW Brand “B-50” vitamins, which contains the pyridoxamine form of B-6 along with all other B vitamins in 50 mg. per capsule dosages. I also picked up a number of bottles of the pure vitamin B6, in 100 mg. per capsule dosages. Since this vitamin is essential to cardiovascular health as well as mental health (and is also widely used to help heal carpal tunnel syndrome), it might be wise for you to do the same, particularly if the B vitamins are an integral part of your regular natural health regimen.

Another thing you can do is go to the web site of the American Association for Health Freedom and sign their petition to stop the FDA from turning any more vitamins into drugs.

You should also write and call your Congressmen and Senators immediately, and tell them you don’t want the FDA banning any more vitamins by turning them into “drugs.”

It is high time we all start expressing our outrage at this outlandish behavior by the FDA and other bureaucracies in regards to their disdain for nutritional supplements. We now have the EPA trying to re-classify colloidal silver as a “pesticide” so they can ban its sale in health food stores. And we have the FDA actually re-classifying common vitamins as drugs. And it is all at the behest of the major pharmaceutical companies.

Frosty
02-19-2009, 02:27 PM
What they have done is declared that pyridoxamine (one of the three primary forms of vitamin B-6 found in nature, and the most widely used form in multi-vitamin supplements)

Is this supposed to read 'pyridoxine HCl'?

Prince
02-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Is this supposed to read 'pyridoxine HCl'?

no it's not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyridoxamine

Prince
02-20-2009, 12:17 AM
if anyone is interested in signing the petition:
https://secure3.convio.net/aahf/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=245

militantmuscle
02-20-2009, 10:42 AM
if anyone is interested in signing the petition:
https://secure3.convio.net/aahf/site/advocacy?cmd=display&page=useraction&id=245

bump

Frosty
02-20-2009, 10:46 AM
So does that mean pyridoxine HCl is still going to be around?

rich_fox117
02-20-2009, 03:16 PM
god the world is going to hell....

Suzy Brown
02-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Its still around... stock up. Cmon half of you get supps from over seas already, why should something like this be so had to swallow? (pun, get it?!)

BTW ~~ I saw this news last week and went out and got a little bottle from CVS. $8 I think... I took some (never bothered before, Bs are in my RockStar) and I swear I felt it kick in almost the same day. I woke up faster, felt more clear headed, more energy thru the day ... I have skipped my afternoon green tea, didn't feel like I needed it!

bigdaddyd
02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I take b6 everyday....soon we won't be able to take multi-vitamins...LOL

Zetawill
02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
ohhhhh when is America's second revolution going to happen......I wanted CHANGE, how the hell did this type of CHANGE start getting discussed?

heavyiron
02-20-2009, 06:33 PM
unbelievable what the goverment controls

SuperSaiyanPump
02-20-2009, 06:52 PM
You have got to be shitting me.

wnybodybuildingfan
02-21-2009, 03:59 PM
I just signed it.

David
02-22-2009, 04:35 AM
In order to prevent you from hurting yourself the FDA has mandated that you die.

You can find the bowl of punch at your nearest GNC / Vitamin Shoppe.

HanSoLo
02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Wow, this kinda shit is getting way out of hand. I understand regulating certain things, but Vitamin's now!! Come on!!. I live in China and get Vitamin B-12 over the counter and use it for F*cks sake, I can also get Winny over the counter so its not saying much, but come on Vitamins???

Martin P
02-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Well i'm not suprised,in Sweden potassium bicarbonate (kaleorid) needs prescription..and in some pharmacist's you cant even buy caffeine any longer,and in those where you can it's about 100mg a tab and 30 tabs ....

happyandfatty
03-02-2009, 08:33 PM
damn fda! give me my T BOMB back!!!!

"Rodz"
04-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Another part of the Keep America Fat and unhealthy plan

DaEagles
04-12-2009, 05:05 AM
Another part of the Keep America Fat and unhealthy plan

They trying to turn us into the people like the movie Wall-E

Wiry Pyruvity
04-12-2009, 05:17 AM
population control through a shitty food supply...terrifyingly brilliant...das reich der codex alimentarius

ChunkyThunder
04-12-2009, 12:29 PM
I take b6 everyday....soon we won't be able to take multi-vitamins...LOL

Maybe they will do it to all drugs and then I can get a month of vitamins for $3 from my doctor

... but seriously its retarded

NPCKnight
04-12-2009, 12:42 PM
so what will supplements like ZMA now contain? all supps have to take their b6's out?

BigPablo300
04-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Bump!

Mongdog
04-14-2009, 12:58 PM
When are they going to ban going to work?? Thats the one I am waiting for.

Envirolover
04-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Eventually all vitamins/supplements will be outlawed. Its bad enough they are trying to kill all healthy food with pastuerization and irridation. Its all part of the master plan to keep us sick and at the mercy of big pharma and monsanto. Its disgusting.

jjjohns_10
04-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Bump!

Canuck_Muscle
04-16-2009, 10:58 PM
If they take away vitamins u know we have hit a new low in our society. Time for a peoples revolution.

SoxFan11
04-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Eventually all vitamins/supplements will be outlawed. Its bad enough they are trying to kill all healthy food with pastuerization and irridation. Its all part of the master plan to keep us sick and at the mercy of big pharma and monsanto. Its disgusting.

The same way Big Pharma pushed for the ephedra ban. It was competing with their diet drugs for market share.

Envirolover
04-16-2009, 11:49 PM
The same way Big Pharma pushed for the ephedra ban. It was competing with their diet drugs for market share.

