PDA

View Full Version : Psyching Up!

Sistersteel
07-24-2009, 02:39 AM
How many of you big boys psyche yourselves up before a 1 RM or before a big lift at a meet??

For those who do, what does it for you?

This should be interesting :popcorn:

SS

wittleguy
07-24-2009, 03:42 AM
i go outside the gym, have the music cranked in my headphones (cant hear ANYTHING so i am totally focused) punch on the wall a little bit, its all concrete, go back in grab that damn bar and rip it off the ground like a piece of grass

Sistersteel
07-24-2009, 04:38 AM
i go outside the gym, have the music cranked in my headphones (cant hear ANYTHING so i am totally focused) punch on the wall a little bit, its all concrete, go back in grab that damn bar and rip it off the ground like a piece of grass

Damn well aren't you all hardcore
And how much weight you got on that bar big guy?? :)

crashcrew56
07-24-2009, 10:18 AM
First I clear my head and get focused on the lift, I try to get relaxed at first actually, then I put my headphones on and turn on the the right song at the time and crank that shit up. While I have my headphones on, i continue to focus on the lift and i fire myself up. Then I take the headphones off, put my straps up, chalk the hand, and take the huge wiff of some nose tork and by then I'm ready to put my head through a wall

Sistersteel
07-24-2009, 10:39 AM
First I clear my head and get focused on the lift, I try to get relaxed at first actually, then I put my headphones on and turn on the the right song at the time and crank that shit up. While I have my headphones on, i continue to focus on the lift and i fire myself up. Then I take the headphones off, put my straps up, chalk the hand, and take the huge wiff of some nose tork and by then I'm ready to put my head through a wall

hehehe :)

I found a little write up on this that I thought you guys might find interesting:

Maximal strength and cortisol responses to psyching-up during the squat exercise.

McGuigan MR, Ghiagiarelli J, Tod D.

We studied the effect of psyching-up on one-repetition maximum (1-RM) performance and salivary cortisol responses during the squat exercise. Ten men (age 21.6+/-1.4 years; mean+/-s) and ten women (age 22.4+/-2.8 years) with weight training experience of 4.5+/-2.0 years participated in this study. One-repetition maximum squats were performed on a Smith machine during each of two different intervention conditions that were counterbalanced and consisted of a free choice psych-up and a cognitive distraction. Saliva samples were obtained at the beginning of each test session and immediately after the final 1-RM attempt. No significant difference in 1-RM was identified between psyching-up (104+/-50 kg) and cognitive distraction (106+/-52 kg). Performing a 1-RM in the squat exercise significantly increased salivary cortisol concentrations during both conditions (P<0.05). There was no significant difference in salivary cortisol responses between conditions. These results suggest that psyching-up does not increase 1-RM performance during the squat exercise in strength-trained individuals.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
07-24-2009, 10:44 AM
I just need the music to get me going.

Sistersteel
07-24-2009, 10:48 AM
I just need the music to get me going.

Try radio silence. :)

The less fuss the better.

crashcrew56
07-24-2009, 11:49 AM
hehehe :)

I found a little write up on this that I thought you guys might find interesting:

Maximal strength and cortisol responses to psyching-up during the squat exercise.

McGuigan MR, Ghiagiarelli J, Tod D.

We studied the effect of psyching-up on one-repetition maximum (1-RM) performance and salivary cortisol responses during the squat exercise. Ten men (age 21.6+/-1.4 years; mean+/-s) and ten women (age 22.4+/-2.8 years) with weight training experience of 4.5+/-2.0 years participated in this study. One-repetition maximum squats were performed on a Smith machine during each of two different intervention conditions that were counterbalanced and consisted of a free choice psych-up and a cognitive distraction. Saliva samples were obtained at the beginning of each test session and immediately after the final 1-RM attempt. No significant difference in 1-RM was identified between psyching-up (104+/-50 kg) and cognitive distraction (106+/-52 kg). Performing a 1-RM in the squat exercise significantly increased salivary cortisol concentrations during both conditions (P<0.05). There was no significant difference in salivary cortisol responses between conditions. These results suggest that psyching-up does not increase 1-RM performance during the squat exercise in strength-trained individuals.

Interesting study, I think the most important thing for me is focus more than being "psyched up"

robert da strongman
07-24-2009, 12:35 PM
you expend too much energy when "psyching up"

of course the more technical the lift the less agitation you want. focus is priority for that.

stones...are a good example. pure brute ugly strength. good idea to be pissed when lifting these.

crashcrew56
07-24-2009, 12:59 PM
T-Nation had an article talking about "combat mindset" during heavy lifts I think I'm going ot find it and post it up, I'm exatly sure what they are talking about with the "combat mindset" because the most thing in combat is to not get too worked up and stay calm

crashcrew56
07-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Actually it's a really good article, I suggest reading it, it's a long one but a good one. It starts off with a lot of backround information, I suggest reading it all, after reading that I'm going to try a few different ways to approach the platform

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/combat_psychology_and_sports_performance

BK
07-24-2009, 10:09 PM
I will usually envision the movement in my head while pacing back and forth, "cool fire" if you will. Also, it depends if it is a competition or training. Usually in training I am about as fired up as a snail, but in competition, any little cue will set me off and get my dander up. I used to rant and rave before a movement but found out alot of times I would use shitty technique or waste alot of energy. Plus, if you can't get fired up at a meet then you should'nt be competing anyway.

robert da strongman
07-24-2009, 10:11 PM
I will usually envision the movement in my head while pacing back and forth, "cool fire" if you will. Also, it depends if it is a competition or training. Usually in training I am about as fired up as a snail, but in competition, any little cue will set me off and get my dander up. I used to rant and rave before a movement but found out alot of times I would use shitty technique or waste alot of energy. Plus, if you can't get fired up at a meet then you should'nt be competing anyway.

i prefer....

http://clarkbw.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/blue-steel.png

BrotherIron
07-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Call me boring but I clear my mind and envision myself making the lift. Than I walk up and squat it or pull it.

buckimscl
07-28-2009, 08:43 AM
There is a dark room/yoga/martial arts room @ my gym that is seldom used and I typically go in there by myself and focus on the lift I am about to attempt.

marcusmucheck
07-28-2009, 09:31 AM
I have/had a training partner that would gently bite the bar.

lilfella
07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
I have/had a training partner that would gently bite the bar.
that is a new one:eek:

tjoe
07-30-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't get very fired up. My training partner yells at me because I tend to yawn before big lifts... weird... but it got me this far.