PDA

View Full Version : How to Increase Your Squat

Squid
07-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Due to a previous thread by our own Sistersteel "34 Ways To Increase Your Deadlift" and the way it helped me immensly I decided it would be beneficial to place all of my knowledge into several threads.

Perfect Your Technique

1. Keep a tight core - to keep your lowerback safer

2. Strengthen the posterior chain - a point where the Spinal Erectors, Glutes and Hamstrings all Converge at the hips, The posterior chain is recognised to be a 'Power base', to strengthen it do Rack deadlifts, Good Mornings, Reverse Hypers, Kettlebell swings and Pullthroughs with a Tricep extension rope, A wide stanced Squat brings the posterior chain into play, Note: you may want to miss this point out because the posterior chain can be very easily overtrained

3. Improve Flexibility in the hip area - this will help you get lower

4. Get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It will show you proper form for many barbell exercises, such as The Squat, The Bench Press, The Deadlift, The Press, The Powerclean and a few assistance exercises

4. Squat More - The more you squat the more natural the movement will become to you and the better your technique will become

Increase Your Strength

5. Use The Westside Method - The Westside Method combines ME and DE lifting, by lifting with heavy singles and triples you will develop incredible increases in strength, however do not use it for more than three weeks at once when beginning because it is hugely taxing on the Neuro Pathways and Muscles

6. Squat in two styles - I do not advocate squatting wide for 10 reps but doing triples with a wide stance can strengthen the posterior chain for the same reasons as Point # 2

7. Find the right squat stance for you - shoulder width, slightly wider, feet 'ducked' out, feet straight it all depends on the person

Increase Your Speed

8. Use Bands - Bands help lifters develop faster starts and more powerful lockouts, they increase the amount of negative tension greatly and cause the lift to be overloaded

9. Use Chains - Chains add strength and speed to your lift, a chain is added to either end of the bar, at the bottom of the negative portion the bar is the lightest, throughout the positive portion of the lift they gradually add weight causing the upper portion of the lift to be overloaded, it adds power in the lockout and adds overall strength

10. Box Squats - use box squats in Heavy Triples and a Dynamic effort to strengthen the hips to allow exploding from the bottom point

Equipment

11. Wear a belt for heavy squats - It reduces the chances of injury

12. Use Wraps - They reduce the chance of knee damage and they strengthen the squat, I suggest only using them for a 1rep max

The Don'ts

13. Don't Squat in a running shoe - they reduce the power transmission to the floor and take away from the lift, buy Chuck Taylor Allstars they are cheap and very effective

14. Don't Use a mirror - It is only a one dimensional plane on information listen to your body

Anything you can add or want me to change PM me the information

Sistersteel
07-26-2009, 11:56 AM
I am going to make this a sticky! Thanks squid! :)