PDA

View Full Version : NPC Masters Nationals changes for 2009!

hifrommike65
02-20-2009, 04:10 AM
http://www.garyudit.com/npc_information.html

There have been some changes in the Masters Nationals this year.

IFBB PRO QUALIFIER
The following winners are eligible for a pro card in the IFBB: Overall winners of the Men Over 50, Men Over 60, Women’s Bodybuilding Over 35 and Over 45, Figure Over 35 and Over 45 and the top 2 placers in the Men’s Over 40 Overall.

The over 45 cards for women's bodybuilding & women's figure are new.

The 80s class for men is new. The 50s welter class for men is new (so there are now 6 classes for the men's 50s).

There will be a bikini division, but it isn't a pro qualifier as yet.

BIKINI – Teen (16-19), Collegiate (Up to age 25) and Over 35

Class A:Up to and including 5’4”Class B: Over 5’4”

Gary Udit's website says you can cross divisions, but the NPC has said that figure can't cross to bikini, so I'm assuming that's the case at the Masters show this year. I'll try to verify that.

Good luck preparing for the Masters Nats!

hifrommike65
02-27-2009, 06:59 AM
I verified with Gary Udit that the Masters Nationals IS a pro qualifier for the bikini division winner. His website had an incomplete listing & he changed it after I asked him about it.

Women cannot cross from bikini to figure in any NPC show this year, including this one.

Tim Wescott
03-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks Mike,hope to see you and GerryT. in Pittsburgh this year.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks for this. Man, with the bikini added in, its going to be a looong show, like an 8 hour prejudging and 5 hour finals.. I am not looking forward to that part since the superheavies usually go on last at night and start towards the beginning of the prejudging.. Should be a good show again though!

esplendido
03-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks for this. Man, with the bikini added in, its going to be a looong show, like an 8 hour prejudging and 5 hour finals.. I am not looking forward to that part since the superheavies usually go on last at night and start towards the beginning of the prejudging.. Should be a good show again though!
Men's prejudging is the evening before, and on finals night, the figure classes are after bbing, so you'll be going early enough.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Oh duh! Thanks, I forgot that part. Guess my carbs are low enough... lol.

thepump
03-19-2009, 05:07 PM
thanks and welcome

GerryT
03-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Tim, great to see you here. I'm hoping to get there and root for you and several other buds competing.

Far as I know Lance Johnson (over 40 lhw winner in 03 and 04) will be back, as will Eric Brugh (last year's over 40 shw class winner as well as over 40 NA shw winner), Rodney Roller and Brian Smith.

And besides Tim, Keith Grieser in over 50s. Also, there will be a men's over 80 division! Should be a terrific event!

HeavyDutyGuy
03-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Question. Where is everyone staying? I don't know if I want to stay in the event hotel again or not. It was kind of pricey, especially for what you got. The convenience was a plus.

GerryT
03-20-2009, 05:40 PM
It's true. I've stayed at other hotels, but last couple years stayed at he Sheraton. It is not cheap, but you can't beat the convenience. It would probably be more expensive taking taxis back and forth anyway.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Always the voice of reason aren't you? Lol. Good point. I reserved in case, but I THINK my wife wants to get a cheaper place accross the bridge and rent a car.. Were coming in early and she wants to see some of Pittsburgh this time. Can't blame her its her vacation. One of 2 anyway. We'll see. These things are so me me me anyway, I want part of it to be about someone else. You know how it is I'm sure.

hifrommike65
03-21-2009, 05:06 AM
A word of caution about having a car: sometimes there are other events (like games at the Pittsburgh Pirates stadium) that cause long backups for parking, because the same lots are used for those games. So plan for extra time if you are driving over to the Sheraton Square. Staying away from the hotel is unlikely to save you much money. Everything in the downtown area that's decent to stay in is pricey. I stayed in the Hampton Inn across downtown one year & not only was it a lot of trouble getting around, that area was at the edge of a ghetto & we were constantly worried about our car being broken into.

GerryT
03-21-2009, 03:44 PM
All good points. I can vouch for what Mike says about Hampton Inn. It was comfortable enough, but not in the best area.

I can understand that your wife wants a vacation, HDG. My wife liked to sightsee also. And there is quite a bit to see in Pittsburgh, and a lot of it in Station Square.

