PDA

View Full Version : my twist on GVT

tjoe
02-09-2009, 09:21 PM
just something I like doing once in a while (usually on the big 3):
the big complaint on GVT is that you have to stay pretty light to get 10 x 10 with a time restraint in between sets. So what I have done is drop the sets to 3 reps (still 10 sets) and up the weight. Obviously with no regard for time between sets. Sometimes this 10 sets would take me 45 minutes plus... but it is great for a change of pace. I use a weight that I could get maybe 5-7 reps with if I went all out on 1 set.
So when you are finished you have done 30 reps with a weight that you would normally only get 10ish with. That is some pretty good volume with that type of weight.
Of course this is not something I would do all the time but it is nice for a change of pace. Next time you are trying to break through a strength plateau or just breaking up a routine, give it a try!

red barraca
02-09-2009, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=tjoe;2207]just something I like doing once in a while (usually on the big 3):
the big complaint on GVT is that you have to stay pretty light to get 10 x 10 with a time restraint in between sets. So what I have done is drop the sets to 3 reps (still 10 sets) and up the weight. Obviously with no regard for time between sets. Sometimes this 10 sets would take me 45 minutes plus... but it is great for a change of pace. I use a weight that I could get maybe 5-7 reps with if I went all out on 1 set.
So when you are finished you have done 30 reps with a weight that you would normally only get 10ish with. That is some pretty good volume with that type of weight.
Of course this is not something I would do all the time but it is nice for a change of pace. Next time you are trying to break through a strength plateau or just breaking up a routine, give it a try![/QUSOUNDS GREAT BROTHER,TRY FST-7,CHANGE IS GOOD,MAN I KNOW