PDA

View Full Version : How Deep is your Squat?

Sistersteel
07-24-2009, 02:53 AM
You hear it very often that partial or parallel squats are actually less taxing on the knees. In my experience, the deeper my squat the less problems I have with my knees. As long as my feet are pointed out and my knees are aligned with my feet when I squat, I rarely have anything to worry about and I squat almost on a daily basis, ass to the floor.

What is your take on squat depth?

SS

Frosty
07-24-2009, 02:58 AM
As deep as possible with good form! Higher depth wouldn't work the VMO as much which is really important for knee stability as well as good looking quads.

Rattbones
07-24-2009, 03:00 AM
It's hard to say, I can't see how low my ass is. But I break horizontal, I can tell when I have to push, I believe it's just when my ass goes under my knee level. When I was younger I would go as deep as I could and as heavy as I could but a few years ago I started getting soreness in my knees. I don't squat over 405 any more and I don't go as deep. No more soreness.

Sistersteel
07-24-2009, 03:23 AM
Results that have turned up in studies:

– Low bar squat produces greater hip extensor torques while high bar squats produced greater knee extensor torques

- Patella compressive force is greater as depth of squat increases

- Full squats distribute the load more equally between hip and knee, whereas the half squats put relatively more load on the hip
joint

- Trunk lean affects torque distribution inversely

- Low bar squats elicit greater contribution from the hamstrings, decreasing ACL strain, as well as shear and compressive knee forces

Sistersteel
07-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Chandler, TJ, Wilson, GD, & Stone, MH, The effect of the squat exercise on knee stability. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 21(3), 1989.

Past studies have produced conflicting results as to the effect of squat exercises on knee stability. One hundred male and female college students were measured using a knee ligament arthrometer on nine tests of knee stability. Over an 8-wk training program, full or half squats did not consistently affect knee stability compared to non-squatting controls. To measure the effect of long-term squat training 27 male powerlifters (14 Elite or Master Class) and 28 male weightlifters (8 Elite or Master Class) were measured on the same tests. Powerlifters were significantly tighter than controls on the anterior drawer at 90 degrees of knee flexion. Both powerlifters and weightlifters were significantly tighter than controls on the quadriceps active drawer at 90 degrees of knee flexion. Data on powerlifters and weightlifters were also analyzed by years of experience and skill level. No effect of squat training on knee stability was demonstrated in any of the groups tested.
--------

ESCAMILLA, R. F. Knee biomechanics of the dynamic squat exercise. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 33, No. 1, 2001, pp. 127-141.

Purpose: Because a strong and stable knee is paramount to an athlete's or patient's success, an understanding of knee biomechanics while performing the squat is helpful to therapists, trainers, sports medicine physicians, researchers, coaches, and athletes who are interested in closed kinetic chain exercises, knee rehabilitation, and training for sport. The purpose of this review was to examine knee biomechanics during the dynamic squat exercise.

Methods: Tibiofemoral shear and compressive forces, patellofemoral compressive force, knee muscle activity, and knee stability were reviewed and discussed relative to athletic performance, injury potential, and rehabilitation.

Results: Low to moderate posterior shear forces, restrained primarily by the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), were generated throughout the squat for all knee flexion angles. Low anterior shear forces, restrained primarily by the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), were generated between 0 and 60[degrees] knee flexion. Patellofemoral compressive forces and tibiofemoral compressive and shear forces progressively increased as the knees flexed and decreased as the knees extended, reaching peak values near maximum knee flexion. Hence, training the squat in the functional range between 0 and 50[degrees] knee flexion may be appropriate for many knee rehabilitation patients, because knee forces were minimum in the functional range. Quadriceps, hamstrings, and gastrocnemius activity generally increased as knee flexion increased, which supports athletes with healthy knees performing the parallel squat (thighs parallel to ground at maximum knee flexion) between 0 and 100[degrees] knee flexion. Furthermore, it was demonstrated that the parallel squat was not injurious to the healthy knee.