Nothing is perfect, just a matter of doing what will work best all the way around.

esplendido
03-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Fortunately (and for the salvation of our marriage), my wife competes in the same shows I do, so the contest venue works fine.

little d
03-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Hi new to this site, I am female and 51, will be doing the Masters Nationals this year for the first time and am very happy they decided to add a card for older females!

My question is.. Is there a site where I can view 2008 masters females pics to see what I am up against? Most site dont many if any female bodybuilder pics!

I will be staying at the host hotel and I had to order a fridge for the room or they dont come with it. I will also bring a hot plate for the special diet. I hear its cheaper than going out!

GerryT
03-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I would check with the hotel on the hotplate before bringing it. Last I know they are not allowed in the room. Being caught with one could result in being barred from the show and suspended from NPC. One year there was a room fire from a hotplate, which resulted in this rule.

The hotel does provide microwaves for the competitors' use in the ground floor restaurant.

Also, the host hotel provides clean but stained sheets and linens which the competitors are encouraged to use. The stains are from oil and pro tan from previous competitions. You could pay a cleaning fee if you stain any of the new linens.

As to photos of last year's competitors in BB and figure, check out

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/browse/index.php?mode=contest&eventcode=1267

Masters bikini will be a new event this year.

Good luck!

little d
03-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks GerryT... I was unaware of those rules. I dont want to be disqualified after dieting and making the trip! I also got to view those pics thanks!:)

HeavyDutyGuy
03-24-2009, 05:34 AM
Little d, Gerru knows his stuff. The rules are posted on Gary Udits website, and you get a set of instructions that detail it at the event. Don't bring a hot plate.do use the microwave. They also have an ongoing bodybuilder friendlt buffet- pricey, but all good and safe precontest fare. They have spray tan available, etc. PM if you have specific questions. I did thw show last year and going back this year.

GerryT
03-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Hope we can all see each other there. HD, which division and class were you in last year? I've been at that show since 2003. I have several friends competing this year, and it looks to be an amazing show once again.

little d
03-25-2009, 05:05 AM
This is all good info! nice to know about the buffet. I must have missed those rules. I will be going back know to read everything. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. It is kinda nerve racking doing a show out of state. I was thinking of flying out on Wed to make sure I stay relaxed. Thanks guys.

esplendido
03-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Gary doesn't provide pump-up equipment. You'll need to bring your own elastic bands or some sort of resistive equipment light enough to pack in your suitcase.

The buffet truly has everything you'll need to eat on a prep diet except whatever you'll carb up with. There is a little grocery store in the neighborhood above the hotel (and I mean "above".....up the cable car to the top of the bluff). You can get rice cakes, peanut butter, jelly, turkey, etc. from there and it's in walking distance from the top of the bluff.

Having everything you need for the contest at the hotel is very relaxing. No need to take a shuttle from the hotel to the contest site, comradery of all the athletes in one spot for days, the river walk and view of Pittsburg from the hotel....it's as good as it gets!

GerryT
03-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Agree, Es. The environment is very athlete friendly. And that buffet is one of the best I've eaten.

d, I would definitely advise flying in on Wednesday if you can. You will be more relaxed for the show. There is an early weigh in on Thursday evening if you want to get that out of the way. There is also a Friday morning weigh in for those that get in later or need another shot at making their contest weight. So if you weigh in Thursday, you have Friday to relax, practice your routine, etc. Women BB prejudge is Saturday morning.

I have a couple athlete I'll be consulting with Thursday evening. Look forward to seeing everyone.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Gerry, I'm a superheavy. Got a dismal 10 th last year at my first National show. (Whatever could go wrong, did go wrong, lol.) little D, traveling in on Weds is a good idea. That's what I did last year and will again, or even Tues if I can get away a day earlier. Traveling can cause problems, flying, changes in altitude, stress. Water retention was a huge problem for me, aggravated no doubt by the cross country flights- coming from AZ all the flights connect in some other city. The buffet does offer oatmeal by the pound, some killer baked yams, etc. Let me know and I can show you where things are. I have a couple friends doing the show, including Eric Brugh, last years superheavy winner. There's some great comraderie at this show and I can't wait. Should be a blast!

GerryT
03-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks, HD. Now I know who you are. Hope things go better this year. I've known Eric Brugh for several years and he is a great guy. We may have even spoken briefly last year. Happy to see Eric get the class. Maybe pro status this year! Best of luck.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks, HD. Now I know who you are. Hope things go better this year. I've known Eric Brugh for several years and he is a great guy. We may have even spoken briefly last year. Happy to see Eric get the class. Maybe pro status this year! Best of luck.

