PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Staying Clean and Sober

Sistersteel
07-31-2009, 03:54 AM
1- Be grateful. If you are grateful for being sober you won't give it up easily. Keep reminding yourself of all the good that is coming into your life by remaining drug/ alcohol free.

2- Never allow your mind to wonder if you really hit rock bottom; if you still have a few years of drinking or using left to go. This type of thinking almost killed me. Your rock bottom is death and you don't want to go there.

3-Don't compare your drug or alcohol habit with others. There will always be those who quit younger or older or who lost more or less. Recovery is not a competition and you don't have to earn you place in it.

4- Don't beat yourself up! When you get sober you have already started to put your life back together but it will take time. You won't be perfect overnight. The fact that you are sober means that you are already on the right path; it doesn't matter so much how fast you go the main thing is that you are now going in the right direction.

5- Recovery is something to be enjoyed and not endured. Life free from addiction can really be so fantastic. Amazing things can happen and being sober means that you can appreciate the simple things.

6- Get physically fit. We abuse our body in addiction, but there is no excuse for this in sobriety. A healthy body does lead to a healthy mind. Fitness can bring a sense of well-being that most of us have never really known. It is important to be sensible though, don't overdo it.

7- If you belong to a fellowship make use of it. These can really offer so much support and provide a social life. If you do belong to a support group be an active member, but you should also accept that other people can get sober using different methods.

8- Bad days will come to all of us. They don't last forever. Realise this.

9- Use meditation/ Tai Chi or other activity which will help us deal with stress and develop our brains.

10- Try and think about other people. Most addicts are completely self-absorbed and this makes life miserable. The secret in life is that thinking about and helping other people brings the greatest joy in life.

11- Don't accept that relapse is a normal part of recovery. It isn't. If you relapse get up and clean yourself off, but don't talk yourself into one.

SS

Shawn Bellon
07-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Nice poster Sister Steel.

cobra
08-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Number one tip: Don't use and make meetings.

fitbody
10-15-2009, 06:56 PM
remember: one is too many and 1000 never enough !

bndniron4evrgal
10-15-2009, 07:02 PM
I AM A GRATEFUL RECOVERING ADDICT......:p

bigmikecox
11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I read that EVERYDAY!!!!! One day at time!!!

fitbody
01-02-2010, 01:03 AM
i never get cocky with my addiction
one is too many and 1000 is never enough

razorsedge
01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I drank to get drunk. Recently celebrated many years of sobriety but still
go to meetings because my own thinking tells me I am cured when I am
not. I need constant reminders.

Big Sky Guy
01-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Good words in here!

Last night I was visiting with several people who just went through their 1st Holidays clean and sober. The common theme was the experience being surreal. They stayed busy and connected to people in the program and learned that they could do it!

One of the reasons I love making meetings! Encouraging others in their journey and it reminds me of my first Holidays and how much has changed for the better!

Happy New Year!

razorsedge
01-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Meeting also remind us that the program works.:yep:

Heavy Metal
01-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Hittin the Gym and then a meeting tonight.

Stokked on the RX!!!

Jello
01-15-2010, 10:51 PM
The best thing I found to do to help is to find something that can keep you busy. If you don't give yourself time to sit around and think about what you could be doing, then you will be a lot less likely to do something stupid.