Conclusions: The squat was shown to be an effective exercise to employ during cruciate ligament or patellofemoral rehabilitation. For athletes with healthy knees, performing the parallel squat is recommended over the deep squat, because injury potential to the menisci and cruciate and collateral ligaments may increase with the deep squat. The squat does not compromise knee stability, and can enhance stability if performed correctly. Finally, the squat can be effective in developing hip, knee, and ankle musculature, because moderate to high quadriceps, hamstrings, and gastrocnemius activity were produced during the squat.

exit2010
07-24-2009, 10:00 AM
ass to heals.

crashcrew56
07-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I squat slightly below parellel, thanks to the politics between the APF and the team I'm on, it's almost required to go below parellel to get white lights for a good squat

jaydhee1
07-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Hammies on calves. The education community says not to go below parallel but they also say that you need to eat 150g of carbs everyday to be able to pay attention.

robert da strongman
07-24-2009, 03:23 PM
parallel

Squid
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
For narrow stance I go ass to the grass but, if I go wide I find I can manage about 1-1.5ft off the floor

Dan Rek
07-24-2009, 04:31 PM
When my feet are about shoulder width apart I go down until the TOPS of my quads are parallel to the floor, which is about a half a foot off the ground, if I go wider I can go lower, I usually don't feel any pain in my knee's for either stance tho

Squats are fun!!

BrotherIron
07-24-2009, 06:52 PM
I always go below parallel.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
07-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Rock bottom for me.

Mudpro69
07-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Flexability issues. Parallel for now....

BrotherIron
07-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Flexability issues. Parallel for now....

If you have flexibility issues you may want to duck your feet (turn them out a bit). This will open your pelvic region allowing your depth to increase.

Doing Overhead squats is an exercise which will also work on increasing your flexibility.

tjoe
07-24-2009, 09:09 PM
at the very LEAST I hit parallel... typically lower though :)

BK
07-24-2009, 10:20 PM
When I am wearing my Otomix lifting shoes, scrunchy socks and spandex, I will do half rep squats with 225 lbs and wear a leather belt and knee wraps.:p

When I am wearing my Chucks or w-lifting shoes it is parrallel or lower.

robert da strongman
07-24-2009, 10:27 PM
When I am wearing my Otomix lifting shoes, scrunchy socks and spandex, I will do half rep squats with 225 lbs and wear a leather belt and knee wraps.:p

When I am wearing my Chucks or w-lifting shoes it is parrallel or lower.

is it the striped singlet spandex?

BrotherIron
07-24-2009, 11:50 PM
is it the striped singlet spandex?

What about the fanny pack??? BK, you sporting the black leather fanny pack??? lol

Jello
07-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Ass to the Grass. I change up foot position and ROM frequently, but get the best results when I go as deep as possible.

bigcountry86
07-24-2009, 11:54 PM
You hear it very often that partial or parallel squats are actually less taxing on the knees. In my experience, the deeper my squat the less problems I have with my knees. As long as my feet are pointed out and my knees are aligned with my feet when I squat, I rarely have anything to worry about and I squat almost on a daily basis, ass to the floor.

SS

I play football so i do full range of motions. i try and touch the ground

BK
07-25-2009, 12:14 AM
What about the fanny pack??? BK, you sporting the black leather fanny pack??? lol
Actually my spandex is hot pink and yes, I forgot about my fanny pack. Thats where i keep my Discman CD player, and my cell phone for texting in between sets.

Shawn Bellon
07-25-2009, 12:18 AM

SS

IPF depth. Crease of hip below the top of the knee. :)

BrotherIron
07-25-2009, 12:27 AM
actually my spandex is hot pink and yes, i forgot about my fanny pack. Thats where i keep my discman cd player, and my cell phone for texting in between sets.

lmao!!!!!!!!

JW
07-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Ass in the grass everytime!

HammerStrength12
07-26-2009, 12:26 PM
High bar and front squats I always go as deep as possible. I can't literally touch my atg, but I definitely go far beyond parallel. More like hamstrings touching calves. The narrow stance and upright back makes going all the way down pretty easy.

For low bar powerlifting style squats, I usually go below parallel, albeit not as much as I used to. When I work with heavier loads, I tend to really lean forward too much when I low bar squat past parallel so recently I've been focusing on just getting to parallel. The torque on the lower back is just too much for me sometimes.

Finally, for box squats depth isn't my primary concern, it's all about sitting back and not letting the knees move forward. I usually squat onto a 12 inch box, but I like going higher from time to time.