Thanks! Night and day so far. I made a few changes. My workouts are as intense as humanly possible, and I'm carrying considerably more mass, and much leaner this far out ( I don't intend to get outsized or outconditioned again). Here's a couple of recent (cell) pics. I really need to finish my film roll off, lol. I really didn't get to talk to Eric much last year, we were so busy. I hope we can chat this year, won't be as chaotic for me, having done it once. My wife can't wait to go back to Pittsburgh-She loved the food- restaurants nearby! Maybe we can all meet for dinner one night?

GerryT
03-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Can see the changes. Continued success. Good luck and go for it. I'll be in touch. Hope we can all get together.

Hear you re Pittsburgh. it's a great city. My late wife and I had a vacation there about 10 years ago and she also loved it.

little d
03-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys! It sounds very BB freindly! You all have given me much good info. I am looking forward to meeting everyone there! I will be going Wed, tickets are now paid for. I am very excited. We will be only staying till Sunday. Of course always looking for a good restaurant and bakery for after the show..LOL's.
What time does the show usually get over? Are the restaurants usually open still? I always have a hard time finding someplace to pig out at after the show, always ending up settling for something I dont really want and making up for it the next day!:D

HeavyDutyGuy
03-28-2009, 05:46 PM
LittleD, I think most of the restaurants are open late on fri and Sat night. Our favorite was the Hard Rock Cafe. Great, fun and good food. There's quite a few good restaurants you can walk to from the Sheraton. Its right on a river too! How cool is that? Gerry, I'm sorry I didn't know your wife was deceased. I feel like I stuck my size 13 foot in my mouth a bit. Oh yeah LD, I think he tries to end the show by 11 or before if I remember correctly. And Weds through Sun is perfect.

GerryT
03-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks, HD, and nothing to be sorry about. You had no way of knowing. You're a good guy and I appreciate that.

D, I think the Saturday night show ended just around 11PM last year. It could run a bit longer this year because of the addition of bikini. But if it is running late, Gary will try to get one or more of the eateries to stay open till 12:30 or 1AM. He did that a couple years ago.

I usually stay till Sunday. Last year, I stayed till Monday morning because of transportation. But Wednesday through Sunday would be a good visit.

Looking forward to this already!

HeavyDutyGuy
04-06-2009, 03:45 PM
A little over 14 weeks to go! Time to start making reservations and looking into travel plans. I've booked the hotel room. Still looking into plane fares. Its going to be fun!

GerryT
04-07-2009, 02:30 PM
True, time is flying. I'll be making my arrangements by the end of the week. Look forward to seeing everyone on and off stage.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Rooms booked and I just got our plane tickets on Friday. Got a great deal, 199 plus taxes, etc. Came to 459 total for both. That's about what I paid for one last year! Not bad. I still have to renew my NPC card and send in my entry fee. Anyone know if I can do that by credit card?

GerryT
04-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey, bro. Entry fee can only be paid by money order.

http://www.garyudit.com/npc_entry.html

Far as I know, gary transacts everything by money order only.

And according to http://www.npcnewsonline.com membership card can only be paid for by check.

Guess they are all suspicious of credit!

MsGuns
04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
I verified with Gary Udit that the Masters Nationals IS a pro qualifier for the bikini division winner. His website had an incomplete listing & he changed it after I asked him about it.

Women cannot cross from bikini to figure in any NPC show this year, including this one.

Is this true on local shows?
I asked because the @ Ronnie Coleman...a gurl won her bikini class and her figure class.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey, bro. Entry fee can only be paid by money order.

http://www.garyudit.com/npc_entry.html

Far as I know, gary transacts everything by money order only.

And according to http://www.npcnewsonline.com membership card can only be paid for by check.

Guess they are all suspicious of credit!

I guess so! Thanks!

HeavyDutyGuy
04-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Is this true on local shows?
I asked because the @ Ronnie Coleman...a gurl won her bikini class and her figure class.

Its true at the National level and pro qualifiers. I think at local shows, it might be up to the discretion of the promoter. Check with him/her.

gman
04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
If I am going low budget, is it tough to drive in to the Sheraton from a cheaper hotel in the burbs, and is parking easy to find?