A few ppl unfortunately died from Ephedra but the numbers when compared to deaths of ANY pharma drug prescription or otherwise is much, much higher than any death attributed to ephedra or any other supplement. With the news media in there pocket they make sure that any supplement that hurts someone is on the news and everyone knows about it. Yet with pharma drugs a few hundred or thousand ppl have to die before we know.

I also find it kinda suspicious while "food safety" bills are trying to be passed all these outbreaks of salmonella are occuring. If you watch the news you would think salmonella was some horrible disease but in reality its not a big deal. Old ppl and children may die but the sad reality is they can die from just about anything.

They are in the process of trying to denature our entire food supply. Pastuerize and Irridate everything! The best news is they don't even have to tell us anymore. Almonds being case in point. Healthy ppl are dangerous ppl to our corrupt post 9/11 government.

Sorry for the rant!

SoxFan11
04-16-2009, 11:54 PM
A few ppl unfortunately died from Ephedra but the numbers when compared to deaths of ANY pharma drug prescription or otherwise is much, much higher than any death attributed to ephedra or any other supplement. With the news media in there pocket they make sure that any supplement that hurts someone is on the news and everyone knows about it. Yet with pharma drugs a few hundred or thousand ppl have to die before we know.

I also find it kinda suspicious while "food safety" bills are trying to be passed all these outbreaks of salmonella are occuring. If you watch the news you would think salmonella was some horrible disease but in reality its not a big deal. Old ppl and children may die but the sad reality is they can die from just about anything.

They are in the process of trying to denature our entire food supply. Pastuerize and Irridate everything! The best news is they don't even have to tell us anymore. Almonds being case in point. Healthy ppl are dangerous ppl to our corrupt post 9/11 government.

Sorry for the rant!

Don't worry about the rant. I'm not a big fan of Big Pharma, either.

Envirolover
04-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Don't worry about the rant. I'm not a big fan of Big Pharma, either.

Big pharma is not the only enemy anymore. The agri giants like Tyson and Monsanto are every bit as bad. I think they have teamed up with pharma. Monsanto will assure we get crappie denatured, dead and unhealthy food. As a result more ppl will get sick. More sick ppl means more prescription drugs. All vitamin deficienciences won't be treated unless you see a doctor for a script.

There is a movie coming out called "Food Inc" which looks like it exposes some of the things that happen to our food before it gets to us. The atrocities that happen to food animals are well known but even our produce is going through procedures. I will post up when the movie is coming out since I think its worth a watch based on the preview

SoxFan11
04-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Big pharma is not the only enemy anymore. The agri giants like Tyson and Monsanto are every bit as bad. I think they have teamed up with pharma. Monsanto will assure we get crappie denatured, dead and unhealthy food. As a result more ppl will get sick. More sick ppl means more prescription drugs. All vitamin deficienciences won't be treated unless you see a doctor for a script.

There is a movie coming out called "Food Inc" which looks like it exposes some of the things that happen to our food before it gets to us. The atrocities that happen to food animals are well known but even our produce is going through procedures. I will post up when the movie is coming out since I think its worth a watch based on the preview

Yeah, definitely post a link when you have the info. I think a lot of folks around here would be interested in seeing it.

Envirolover
04-17-2009, 05:57 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqQVll-MP3I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqQVll-MP3I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Here is the coming attraction.

kratos47
04-18-2009, 04:55 AM
this makes me fucking sick. the fucking stupid ass people that dont know shit about anything nutritional are just picking out things that show ANY performance effect on the body and ban it. fuck them!!!

apex23
04-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Signed!!!!!!!

RDFinders
04-19-2009, 07:38 PM
keep the mystery gmo food a coming. i hear you on this one loud and clear.

chasebny
04-19-2009, 07:41 PM
This might also have something to do with using B vitamins to pass a drug test.

Youngguns
04-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Ahh yes, just another little piece of the new world order coming into play. But remember I'm crazy, it makes sense to ban these things! Right?

Strikerrjones
04-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Ahh yes, just another little piece of the new world order coming into play. But remember I'm crazy, it makes sense to ban these things! Right?

Okay, let's say I believe everything you've said. What do you propose should be done about it?

SoxFan11
04-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Okay, let's say I believe everything you've said. What do you propose should be done about it?

Move to Idaho and join a militia.

Youngguns
04-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Alert everyone, once that's done, it should work itself out.

Envirolover
04-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Welcome to post 9/11 America my dudes. We have the great misfortune of being old enough to remember the real America. I am hoping to leave the country in the next 10 yrs honestly.

Envirolover
04-19-2009, 09:46 PM

I have signed numerous petitions and am trying to get a website going just to make ppl aware of all they are losing while they just walk around with their thumb up their ass and playing with their new blackberry. I think all the sugary carbs we as americans eat makes us dumb as shit.

Suzy Brown
04-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I think all the sugary carbs we as americans eat makes us dumb as shit. or maybe its the fluoride ;)

Envirolover
04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
or maybe its the fluoride ;)

Oh yes, our poisned water supply! Flouride is good for your teeth...ppl still actually believe that!..lol "Bangs head into wall"

GrayBull
04-21-2009, 02:23 AM
You wouldn't consider not using flouride, would you? Think about the children!

GrayBull
04-21-2009, 02:30 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqQVll-MP3I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqQVll-MP3I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Here is the coming attraction.

Do you know where I can watch or pick this up at?

smvmuscle
04-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Bump everyone needs to sign

Envirolover
04-22-2009, 10:30 PM
You wouldn't consider not using flouride, would you? Think about the children!

I know, my teeth will fall out! Its not the sugar, it lack of flouride

Envirolover
04-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Do you know where I can watch or pick this up at?

I am still waiting to get an exact release date or where we can see it. I think we all need to see it. As soon as I find out when/where its released I will let everyone know.