I like the observations SS pointed out. They're definitely important factors to consider when it comes to depth, stance, what type of squat you use, etc..

HammerStrength12
07-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Doing Overhead squats is an exercise which will also work on increasing your flexibility.

I agree, these really helped me a lot.

Lately though, they've been killing my wrists to the point where I'm in pain for the next few days. Anyone got any advice?

robert da strongman
07-26-2009, 08:13 PM
ducked out my feet today and got my ass almost to the grass.
warmed up with leg presses

BrotherIron
07-26-2009, 08:20 PM
I agree, these really helped me a lot.

Lately though, they've been killing my wrists to the point where I'm in pain for the next few days. Anyone got any advice?

You could do drop snatches which will still help work on flexibility and not be so harsh on your wrists.

crashcrew56
07-26-2009, 08:21 PM
I have no problem with depth, my problem is that I'm always going too deep

BrotherIron
07-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I have no problem with depth, my problem is that I'm always going too deep

Well than you should switch to Oly Lifting bud. lol

You can never go to deep with Oly Lifting. Than SS and I would have another to add to the group.

buckimscl
07-26-2009, 10:05 PM
I go slightly below parallel.

HammerStrength12
07-26-2009, 10:36 PM
You could do drop snatches which will still help work on flexibility and not be so harsh on your wrists.

Cool thanks, I'll give it a try. It's really frustrating cuz my overhead squat actually is pretty decent, but I'm literally in agony for days afterwards.

crashcrew56
07-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Cool thanks, I'll give it a try. It's really frustrating cuz my overhead squat actually is pretty decent, but I'm literally in agony for days afterwards.

Do you wear wrist wraps?

lilfella
07-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Sorry to sound like an idiot, but an overhead squat is squatting with arms in military press postition? I am guessing this is to help with olympic lifts? I have no idea so please help me out.

BrotherIron
07-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Sorry to sound like an idiot, but an overhead squat is squatting with arms in military press postition? I am guessing this is to help with olympic lifts? I have no idea so please help me out.

Most do it with a snatch grip, meaning the hands are much farther apart than if you were military pressing. Some do it with a clean grip which would be basically a military press grip.

This exercise helps with much more than just Oly Lifts. It has alot of carryover strength in many exercises.

fitmomma3
07-27-2009, 06:52 AM
I break 90 slightly and back up I have tried and tried and tried ass to ankles and I NEVER feel like I have good stability, balance, or could every go significantly heavy going down that far. That's just one of those things I just can't/won't do! I'm actually a little jealous of those that can lol... I'm shorter but my limbs are long (I never quite grew into my legs lol)

toddbz
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Most do it with a snatch grip, meaning the hands are much farther apart than if you were military pressing. Some do it with a clean grip which would be basically a military press grip.

This exercise helps with much more than just Oly Lifts. It has alot of carryover strength in many exercises.

I've always found that if my overhead squat was good then my back or front squat form was money. I always warm up for 'normal' squats with at least one set of empty bar overheads. Just gets your balance good to go.
Now if I just had the stones to do a real snatch ;)

BrotherIron
07-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I've always found that if my overhead squat was good then my back or front squat form was money. I always warm up for 'normal' squats with at least one set of empty bar overheads. Just gets your balance good to go.
Now if I just had the stones to do a real snatch ;)

Come on down to Coffee's and train with SS and Me. We'll have ya snatching insane weights in no time.

BrotherIron
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I break 90 slightly and back up I have tried and tried and tried ass to ankles and I NEVER feel like I have good stability, balance, or could every go significantly heavy going down that far. That's just one of those things I just can't/won't do! I'm actually a little jealous of those that can lol... I'm shorter but my limbs are long (I never quite grew into my legs lol)

Perhaps it's your shoes which is putting a hamper on your ass to grass squating. Alot of people don't realize how much shoes can put a damper on it. Oly Shoes are by far the most stable pair of shoes to squat in and also have a bit of a heal which helps to make up for lack of flexibilty and allows the individual to squat deeper.

Also, work on your flexibility by doing OH Squats like we've been talking about and being sure to really stretch well before you begin training.

toddbz
07-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Come on down to Coffee's and train with SS and Me. We'll have ya snatching insane weights in no time.

