PDA

View Full Version : Shrugs & upright rows with back or shoulders?

TUFF
07-27-2009, 01:13 PM
on shoulder day i do upright rows and shrugs.

the workout chart at the gym shows bent rows, upright rows, and shrugs on back day. it says upright rows work the traps along with bent rows. it says upright rows don't work the shoulders.

what do you do?

Shadow
07-27-2009, 01:17 PM
I do both with shoulders. Upright rows work the middle delt and traps to varying degrees, depending on your grip width.

I think most people pair them with shoulders because a shoulder workout can be pretty quick, so it's easy/time efficient to just tack them on to the end of a shoulder workout. That area is also pretty warm by that time.

STACEYK
07-27-2009, 01:30 PM
I do them with shoulders as well.

badfish51581
07-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I use wide grip upright rows with shoulders for side delts and narrower grip for traps on my back day.

fitmomma3
07-27-2009, 04:57 PM
shoulders

Shawn Bellon
07-27-2009, 05:15 PM
I like a little of both. Primarily your recovery is most likely better suited to hit them on shoulder day. Back sesisons can already be alot in themselves. Although maybe some reverse flys from time to time would be ok with back.

BigJD69
07-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Some days I will train traps with back

TUFF
07-27-2009, 06:30 PM
if that is the case then back and shoulders should not be worked consecutive days. put some days between them?

robert da strongman
07-27-2009, 06:39 PM
back for shrugs

mr intensity
07-28-2009, 01:05 PM
on back days i do close grip chins, barbell rows, deadlifts, once when i m done with my deadlifts i can see my traps pumped which means they were stimulated by my previous exercises so i do shrugs after my deads.... and it has worked great for me

Casperd360
07-28-2009, 01:43 PM
on shoulder day i do upright rows and shrugs.

the workout chart at the gym shows bent rows, upright rows, and shrugs on back day. it says upright rows work the traps along with bent rows. it says upright rows don't work the shoulders.

what do you do?

I do them with shoulders. I end my shoulder routine with really wide grip upright rows and then go straight to barbell shrugs afterwards.

I saw a video with charles glass training someone and he explained the way wide grip upright rows hit the center deltoids. So thats how I do them. I will see if I cant find a link to that video.

Casperd360
07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut1.htm

Its a little more than half way through.

jeff_hardy
07-28-2009, 06:33 PM
this question will always go on. I would say its a personal choice. I train it with back b/c the traps are a part of the back and I have hit traps with deads and rows why not just finish them? i have never felt good when I did it with shoulders. When I do it with back, its already to go but with shoulders, the only movement that might hit traps are presses. Unless your shoulder day is all presses your not going to touch the traps. Altho, I've see people use their traps on laterals, really scary!