PDA

View Full Version : How To Increase Your Bench

Squid
07-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Let's Talk Bench

Perfect Your Technique

1. Always try to touch your chest - it is required in lifting meets and taxes the tricep more than a 1/2 rep

2. Use a regular grip - this is just my personal opinion the aptly name suicide grip should only be used for high rep lightweight sets

3. Get starting strength by Mark Rippetoe - The best investment you will make: it will teach you the technique on the major lifts.

4. Bench More - the more you bench the more natural the movement will feel

Increase Your Strength

5. Blast your Triceps - utilize any form of core tricep exercise such as close grip bench, JM presses, Tate presses, lying dumbbell extensions

6. Use a Max Effort Program - Heavy Singles and Moderate heavy triples will help increase the benchers strength greatly

7. Keep Your Feet on the Floor - This provides a base for the bench, this also comes under form I think

8. Use Chains - Chains add strength and speed to your lift, a chain is added to either end of the bar, at the bottom of the negative portion the bar is the lightest, throughout the positive portion of the lift they gradually add weight causing the upper portion of the lift to be overloaded, it adds power in the lockout and adds overall strength, it also helps with speed

Increase Your Speed

9. Use Bands - Bands help lifters develop faster starts and more powerful lockouts, they increase the amount of negative tension greatly and cause the lift to be overloaded

10. Bench Faster - apply more force to the bar in the positive portion of the movement

I struggled with points for this one I wrote it last night but then deleted it by accident, please any suggestions are welcome, PM me

crashcrew56
07-26-2009, 04:45 PM
I would disagree with #1, during my ME days I rarely ever touch my chest during a workout, it's almost always board presses, I do always touch my chest during DE days though

Squid
07-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Ah ofcourse I forgot boards, we don't have them at our gym you see