I like the sound of 'insane weights' ;)

I take it Coffee's isn't some new fangled Starbucks? lol

BrotherIron
07-27-2009, 08:03 PM
I like the sound of 'insane weights' ;)

I take it Coffee's isn't some new fangled Starbucks? lol

Coffee's is a private Oly Lifting/PL/SM gym which is run by no other than John Coffee himself.

You gotta take a trip out here and train with the Team. We have 3 or so athletes going to Worlds this year which is HUGE in world of Oly Lifting. Most feel Worlds is bigger than the Olympics since Worlds is more difficult to qualify for.

The Big Sexy
07-27-2009, 08:04 PM
I'd like to see a video of someone actually touching their ass on the floor, with some weight on the bar, for more than a couple reps.

robert da strongman
07-27-2009, 08:08 PM
I'd like to see a video of someone actually touching their ass on the floor, with some weight on the bar, for more than a couple reps.

watch the chinese women. probably do more than most men here...including you

BrotherIron
07-27-2009, 08:21 PM

Yes, yes they do. It's sickening to see what they can front squat let alone what they can back squat.

You should watch them Clean & Jerk. They squat the weight twice b/c many of them do a squat jerk. Talk about crazy strong and fearless.

The Big Sexy
07-28-2009, 12:22 PM

I can't squat for shit and I never claimed to go ATF... although I've been on the forums and I'd say about 75% of all squatters claim to do ATF squats- meaning, they actually and physically touch their ass to the floor... which, I absolutely do not believe, not for one second.

I'm honest... I can squat about 315 for maybe 6 or 7... if I have a spotter, maybe I can eek out 1 or 2 more. I might get to parallel or I might be a smidge above it. But I'm pretty sure, unless through some miracle on a rep, I ever drop BELOW parallel.

Now - I've seen more than several people on this very thread say they they go ATF - I was just curious if they had a video of them performing this feat.

robert da strongman
07-28-2009, 12:43 PM
I can't squat for shit and I never claimed to go ATF... although I've been on the forums and I'd say about 75% of all squatters claim to do ATF squats- meaning, they actually and physically touch their ass to the floor... which, I absolutely do not believe, not for one second.

I'm honest... I can squat about 315 for maybe 6 or 7... if I have a spotter, maybe I can eek out 1 or 2 more. I might get to parallel or I might be a smidge above it. But I'm pretty sure, unless through some miracle on a rep, I ever drop BELOW parallel.

Now - I've seen more than several people on this very thread say they they go ATF - I was just curious if they had a video of them performing this feat.

who on this thread? name names? then we can have a challenge. oh and dont forget the claims here come from oly and powerlifters.
and you should try ATG squats. the quads are involved along with the glutes. much more than just a parallel squat.

The Big Sexy
07-28-2009, 01:27 PM
who on this thread? name names? then we can have a challenge. oh and dont forget the claims here come from oly and powerlifters.
and you should try ATG squats. the quads are involved along with the glutes. much more than just a parallel squat.

Ass in the grass everytime!

I play football so i do full range of motions. i try and touch the ground

Ass to the Grass. I change up foot position and ROM frequently, but get the best results when I go as deep as possible.

Rock bottom for me.

While no one actually says Ass to FLOOR - I'm assuming that grass is actually regular grass and a mere inch or so off the ground at best. Rock bottom, I would imagine, isn't 3-4" below parallel - but actually the bottom you could ever possibly go - therefore, the ground.

the one dude says he TRIES - and I can respect that - because it can be implied that he never really does it and maybe only gets to parallel - but tries to go to the floor.

I would like to see - someone actually touching their ass on the floor with a squat and not a Chinese squatter who is 4'6" - a regular poster from these forums who claims to go ATF or Ass to Grass or Rock Bottom...

Just saying - if you claim it - you should be able to post up or shut up yeah???

The Big Sexy
07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
ass to heals.

This would be impressive too - because your heels are touching the ground, meaning your ass would be about 1/2 inch if not touching the ground.

