PDA

View Full Version : Bulking w/ Anabolic Diet

neofarq
07-30-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm currently in my off-season and sticking with the pretty standard lean bulk diet: Good clean carbs and protein during the day, big breakfast after morning workout and big dinner after evening workout.

I did a show in May and have really been makn an effort to still stay lean although I still find w the addition of the carbs I still will get some added bodyfat.

I've been reading a lot about the Anabolic Diet (5-6 days high fat/pro in ketosis and 1-2 days carb load) and it really seems to help put quality size on while minimizing bodyfat.

There's a guy at my gym who does it and basically stays shredded year round while putting on size.

I am looking to stay as lean as possible and hope to add 10 lbs. of muscle in the next year or so.

Sidenote: I am not natural so I'm note sure if I should try this between cycles (maybe good idea b/c will jump my natty tes n GH up) or do it while on.

Here is a link to a really good article about it:
http://www.australia-bodybuilding.com/Fitness%20-%20Anabolic%20Diet.pdf

So has anybody seen good results with this diet in the off-season? Thoughts? Comments?

Frosty
07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Can be a good way for guys that have a tough time making lean gains, natural or otherwise.

A couple quick notes on this:

1. Calories may often need to be higher during the low carb phase than people might be used to with carb diets.

2. It's harder to gain fat on, but it CAN be done lol

3. Betaine HCl is likely needed for many guys to digest all the protein needed. Often guys need 2-2.25g/lb bwt (assuming decently lean).

4. The carb loads take a lot of experimenting. I prefer to start short and assess results and increase in time if needed. It depends on so many different factors....some guys can go two days all out 10k cal per day while others have to keep it to 12 hours or less to keep lean. The leaner you are the more time/calories you can do for this, though.

BCAAs and leucine can be very useful to gain mass on low carbs.

I also think being a bit smarter in the fat sources on the diet is a good idea. Try to keep decent healthy fats in there, but don't try to bulk on turkey breast, tuna, and olive oil :)

neofarq
07-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I think I'm gonna start with a 36 hr. carb load, start friday night and end with breakfast on Sunday morning or Possibly just load Frdiay night and Saturday.

I like your idea of incorporating the healthy fats....... Heres what I was thinking to start with...

6 AM
4 Omega Eggs whole, 2 Whites
2-3 Slices bacon

9 AM
2-3 Tablespoons Almond Butter
1 Scoop Whey, 1 Scoop Casein or substitute steak

12 PM
8-10 Oz. Steak or Ground Beef
Spinach Salad w Mac nut oil

3 PM
2-3 Tablespoons Almond Butter
1 Scoop Whey, 1 Scoop Casein or substitute steak

Post Workout
2 Scoops Isolate
BCAA's & Glutamine

7 PM
8-10 oz. Ground Beef
Few slices Cheddar cheese
Spinach

10 PM
1 Scoop Casein
1-2 Tablespoons Almond Butter

Basically Im thinking of combining a Red Meat or Fatty protein source and a healthy fat source i.e. the almond butter

Thought's????

Frosty
07-31-2009, 12:21 PM
I would recommend starting out shorter and increasing in time if needed for the load. That's often where most guys get screwed up is carbing too long.

What is the macro breakdown of that diet you listed?

neofarq
07-31-2009, 01:03 PM
This above diet was just a starting point. I will have to tweak the portion sizes but I think I'm goin to shoot for about 3,600-3,800 cals a day to start out with. Probably 2 grams pro/lb. bdywght and 1 gram fat/lb. bdy weight and carbs under 30 a day.

So this would give me a total of:
400g. Pro = 1,600 cals 45 %
200g. Fat = 1,800 cals 51%
30 g carbs = 120 cals 4%
3,520 Cals total = 45/51/4 Split

Although my protein and fat may actually be a little higher. The main concern is to get the fats above 40% and keep carbs below 30 right?

What do you think about my total calories? I workout 5 days a week, each day consists of 5AM and 6PM workouts, each about 45 min.-1 hr. Should I aim more for like 4,000 Calories??

Frosty
07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Start from the 3500 cals and see what results you get after 2 weeks. Change if needed based on results.