PDA

View Full Version : how do you build the upper chest at the collar bone?

TUFF
07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
i always do incline first but when i look at big guys their chest comes straight out from their collar bone. it looks like a shelf you could sit a drink on.

what exercises build this.?

ironwarrior22
07-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Any incline pressing movement, fly movement and to some degree, shoulder press.

mr intensity
07-28-2009, 01:00 PM
all incline movements

Shadow
07-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Any incline pressing movement, fly movement and to some degree, shoulder press.

^ this.

ANADROLicfreak
07-28-2009, 01:10 PM
inclines.lower the bar high on the chest.close to the throat.keep your chin tucked in.i find it helps alot.

dropshot001
07-28-2009, 03:08 PM
inclines. make sure that you are touching higher on the chest as opposed to lower

JohnnyStyles
07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Incline all tha way.

sifferman
07-28-2009, 03:26 PM
inclines.lower the bar high on the chest.close to the throat.keep your chin tucked in.i find it helps alot.

Just wondering by tucking the chin in is that have the same effect as tucking the chin in on dips. What does that do exactly? Any helpful tips is nice. I have subburn chest grows slowly. Thanks

ANADROLicfreak
07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
i find it takes stress off the shoulders.call me crazy but it seems to help.i think branch does it to.

sifferman
07-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks man any help is welcomed. I feel it in the shoulders a littel bit when i do shoulders

lilfella
07-30-2009, 07:47 PM
incline db press

freak
07-30-2009, 08:39 PM
masterbating with your elbow and wrist locked out so your shoulder and pec have to move your hand. the burn gets pretty intense.

JYD
08-04-2009, 10:55 AM
some of that is genetics but def use the incline movements using a variety of methods (incline presses w/ bb, db, machines, cables.. as well as a variety of grips. i agree w/ ironwarrior in that some shoulder press movements may also help to a certain extent... like underhanded shoulder presses on a near vertical bench

untamedsense
09-07-2009, 07:21 AM
It may sound wrong but front dumbbell laterals, hands in a neutral position, basically straight arms, from the side of the body to right in front of the face (literally go to centerline) or slightly higher (both together)...slight hold. Think of it as a low cable crossover. Add this to the incline movements...

White Goodman
09-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Strict BB inclines at a 30 degree andle. Heavy sets 6-8 reps.Lower to just below chin and press to full lockout. Alot of the videos of pros slinging 405 around encourage bad form. Keep your elbows out wide, not tucked which will automatically incorporate the lats(this is not a PL bench). Also, strict incline db presses at a 30 degree incline using higher, 10-12, reps. A forgotten, and potentially dangerous exercise, is the wide grip BB bench to the throat. Hits alot of pec fibers but rarely done as it compromises the shoulder.

bigdaddyd
09-07-2009, 09:44 AM
You mentioned feeling it in your shoulders too, I had that issue as well. Bring the bar down high on the chest during inclines, chin tucked as Freak said, but I also at the same time squeeze my shoulder blades together. since I have been doing that, I have had no shoulder pain and my upper chest is growing. Hope that helps

jeff_hardy
09-07-2009, 01:13 PM
for me its the high incline DB press. 45 degrees is a normal incline and 90 degrees is for shoulders. I try to angle it about 65 degrees or a couple of pins up from the buttom

GirlyMuscle
09-07-2009, 01:59 PM
BigDaddyd has a great point...shoulder blades need to be kind of together and flat against the bench with a slight arch in the lower back. Concentrate on the chest doing the work. Bob Chicerillo has a great video explaining that. Oh and inclines...all I've ever done for chest and I have thick upper pecs.

Diabetic Muscle
09-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Inclines in the smith have worked really well for me. But like anything else if your form isn't good then your not going to grow as fast.

devo09
09-11-2009, 10:28 AM
hey guyz :)
You can't "isolate" your upper pecs. Decline Press involves MORE pec AND just as much upper pec as incline press...so just build a huge chest

Also, does anyone have an example of someone with a huge chest but no "upper chest"? it seems like whenever this is said that the person just simply has a shitty chest

WELSHPOWER
09-13-2009, 10:47 AM
set the bench lil over 45 degrees, bring the bar all the way down to your collarbone no half rep shit full reps.

by the way keep your chin out of the way

jeff_hardy
09-13-2009, 02:16 PM
have you tried the neck press? its a bench press that you lower to the neck.

I visited a new gym on Friday and they have all these different angles on the inclines where you sit low and you bpress the bar high.

BLUEBARON75
09-13-2009, 02:28 PM
their all right. incline press is the best.

WELSHPOWER
09-13-2009, 02:28 PM

I visited a new gym on Friday and they have all these different angles on the inclines where you sit low and you bpress the bar high.

neck press is bad for the shoulder joint and for the neck if you fail on a press

jeff_hardy
09-14-2009, 08:58 PM
neck press is bad for the shoulder joint and for the neck if you fail on a press

true..thats with any type of press..thats why a person should get the feel of it and focus on the negatives

militantmuscle
09-15-2009, 10:25 PM
cable crossovers and higher angle db incline press/fly.

Dan_Manslaughter
09-15-2009, 10:29 PM

Neck press is the way to go. Just don't go heavy and there's no shoulder issues.

Ronnie Rowland
09-22-2009, 05:14 PM
For upper chest development use a 15-30 degree incline. The higher you go the more you work the front delts instead of the upper chest. A smith machine is best IMO.

Stop about an inch or two shy of touching the mid-upper chest to prevent anterior shoulder problems. Do not bring the bar down too high on the chest as it can cause rear delt pain.

I would avoid tucking in the chin as it MAY cause neck strain!