Mr X
07-28-2009, 01:31 PM
zHnZS8mAKGM

The Big Sexy
07-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Believe me - I DO try to go as deep as I can... I don't attempt to just do baby squats. I get to about parallel and sometimes, If I'm feeling good - I can get to a little below parallel - usually on the heavier weights (if that makes sense)

I don't think I can even touch my ass on the floor without falling over in a squat stance with NO bar on my back LOL - I can admit that. I have had a knee injury (tore a muscle in the back of my knee) makes my "power" very week when my calf is back against my hamstring (stretching can be a bear sometimes)

I know my limitations, and I train either around them or work with them the best I can. But I'm always honest with my training, numbers, and ROM - and if the people here can actually do what they say, then I absolutely will apologize, bow my head and say I'm a dumbass for ever doubting them.

EDIT - even before the knee injury I couldn't touch my ass to the ground... just to clarify...

BrotherIron
07-28-2009, 01:40 PM

I would say most bodybuilders have a misconception of ass to floor squatting. This is just from what I have seen over the years. They claim they go all the way down when in fact if they hit even parallel it's quite the accomplishment.

But, like what Rob said you have to remember you're not dealing with bodybuilders in this section. You're dealing with Oly Lifters which if you're ass don't hit your ankles the coach doesn't count it. Also if you don't squat that deep you'll never hit those insane totals which the Eastern Europeans and Chinese accumulate. You'll never be able to get under the weight when you're second pull just isn't enough to get the bar traveling far enough. Just go to an Oly Meet and witness it firsthand.

You're talking to PLers who vary the distance traveled when they squat, their ROM, to reach that superhuman amount and the illustrious elite status and world ranking (if they don't already have it). The PLers I know squat ass to floor at times, parellel, and even a bit above to keep increasing there totals.

Strongmen who work till their muscles till they're beyong failure but their mind keeps them going. Pushing them to continue and not give up.

People in here have nothing to embelish about. No inflated ego's and nothing to prove to one another. We're a brotherhood in here and all help each other to attain whatever goal is set.

If someone in this section says they squats ass to floor, I take it as the gospel.

The Big Sexy
07-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Is everyone in this forum an elite powerlifter or strong man (I'm not sure what that means - is it like a pro?)

Listen - I'm not trying to come in here all negative Nancy - but I've been to PL meets and I don't think I've ever seen a guys ASS physically TOUCH the floor. EVER. I mean - they get down fucking deep - their hams are touching their quads, but their ass is clearly 3-4" off the ground.

Now, if Ass to Grass squats means - Hams touching your calves and your ass isn't really touching the ground, at all, and you are 3-4" above the ground - then I retract everything I said and plead my ignorance (I'm a bodybuilder who's squat would probably make you giggle... )

BrotherIron
07-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Believe me - I DO try to go as deep as I can... I don't attempt to just do baby squats. I get to about parallel and sometimes, If I'm feeling good - I can get to a little below parallel - usually on the heavier weights (if that makes sense)

I don't think I can even touch my ass on the floor without falling over in a squat stance with NO bar on my back LOL - I can admit that. I have had a knee injury (tore a muscle in the back of my knee) makes my "power" very week when my calf is back against my hamstring (stretching can be a bear sometimes)

I know my limitations, and I train either around them or work with them the best I can. But I'm always honest with my training, numbers, and ROM - and if the people here can actually do what they say, then I absolutely will apologize, bow my head and say I'm a dumbass for ever doubting them.

EDIT - even before the knee injury I couldn't touch my ass to the ground... just to clarify...

Squatting A2F will actually help strengthen your knees. I have had total knee replacement on both legs (got someone elses knees) and part of my rehab was squatting A2F. Believe it or not, you apply more sheer force on the knee when you squat right above parallel. You transfer the stress placed on the knees to the hamstrings and hips the deeper you go in a squat.

Frosty
07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Squatting A2F will actually help strengthen your knees. I have had total knee replacement on both legs (got someone elses knees) and part of my rehab was squatting A2F. Believe it or not, you apply more sheer force on the knee when you squat right above parallel. You transfer the stress placed on the knees to the hamstrings and hips the deeper you go in a squat.

Deep squats also help strengthen the VMO which helps knee stability. Not to mention if you're a BBer it makes for an awesome tear drop :)

crashcrew56
07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
I actually think a lot of the people that posted on her about their squat depth arn't strength athletes

though like BrotherIron said most strength athletes arn't going to embelish their lifts on here, because there's always the record books to prove what we've done

The Big Sexy
07-28-2009, 02:03 PM

I can get a lot deeper on Front Squats - is there a reason for that? Also, they don't hurt my knees at all (not that regular squats HURT them - it feels like a flexibility issue - like they just won't GO that way) I do know I get a LOT deeper on my fronts.

