PDA

View Full Version : Words of wisdom for the new girls on the block

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Whether they see you in the gym, and want to be you, or are ready to try their luck on the stage, being that you have the experience in both, what are the things you would tell them to ease their transition into this new life?

Allifit
02-20-2009, 01:07 PM
That there is no "easing". Close your eyes and leap.

:)

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Nice. That would scare some, but if you have that fear, you probably do not belong there in the first place.

:D

BadAssBarbie
02-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I'd make sure they know how much work is involved, the commitment it requires, and the great expense that's involved. It definitely is NOT easy...and NOT for the weak!! I'd also tell them that when show time has arrived, and you're up on that stage...it's all worth it!

Kelly Baker
02-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I'd say life is too short to wonder what you "could have" done. Go for it!

Suzanne
02-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Gaining muscle is a long term activity
Losing weight doesn't happen over night

commitment and consistency

quadrablue
02-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Your life as you know it will never be the same. Be prepared!!!

tammyp
02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
hire a good trainer that knows how to work with women.

learn everything you can about what you put in your body.

have fun and enjoy the ride!

BadAssBarbie
02-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Tammy, I just read your signature....cute:)

musclegoddess65
02-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I'd tell them it ain't easy, and somedays its not even fun - you miss out on a lot of fun and parties along the way...BUT it IS one of the most rewarding things you will ever experience.

You will learn things about yourself you never knew existed and you will meet some of the most wonderful people, men and women, along the journey

**blondie**
02-20-2009, 07:36 PM
I'd say....
if your not going to put everything you have into it then don't do it at all,
also hire a good trainer,
& it's definitely worth it!

**blondie**
02-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Focus on yourself and don't worry about what other people are saying. Female bodybuilders have a lot of fans at the gym, work, etc. but also have to deal with people who have negative comments or questions. You have to develop thick skin and just the sport enough to not be phased by the negative people.

Oh this is soooooo true!!!! You just kinda gotta get the "this is what i do & if you don't like it then screw you" kind of attitude!

lymbo
02-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Be a fan and friend of your piers. Set your own bar high. Never envy someone your not. Admire them and be your self.

corrie79
02-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Oh this is soooooo true!!!! You just kinda gotta get the "this is what i do & if you don't like it then screw you" kind of attitude!
OMG I'm just learning this, as this is all new to me, pursuing the local figure circuit, that people can be total assholes and cruel about what they say about me. Just awful awful things. GX knows what i"m talking about. So does Sho. You really do have to have a thick skin which I don't...jealousy too, that's another one I haven't experienced since high school and thought adults would be over that one at this point, not true!!!

Heather Grace
02-21-2009, 10:27 AM
I would mention the monetary aspect- there is NOTHING inexpensive in what we do!!!!!!!

Erin
02-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Speaking of actually COMPETING...

There is a reason people use the term "off season" body, which can be COMPLETELY different from your dieted down body.

Be prepared to have 2 sizes of clothes in the closet.

tammyp
02-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Speaking of actually COMPETING...

There is a reason people use the term "off season" body, which can be COMPLETELY different from your dieted down body.

Be prepared to have 2 sizes of clothes in the closet.

for sure! and have a plan when your show is over.

quadrablue
02-21-2009, 01:10 PM
for sure! and have a plan when your show is over.

SOOOO important!!!

musclegoddess65
02-22-2009, 08:34 AM
I'd have to add, along the lines of what Erin posted... and Tammy about having a plan when the show is over... be prepared for the mental head game you will play with yourself afterward.

Realize contest shape is just that, a shape you are in for a day or two. You can't walk around every day looking like you could get on stage tomorrow - but if you are prepared for the 'after life' you also won't find yourself spinning out of control into a downward spiral and waking up later with 20 extra pounds.

fitbody
02-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Whether they see you in the gym, and want to be you, or are ready to try their luck on the stage, being that you have the experience in both, what are the things you would tell them to ease their transition into this new life?

In this game: training & nutrition
you simply get out of it what you put in !!!