Hey - if you will come out here and say people are actually going down and touching their ass on the ground, I'll take you word for it. It's just I'd like to see regular people doing it - not the most elite Chinese athletes ya know? If someone claimed they could run the 100m dash in 9.7 seconds - I wouldn't want to see a video of Usain Bolt to prove it. :) haha

Frosty
07-28-2009, 02:27 PM
I actually think a lot of the people that posted on her about their squat depth arn't strength athletes

Olympic lifters are strength athletes and they use a ton of deep squats... :confused:

babybull
07-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Im with TBS on this one!

Ive worked out for 8 years now and been to plenty of gyms...powerlifting, OLY lifting, bodybuilding, Ive seen it all. I have never saw anyone hit the floor with their ass and to be honest Im not sure it is physically possible on most frames.

I know that most of the taller guys will have a harder time depending on thier structures. Im 6'2" and I have a long ass torso....free bar squats for me can make it maybe 2-3" below what I consider parralell...if I go further Im falling backwards! I did compete in powerlifting for a while so I do know what a MEET squat looks and feels like. There arent many guys/gals that even hit 2" ABOVER parallel, let alone BELOW it!

Now that Im trying more of a bodybuilding approach I am squatting with a narrow stance and feet outwards. On a good day with some cheap briefs and a belt I can bang out 405 for 10 to parallel and I believe that is sufficient depth. Im also trying to emphasis my quads so my training might be a bit different than most. Of course squatting just to parallel for me hits my hammies and glutes plenty good!

So in short...it depends on your goals and what you are trying to accomplish. Im not sure going much deeper than parallel does you any good.

babybull
07-28-2009, 02:29 PM
dont mind my typing/spelling....I dont ever check it!

Frosty
07-28-2009, 02:31 PM
One thing is guys with huge legs just CAN'T physically squat very deep because the size of their hams, glutes, and calves (and fat!!) physically prevent the joint from flexing further (and it would be dangerous to the knee to try!). I've known big powerlifting dudes that squat as deep as possible and they're just a bit below parallel lol.

Squid
07-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Is everyone in this forum an elite powerlifter or strong man (I'm not sure what that means - is it like a pro?)

To total Elite would be the equivalent of pro yes, it is to total above a certain weight in each weight class for example a 308 has to reach either 2000 or 2200 total in single ply (I can't remember which), although i believe each elite total varies on the ply, weightclass and it might on federation
to answer your question I think one or two of us may have reached elite I think a few are close

BrotherIron
07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Im with TBS on this one!

Ive worked out for 8 years now and been to plenty of gyms...powerlifting, OLY lifting, bodybuilding, Ive seen it all. I have never saw anyone hit the floor with their ass and to be honest Im not sure it is physically possible on most frames.

I know that most of the taller guys will have a harder time depending on thier structures. Im 6'2" and I have a long ass torso....free bar squats for me can make it maybe 2-3" below what I consider parralell...if I go further Im falling backwards! I did compete in powerlifting for a while so I do know what a MEET squat looks and feels like. There arent many guys/gals that even hit 2" ABOVER parallel, let alone BELOW it!

Now that Im trying more of a bodybuilding approach I am squatting with a narrow stance and feet outwards. On a good day with some cheap briefs and a belt I can bang out 405 for 10 to parallel and I believe that is sufficient depth. Im also trying to emphasis my quads so my training might be a bit different than most. Of course squatting just to parallel for me hits my hammies and glutes plenty good!

So in short...it depends on your goals and what you are trying to accomplish. Im not sure going much deeper than parallel does you any good.

What Oly Center were you at bud? There are only a handful across the entire US. All Oly liters squat that deep b/c if you don't you'll never get under the bar to complete the lifts (be it s snatch or a c&j) when working with maximal weight. If you can't get under the bar you'll fail miserably everytime and therefore never progress.

robert da strongman
07-28-2009, 03:01 PM
I can get a lot deeper on Front Squats - is there a reason for that? Also, they don't hurt my knees at all (not that regular squats HURT them - it feels like a flexibility issue - like they just won't GO that way) I do know I get a LOT deeper on my fronts.

Hey - if you will come out here and say people are actually going down and touching their ass on the ground, I'll take you word for it. It's just I'd like to see regular people doing it - not the most elite Chinese athletes ya know? If someone claimed they could run the 100m dash in 9.7 seconds - I wouldn't want to see a video of Usain Bolt to prove it. :) haha

front squats---easier to go deep. going to guess its the bar position and an upright back. i can get deeper on those than back squats.

regular gym rats almost have no need to go ass to grass.

BrotherIron
07-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Here are some pics of some of the Oly Lifters who competed at the Pan-Ams. If you look at the girl from Argentina in the second reply, 3rd pic you'll see an example of ass to the floor. Her hams are touching her calves completely.

Pan-American Games - RX Muscle Forums

Also, don't think that the others just didn't go as low. I was just unable to get some of the shots when they were at the lowest postion of the squat. I have over 700 images and I can find more examples if you want. The speed at which an Oly lifter performs their lifts is extremely fast. To fast to actually think about the movement while preforming it b/c the bar travels faster than the brain can think.

BrotherIron
07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
front squats---easier to go deep. going to guess its the bar position and an upright back. i can get deeper on those than back squats.

regular gym rats almost have no need to go ass to grass.

That is exactly what it is. It's the mechanics of the movement which allows you to front squat deeper (easier) than back squatting.

You have to have incredibly flexible hips and ankles to get your hams to touch your calves when back squatting. This is something most people lack. You can work on it by doing overhead squats, drop snatches, squats w/ snatch grip + press, etc. All these will increase your flexibility allowing you to squat deeper. These will also help work on increasing the flexibilty in your shoulders to.

I don't know if you've ever tried to perform an overhead squat but if you haven't try it sometime. It's very difficult to keep the bar up and behind your head when squatting (even if you only go to parallel) while using something as light as a bar.

Another thing will that help you squat deeper is to get some heels on your shoes. If you have ever looked at Oly Weightlifting Shoes, they have a 1"-1.5" heel to help change the angle of the squat to allow the lifter to go lower in the movment. You can duplicate this somewhat by placing a 2.5lb plate or a 1kg plate under your heel while squatting.

Ducking your feet opens the pelvic region and also helps with the inflexibility issue.

And don't forget about stretching. This is something easily overlooked but the benefits are vast and quickly noticed.

babybull
07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
What Oly Center were you at bud? There are only a handful across the entire US. All Oly liters squat that deep b/c if you don't you'll never get under the bar to complete the lifts (be it s snatch or a c&j) when working with maximal weight. If you can't get under the bar you'll fail miserably everytime and therefore never progress.

Im sorry if I came across as going to an OLY gym....I just meant Ive been around people lifting OLY style. I know they squat deep....but they dont touch the floor with their asses...atleast not the ones I have saw lift.

Im not against squating deep....Im just saying that most of the people that say they squat DEEP barely make parallel..just an observation Ive made.

robert da strongman
07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
That is exactly what it is. It's the mechanics of the movement which allows you to front squat deeper (easier) than back squatting.

You have to have incredibly flexible hips and ankles to get your hams to touch your calves when back squatting. This is something most people lack. You can work on it by doing overhead squats, drop snatches, squats w/ snatch grip + press, etc. All these will increase your flexibility allowing you to squat deeper. These will also help work on increasing the flexibilty in your shoulders to.

I don't know if you've ever tried to perform an overhead squat but if you haven't try it sometime. It's very difficult to keep the bar up and behind your head when squatting (even if you only go to parallel) while using something as light as a bar.

Another thing will that help you squat deeper is to get some heels on your shoes. If you have ever looked at Oly Weightlifting Shoes, they have a 1"-1.5" heel to help change the angle of the squat to allow the lifter to go lower in the movment. You can duplicate this somewhat by placing a 2.5lb plate or a 1kg plate under your heel while squatting.

Ducking your feet opens the pelvic region and also helps with the inflexibility issue.

And don't forget about stretching. This is something easily overlooked but the benefits are vast and quickly noticed.

just found out sunday the proper foot position for me....ducked out
have to say the heel helps tons with a good position.

robert da strongman
07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Im sorry if I came across as going to an OLY gym....I just meant Ive been around people lifting OLY style. I know they squat deep....but they dont touch the floor with their asses...atleast not the ones I have saw lift.

Im not against squating deep....Im just saying that most of the people that say they squat DEEP barely make parallel..just an observation Ive made.

most people have no clue how to squat. throw in a complicated lift like a snatch and they are lost

toddbz
07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Coffee's is a private Oly Lifting/PL/SM gym which is run by no other than John Coffee himself.

You gotta take a trip out here and train with the Team. We have 3 or so athletes going to Worlds this year which is HUGE in world of Oly Lifting. Most feel Worlds is bigger than the Olympics since Worlds is more difficult to qualify for.

Oh no shit!!
The wife and I were talking about taking a trip to the East Coast here before to long. Don't see why Hotlanta can't be on the docket.

You guys have a ton of top notch athletes there! Geez!

BrotherIron
07-28-2009, 03:37 PM
just found out sunday the proper foot position for me....ducked out
have to say the heel helps tons with a good position.

Did you get some Oly Lifting Shoes? There worth their weight in gold imho. Shouldn't train legs without them.

I squat with my feet ducked out a bit to help me get lower.

robert da strongman
07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Did you get some Oly Lifting Shoes? There worth their weight in gold imho. Shouldn't train legs without them.

I squat with my feet ducked out a bit to help me get lower.

ironwork 2
i train my deads with them too.

BrotherIron
07-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Oh no shit!!
The wife and I were talking about taking a trip to the East Coast here before to long. Don't see why Hotlanta can't be on the docket.

You guys have a ton of top notch athletes there! Geez!

Def come on by and train with us. SS and I are trying to get Rob to come up and lift with us sometime this year.

robert da strongman
07-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Def come on by and train with us. SS and I are trying to get Rob to come up and lift with us sometime this year.

we could have an RX party!

BrotherIron
07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
ironwork 2

I knew it, lol.

It's like having a revelation once you start squatting with Oly Shoes.

toddbz
07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
ironwork 2

Really deads? What was your logic behind that one? I was always under the impression that lower to the ground was better with deads

we could have an RX party!

Rob's buying the beer right?

BrotherIron
07-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah I personally don't use Oly Shoes with my deads. Would feel like I'm a bit forward but I know plenty of people who do. Everyone on Team Coffee's does their deads that way to help build motor pathways for the snatch and c&j.

robert da strongman
07-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Really deads? What was your logic behind that one? I was always under the impression that lower to the ground was better with deads

Rob's buying the beer right?

ok getting beer!

Yeah I personally don't use Oly Shoes with my deads. Would feel like I'm a bit forward but I know plenty of people who do. Everyone on Team Coffee's does their deads that way to help build motor pathways for the snatch and c&j.

on the deads....the heel will activate more quads for you deads.

toddbz
07-28-2009, 03:56 PM

Oh I can definitely see it for carry over purposes.

I know that squating for me in flat shoes (Pumas) would just wreak havoc on my hip flexors. A bit of heel and all the pressure was gone and I had so much more power out of the hole.

toddbz
07-28-2009, 03:57 PM
ok getting beer!

on the deads....the heel will activate more quads for you deads.

Are you calling me a cheap date!?

But does it take some of the glute out of it?

robert da strongman
07-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Are you calling me a cheap date!?

But does it take some of the glute out of it?

only if you like PBR.

have to say i still feel the glutes. the shoes make me drive more through my heels so i get a better pull.

toddbz
07-28-2009, 04:04 PM
only if you like PBR.

have to say i still feel the glutes. the shoes make me drive more through my heels so i get a better pull.

Ha! I actually have 2 buddies that are in the PBR! They're mens men ;)

Interesting. May have to put on the bowling shoes and give it a shot.

robert da strongman
07-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Ha! I actually have 2 buddies that are in the PBR! They're mens men ;)

Interesting. May have to put on the bowling shoes and give it a shot.

haha i meant pabst blue ribbon, though i watch bull riding.

toddbz
07-28-2009, 04:17 PM
haha i meant pabst blue ribbon, though i watch bull riding.

Oh well that to ;)